Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

11/11/13 - Washington, DC - The Hamilton

Guest Guest

This is the place to post all tweets, recaps, pics and vids of the November 11, 2013, Washington, DC, The Hamilton concert. We hope everyone going has a great time and remember the rest of us live vicariously through you! Very Happy

We would appreciate it if everyone posting here take the following guidelines into account. They are intended to respect our members as well as people who are not part of our forum and to make the concert threads as easy to read as possible. Very Happy

1. We will not tolerate any talk about fan behavior that involves any bashing, naming names or personal details. Ignoring this warning will earn members a 24 hour ban. Discussion of any retaliation or physical harm against another fan for any reason, will potentially result in a permanent ban from this board.

2. When posting photos and videos, please give credit to the photographer (or writer of a recap) whenever possible. If you see an uncredited photo/video in this thread and know who took it, we'd love for you to share her/his name so we can add the credit to the post it's in. And finally, out of respect for the fantastic photographers we have in the fandom, we ask that, if you'd like to use a photo you see here for an avatar, signature or other graphic, please contact the photographer first for permission if you are able, before altering any of their work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setlist:

(to be determined)

Guest Guest
Reserved for videos

Guest Guest
Reserved for pictures

Guest Guest

I thought only Jeannie and I were up at this hour LOL flag 

@pn112 wrote:
Looky what I found! At this hour of the am!!

Oh my goodness, that's the back of my blonde head. I took off my shoes and danced... it was a beautiful venue with plush carpeting. I would not have done it otherwise lol

I will provide a recap... great show!

Actually, I kinda slept in this am for a change. It's usually like 4:00 am! Damned bladder!! LOL Very Happy 

What a great show! I believe it was David's fourth night in the row, with Freehold being the night before. His voice sounded a little taxed in a few of the songs, and he confessed he had not showered since the day before... Further commenting that there may be a rodent on his head, and the wool cap was not coming off because he had yesterday's hair with bedhead on top.

But I still love him.

The venue was absolutely gorgeous. The Hamilton in DC, which is a very nice restaurant with a music venue downstairs. Gracious with wall murals, marble floors, dark cherry, etc. Very DC. It was a seated venue with tables perpendicular to the stage. Nice menu, excellent service.

I thoroughly enjoyed the opening act- Jenny Owens Young. I would describe her as alternate folk, just Jenny and her guitar. Her sound was reminiscent of the Juno soundtrack.

Like everyone else, I LOVE the drum intro and rollover into Paper Heart. That is one of my favorite songs off of TLM. For the new songs, I really like: Laying Me Low, Eyes On You, I'm Gonna Love You.  As beautiful as the venue is concerned, it really wasn't a "let it loose" kind of place and he really wanted people to dance for Eyes On You. So he stopped the song, and dragged down his two co-writers of the song (Andy Waldeck and Crix Riordan) from the terrace bar to be his Fly-Guys and get everyone going. It worked! Lots of fun.

Can I say that Secret Garden is my new favorite cover? Wow. David's voice is incomparable singing Springsteen's poetic words. Just stunning. And I also love Andy's steely-sounding guitar which adds dare-I-say a country vibe until it breaks into rock at the end.

Laying Me Low closed the show and was a highlight. Why? Some of you who were at the Night for Hope concert in May 2012 may recall the talkative and charismatic teen who was a brain tumor survivor who introduced David. His name is Michael DiMaio. Apparently he had mentioned to David that he plays the sax and would love to perform with David the next time he comes to town. And of course David said they would have to do that. Well apparently Michael proceeded to email David's manager every week for the past year, and ultimately Michael joined the band on stage with his sax for Laying Me Low. It was fantastic! Michael jammed like a pro. His family was there with signs and it was a beautiful moment.

David did not come out after the show. I heard the Freehold VIP went very very late the night before, as it was done after the performance. I did not get VIP (which occurred before the show) here in DC.

BUT, in the parking garage afterwards my friend and I were waiting for our cars with... Waldeck and Riordan, and Michael and his family and we all had a wonderful chat. The former had written Laying Me Low with David and I told them that IMO was the best single that David has released. I really believe that no question and they knowingly grinned at each other. Eyes on You too? These guys need to write with David some more!

Michael is 17, doing very well, and is busy applying to colleges.

All around, a wonderful night. I want him to come back after the New Year! Hopefully to Richmond or Charlottesville? Fingers crossed. If so, I will be there!

Guest Guest
Aww Chrissy... what a great recap! I have seen the videos of the Fly Guys dancing. What a hoot that was! I love Eyes on You and have from the first moment I heard it. How can you possible stay still during that song?

I hadn't heard about Michael. That is so cool! I definitely have to find that video and watch it!

Thank you Chrissy for your wonderful recap!! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us!!