Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Unbelievable!!

Guest Guest
Just booked my lad in for his CBT on his 16th Birthday. I wasn't going to do it on his birthday as I thought he needed his theory test first.

No he doesn't need to do a theory first, just the CBT.

I'm amazed you really would think that it would make sense for young kids to know signs, line markings etc etc before they are let out on the road!

So anyway, his doing his CBT and WILL be doing his theory asap, not to mention coming out with me and his dad!!

they dont go straight out on the road. theres offroad training in the morning as well as a short talk inside with diagrams etc etc

it isnt much, but they only let you out on the road in the afternoon if you're good enough in the morning.

I agree though, the theory is pretty important for using the roads

Wile I was Helping instucting CBT I found that only a tiny percent of the people that came where dressed for the event having said that it was mainly the girls that had proper riding gear and took notice, all the lads wanted was that bit of paper at any cost.
And no matter how many times we told them the importance of wearing gloves,boots and proper motorcycle clothing You see would see them riding round town a week later in jeans a tshirt and trainers.
I felt I was waisting my breath and moved on to The Advanced Lads much better.
Now I ride all nice and proper like.

@XS1100 wrote:
Wile I was Helping instucting CBT I found that only a tiny percent of the people that came where dressed for the event having said that it was mainly the girls that had proper riding gear and took notice, all the lads wanted was that bit of paper at any cost.
And no matter how many times we told them the importance of wearing gloves,boots and proper motorcycle clothing You see would see them riding round town a week later in jeans a tshirt and trainers.
I agree with you there mate ive always said they should show them a dvd of what could happen if they were to fall without the proper gear on thumbs

Rose wrote:
Just booked my lad in for his CBT on his 16th Birthday. I wasn't going to do it on his birthday as I thought he needed his theory test first.

No he doesn't need to do a theory first, just the CBT.

I'm amazed you really would think that it would make sense for young kids to know signs, line markings etc etc before they are let out on the road!

So anyway, his doing his CBT and WILL be doing his theory asap, not to mention coming out with me and his dad!!
Happy Days, give him all the best from me, and yea Rose i thought that would have made sense too thumbs

Guest Guest
@XS1100 wrote:

At least having both parents that ride, he has more kit than you can shake a stick at! The threat of me or his dad giving him a good hididng, should we ever and I mean EVER see him not wearing his kit on the bike, well what can I say. I don't think he would get over it in a hurry!

His pretty sensible though! moped

Rose wrote:
@XS1100 wrote:

At least having both parents that ride, he has more kit than you can shake a stick at! The threat of me or his dad giving him a good hididng, should we ever and I mean EVER see him not wearing his kit on the bike, well what can I say. I don't think he would get over it in a hurry!

you didnt say that when he was coming home on the bus in the snow Laughing

Guest Guest
@Davehutch wrote:
Rose wrote:
@XS1100 wrote:

you didnt say that when he was coming home on the bus in the snow Laughing

True he has his moments, like most blokes!! Shocked

nice one rose,you could always get him a highway code book so he can swot up before his cbt.

Guest Guest
@dick65 wrote:
nice one rose,you could always get him a highway code book so he can swot up before his cbt.

Already on that, his been reading that for ages and doing the online tests. He will do his theory asap!

Rose wrote:
@dick65 wrote:

Already on that, his been reading that for ages and doing the online tests. He will do his theory asap!

thumbs i hope your testing him Wink

Rose,
Yes your correct,
I am sure your son will pass first time and go on to enjoy motorcyling:)
Its just that the pond life I was dealing with (most of them) had no intention of passing there test and moving onward and up they wanted cheep wheels until they get there WRX.......sad init. No new up and coming ...

At least having both parents that ride, he has more kit than you can
shake a stick at! The threat of me or his dad giving him a good hididng,
should we ever and I mean EVER see him not wearing his kit on the
bike, well what can I say. I don't think he would get over it in a
hurry!

Rose i went out gloveless the other day, waiting for my spanking! Twisted Evil

ITCHY wrote:
At least having both parents that ride, he has more kit than you can
shake a stick at! The threat of me or his dad giving him a good hididng,
should we ever and I mean EVER see him not wearing his kit on the
bike, well what can I say. I don't think he would get over it in a
hurry!

Rose i went out gloveless the other day, waiting for my spanking! Twisted Evil

foflfofl

Guest Guest
You do highway code as part as the theory, just not a seperate test... and my instructors gave us long lectures about what gear to wear, showed us pics etc. Depends on the teacher I suppose.

My son & daughter both have 600 sports bikes and they know NEVER to go out without the proper gear on, and last year my son had a practical lesson when some muppet "T" boned him at a junction, he got up and walked away because he had the correct gear on thumbs

I've gotta say I think the CBT is the weakest part of the tests. Doesn't prepare anyone for anything unless you get a good school - the one I did mine at regularly refused to give out certificates if they believed the rider wouldn't be safe, they cared. But there are loads of places that'll take the £100 or so and hand out CBTs to all and sundry. Saw a lad on a scooter nearly get wiped out the other morning - all because of a missed life saver. I firmly believe the CBT training needs to be tougher.

Mind you, perhaps not to the level of the current 2 part test - which is, as you all probably know, being dumped!

Guest Guest

I do have to agree with you there Thing. I was in the hairdresses last year where I saw an instructor, rev his bike, pull up along side a student and shout the hell outa him. I was disgusted by the behaviour.

The place Luke is going is great, they got me through my test after I changed to them. The school I had been with showed no interest after I failed my test. long story too boring but what came of it was the recommendation for this school.

His also lucky because both of us ride and have intercoms too, the week of his CBT is a half term. So whether he likes it or not, after (fingers crossed) he passes, all that week he will be out with his dad and I on his bike, more his dad tbh as he has the patience, I'd just lose it!!

Trying to find him a decent bike now as he doesn't really want a moped (proper biker in the making) and a reasonable one is like rocking horse poop!!

Best of luck to him - and you all - Rose!

He'll be fine, having the back up of biker parents. No jeans and a t-shirt whilst riding, there, I think!

Guest Guest

not everyone remembers what they were trained to do... if you're all honest with yourselves, how many of you still drive with hands at 10.10? How many drivers check their mirrors and shoulders? I know I only started doing it religiously when I started riding. Nothing like being a biker to be a better driver. Kids on peds think they are invincible and going on what I've seen some of them do on them crappy things down the stuntspot, they'll make great bikers - if they survive. They have the impetus of youth behind them. I remember that Laughing

Guest Guest

just remember a cbt is not a test
its basic training thumbs

rose am sure he will be safe. just think some push bikes go faster and they were shorts and t shirts Shocked