Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkember

I need to put something to bed

I own a K1 series B12 & have always noticed a howel comming from the transmission especially noticeable in fourth gear.

There has never been any sloppiness in the gear shifts nor any gear dropouts. The bike pulls like a train in all gears & the only gear misses are rider induced when I wear my steel toecapped work boots, which are rather clumbsy. Embarassed

I have heard other K1 owners with the same noises & was wondering if the gears are straight cut and maybe this would be the cause.

Bike has done shy of 24K been fully maintained & systematically serviced using correct semi synth oils. All advice welcome study

Ive owned over a dozen B12's over the years and a few have had a noisey gear or 2.Mostly 4th.If they were straight cut all gears would do it i think?

Hi darkember, I have a bandit 1200k5 and have a close fitting pyramid plastics hugger, when I had a new tyre fitted there was a very load transmission howl which was eventually traced to the hugger resonating, possibly caused by the altered profile of the tyre. I swiched to the standard guard, problem gone. Now the tyre has a couple of thou miles I've switched back, ok so far.
I'm also replacing my chain and sprockets and the O.E.M front engine sprocket has a damping rubber to cut transmission noise could yours be an aftermarket sprocket without this damper? just a couple of thoughts and hope you find a cure. wave
Mike. thumbs

Just an addition that was not mentioned in my first post.

The howel only occurs under load either when I drop down from 5th to 4th or when I shift up from 3rd to 4th. It also only occurs between 30-40 mph.

Gravel thanks for the advice need to check from the previous owner about the sprocket & will try the hugger idea.

Just spoke to the previous owner & he had fitted a full DID kit front/back & chain. So now I'm well happy that the noise will be the undampened front sprocket. thumbsthumbsthumbs

Put a brand new 530XHO chain n sprox on last week... guess what... now got a bloody annoying whine so its probably that mate

The rubber is integral to the sprocket and cannot be taken off to put with a pattern part Rolling Eyes

(same sprocket for b6/b12) Mike. thumbs

Thanks for the pictures gravel was wondering what the dampened ones looked like compared to the aftermarket ones. thumbs