Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Iridium plug question

Guest Guest
Probably a really stupid question but I hope someone can answer before I take a look at the bike tomorrow.

Got a set of Iridium plugs and plan on fitting them tomorrow on my B12 and noticed that they all have just the threads on the top of them not the little cap that screws on. It’s been about 10 years since touching a plug is this how they are now or has the place I brought the plugs from cocked up?

Hope this makes since but here is a pic anyway

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/Hawki77/Plug.jpg

There fine m8..Thats how there got to be thumbs

nope its all fine, when i bought mine i had to take the caps off for the leads to fix on so dont worry you dont need them thumbs

Guest Guest
Glad thats the case thanks guys. Last thing I needed was to take the tank off and find that it was all not going to happen tomorrow. Want to put these bad boys in and maybe carbtune her as she is a little coughy at the moment.

If u are useing your original leads u will just need to unscrew the cap off your original plug and screw it onto the new iradium plug, then the lead plug cap will clip on the iradium plug. thumbs

Hawki wrote:
Glad thats the case thanks guys. Last thing I needed was to take the tank off and find that it was all not going to happen tomorrow. Want to put these bad boys in and maybe carbtune her as she is a little coughy at the moment.

Btw you dont have to remove the tank to change the plugs Very Happy

Guest Guest
If u are useing your original leads u will just need to unscrew the cap off your original plug and screw it onto the new iradium plug, then the lead plug cap will clip on the iradium plug. thumbs

I was thinking this and hoping when I get them out this would be possible thanks Rob thumbs

@darkember wrote:
Hawki wrote:

Really? I can't even get my hand under there never mind my socket. I'll have a real look tomorrow but thanks for the info.

Hawki wrote:

I was thinking this and hoping when I get them out this would be possible thanks Rob thumbs

@darkember wrote:
Hawki wrote:

Really? I can't even get my hand under there never mind my socket. I'll have a real look tomorrow but thanks for the info.

Hey hawki give me a call defo u dont have to remove the tank 20 mins & the job is done as long as u have the plug socket tool thumbs

Let us know how ya get on with them plugs?

how the bike runs ect ect

put some in my b6,seems to run a little lumpy till it gets warm

mine doesnt like iridiums, bastard to get started once its hot.
i run standard plugs in mine, seems to run better.

Guest Guest

I didn't see the clip until just now as I'm having a beer after a day in the garage. I did take the tank off in the end as I wanted to have a look around and check out the carb and run a wire under the tank.

When I checked out the tool in the tool pack saw what you meant about not needing to take the tank off DarkEmber but I wanted to have a good blast with the air gun before removing the plugs anyway.

I put the Iridiums in, fitted K&N filter and replaced some lights on instruments to blue LEDs which I've had for an age (and when you check out the picture you will see I missed one Sad )

Anyway after it warmed up (which seemed a little quicker than normal to be honest) I went for some fuel and so far she seems a little more brisk. I’ll know more tomorrow with my ride to work as I’ll check out most of the ranges. She does smell a little rich still but I’ll run for a few days and see about carb tuning and mixtures once I have a slave tank. I did not have the balls to balance my tank on the bike for a tune but want to run a tank from the garage joist for this job I think Very Happy.

All in all first time working on the B12 and on engines for about 6+ years so I'm happy that it all went well in the end. You won't belive me but the worse bit of all was fitting the bloody screen back on the bike Shocked I had to use an old car window trick of using some wire with washing up liquid to get the gromits back in place.

Hawki wrote:
I didn't see the clip until just now as I'm having a beer after a day in the garage. I did take the tank off in the end as I wanted to have a look around and check out the carb and run a wire under the tank.

When I checked out the tool in the tool pack saw what you meant about not needing to take the tank off DarkEmber but I wanted to have a good blast with the air gun before removing the plugs anyway.

I put the Iridiums in, fitted K&N filter and replaced some lights on instruments to blue LEDs which I've had for an age (and when you check out the picture you will see I missed one Sad )

Anyway after it warmed up (which seemed a little quicker than normal to be honest) I went for some fuel and so far she seems a little more brisk. I’ll know more tomorrow with my ride to work as I’ll check out most of the ranges. She does smell a little rich still but I’ll run for a few days and see about carb tuning and mixtures once I have a slave tank. I did not have the balls to balance my tank on the bike for a tune but want to run a tank from the garage joist for this job I think Very Happy.

All in all first time working on the B12 and on engines for about 6+ years so I'm happy that it all went well in the end. You won't belive me but the worse bit of all was fitting the bloody screen back on the bike Shocked I had to use an old car window trick of using some wire with washing up liquid to get the gromits back in place.
Well done Andy shes all ready for next weekend mbikembikembike

Guest Guest
Thanks guys. Half of my lights were blown anyway so wanted to see when riding at night and think black bike with blue lights is cool. When I get some more standard white ones will replace all the bulbs to LED.

Guest Guest

Its been a few weeks now so I thought I'd post this up.

Straight after I put in the new plugs the next weeks riding I noticed not only did she run a little quicker but also my miles per tank has gone up as well thumbsthumbsthumbs

So thinking I must have it wrong thought I'd just see how she goes and yes every week so far I've been getting 15-20 more miles per tank full Very Happy
partypartyparty

Now all I did was change the plugs and put in a K&N filter into my standard air box so did not think it was a lot...you never know may be the blue LED's have helped fofl

Dont know bout the leds but the k&n will have leaned out the mixture marginaly so that will prob account for the improved fuel consumption. thumbs

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info Rob makes sense. Just did not think it would be that big a deal to be honest. Also one week it did do more like an extra 30-40 miles per tank but that was with a trip to Lincoln and Preston thrown in thumbs