Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BanditMike

Motor Mechanics

Given the amount of "tinkering" about that goes on, I'm assuming that some of the guys (or gals) on here may be involved in working in the motor trade as mechanics. If there are any that do then they may already be aware of this but I'll mention it anyway.

The eldest son mentioned it to me and I have spoken to the Tax Office about it and it is real. If you work in the motor trade as a mechanic and have bought all your own tools for use at work, then you are entitled to claim tax relief against the expenditure. I've drafted out a basic letter for the two sons so if anyone is interested, then let me know and I'll put the text of the letter in here. It can then be copied onto a simple word document.

You don't need any copy invoices or such to make the initial claim, but I would guess that if the Tax Office choose to investigate you'll need something, so best be sure of the figures you put in.

agree claim it every year its not much,but every little helps thumbs

@lee wrote:
agree claim it every year its not much,but every little helps thumbs

Must admit, I never relaised you could claim it! Kids have a few years worth so may get a reasonable lumper from it. Fingers crossed.

Its also the same for clothing provided by your firm,
as long as it has a firms logo then u can claim for washing it. thumbs

Or they can be sneaky and give you a slightly higher tax code to compensate, which doesn't really feel like your getting it Rolling Eyes

I didn't know about this, would be very interested in doing it. Spent thousands over the last 6 years.

something like £120 a year last time i got it. Your employer should be able to sort it for you. Mine did without me even asking. The first I knew about it was when I got told it was done. thumbs

@haveugot1 wrote:
Its also the same for clothing provided by your firm,
as long as it has a firms logo then u can claim for washing it. thumbs

Had forgotten all about this. Will speak to the sons and ask if they've done this yet. Thanks for the reminder thumbs

@dandan wrote:
I didn't know about this, would be very interested in doing it. Spent thousands over the last 6 years.

Do you want me to drop the text in here? Or pm me your e-mail address and I'll mail you the letter I've typed (in Word) and you can change what you need and send it out.