Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chadatious

is my insurance valid?

just insured my car. they did not ask me if i had any modifcations at all. in policy says does it have any modifications the blokes put "none". however my car has some tsw alloys. the car should have alloys as standard, but these are abit more snazzie. im on fire and theft insurance. is it invalid?

also will they whack the insurance price up Sad

I would tell um any excuse not to shell out and thay wont.I don't think it will make a difference if it dose stick some steel rims on.and flog um

yeh but steel are boring. and these alloys just make the car look smarter in my opinion

If your alloys are bigger than standard 14" alloys then yea i would tell them thumbs

It's the 'makes it smarter' that's the issue

Ok it had alloys as standard but TSW's were not fitted from new so it IS modified.

That said every car I've had has been modified in some way. From alloys to exhaust and even a full body kit... "Has the vehicle been modified from standard?" ... Nope! (I justify it as 'I' haven't made any modifications since I've had it).

At the end of the day insurance is always a risk.

Is it a standard car? The answer is no so its modified.

Read what the insurance company says about non disclosure of modifications. Does it say something like failure to disclose could invalidate your insurance? They ask you to read the proposal and advise them of all incorrect answers. Your responsibility not the insurance company/broker. If you are certain the car started life with alloys of the same size you have nothing to fear by advising them.

Nothing on policy about it invalidate. Tbh. Very little info on policy. Load of crap

I’ve made some modifications to my car, do I need to tell the insurance company about them?

Yes. This is a material change to your vehicle and therefore alters the risk attached to it by the insurance company. Alloy wheels, for instance, may make your vehicle a more attractive target for car thieves. Ultimately, though, car insurance companies will only ever pay out the market value of your vehicle at the time the claim is made. Unless you have an agreed value negotiated, it’s highly debatable whether you would recoup what had been spent on modifications.

So will I have to pay more. Otherwise may have to to standard. These are wider too thou, stick like glue.

Tell um and see what they say chad.or risk it I would not risk it.and take yer time.

i work in the motor trade and deal with insurance company's its a sticky area but unless you tell them you insurance is void and yes your policy will go up

Chad

If your wheel protrudes out beyond the arch you might have another problem.

I understand if the above applies the car is deemed in a dangerous condition. Check it out. The tread and wheel must remain within the arch.

just tell them chad,but if it was me I would put it back to standard.it aint worth the hassle

Had a 1.2 punto elx with a bit exhaust told insurance about it and they wanted an extra £40 over the year so some times it IS worth telling them as any increase is minimal.

There in the arch ken. Just passed mot. And ill ask, just after paying 2 grand for insurance I came afford to buy standards, or up insurance too much

Also how would it effect me. I can't claim on my insurance unless car is burnt or stolen. Or can it effect if it hit somone else

There in the arch ken. Just passed mot. And ill ask, just after paying 2 grand for insurance I came afford to buy standards, or up insurance too much

If you clip a pedestrian with a protruding wheel (non standard car) the insurance company could have a no pay out clause. Worked with a young guy who was hit from the rear. Assessor turned up said wheels non standard as you declared, he had to pay nearly £900 to the insurance company for the 3 previous years he was insured before he was paid out.

Guest Guest

If alloys are as standard to that model, should there be a claim, that is all you will get.

if the guy didn't get all the info - he's mis sold you the policy

if there is a claim, you will only get the standard, not money to replace the snazzy wheels

so yes you are insured but you will only get book price - ask for an agreed value if it's ubber modified thumbs