Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

Breaking bikes ?

I know Chad does a bit of this , But do you think there is money to be made at this , and if so any tips for me , I have a van a trailer and a lock up all i need are some bikes to start breaking , do you think its worth a go scratch

Dave anything is worth a go if you are going to earn extra coin, what ave you got to lose whatever happens you will always sell what you have left on ebay thumbsthumbs

my son goes to scrapyards in his spare time and buys vw parts which he sells on forums and he is doing so well that hes had to rent a storage unit he also offers a wheel repair service which is where i come in handy with me mig welder thumbs i read somewhere that it cost £27.000 to build an r6 from new parts bought separately so go for it dave as theres a lot of people wanting cheaper parts now with the recession thumbs

worth a go Dave,start with popular bikes m8 not those obscure things chad finds cheap Laughingthumbs

you sell the frame with the vc5 rest classed as scrap/salvage?

it would be interesting to see a breakdown of the bits of a Bandit and just what they are worth

worth a go dave,you need to register with online salvage auctions to get them at the right money

and if ya get the right parts you can double ya money,selling the bits polished up

I know someone who can polish cheap Wink

@lee wrote:
worth a go dave,you need to register with online salvage auctions to get them at the right money

and if ya get the right parts you can double ya money,selling the bits polished up

yes think Chad has just brought the kit hide

@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:

but the kits dont tell ya how to do it lol!

@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:

lol! good point lee , but being serious I am really thinking about giving this a go

@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:

It's easy ave stick it on ya drill, smudge some gunge on the pad and go for it hide

@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:

lol! good point lee , but being serious I am really thinking about giving this a go

I would dave,if ya dont you will never know thumbs

What you got to loose Dave, pic up a cheapo bike thats all there is to loose , the cost of the bike, go for it mate thumbs

dont matter if its a bit scuffed Dave get the best bits off double your money put the tat on ebay you might get summat back quids in m8 thumbs

I think it's worth a go Dave, I brought 2 cagiva mitos a couple of years ago and made a few quid.

Watch what your competion is selling then make a decision. Mate of mine (ex racer) had a good business but had to close due to bastards selling stolen bike parts, he would never do that and could not compete on price.

Dont set it up as a business...ive been selling my Wedgwood on ebay for years, dont see the point in calling it a business account ive made a few grand over the years buying it from boot sales and selling it on mostly Americans, they love pottery thumbs i bought about £100 worth last year, and sold it on for a profit of £1800, i had a good 2011 party

ITCHY wrote:
sold it on for a profit of £1800,

affraid nice one Stu thumbs
It was my little secret Very Happy its funny watching antique dealers face's when i walk into there shop Laughing then when i speak and tell them a few things they soon look at me different Laughingthread hijacked sorry Dave

@Stue11 wrote:
Dont set it up as a business...ive been selling my Wedgwood on ebay for years, dont see the point in calling it a business account ive made a few grand over the years buying it from boot sales and selling it on mostly Americans, they love pottery thumbs i bought about £100 worth last year, and sold it on for a profit of £1800, i had a good 2011 party

you just call it the bike fund stue Laughingthumbs

@dick65 wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

Yea too right thumbsthumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@dick65 wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

Yea too right thumbsthumbs

nice one m8 its nice to make something out of a hobby thumbsthumbs

@Stue11 wrote:

agree we all need a little side line thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
I know Chad does a bit of this , But do you think there is money to be made at this , and if so any tips for me , I have a van a trailer and a lock up all i need are some bikes to start breaking , do you think its worth a go scratch

I looked at this a couple of years ago Dave and if you do it as and when as a sideline it's worth a go. Doing it all legit is a whole new kettle of worms - a few grand for the relevant environmental licences is just the start. Biggest problem is getting hold of the bikes at the right money and quantity. Sometimes I think it's worth buying a straight bike and chucking it down the road for a profit looking at some of the prices of salvage bikes Sad

Buying directly from the insurers was the ideal, but most now only deal with one of the two or three clearing/auction firms - and you can spend a wee while laughing at the bids on C****t. The insurers that will sell to you mostly want a guarantee that you will take *all* their bikes within a certain radius, usually including collection & storage of the bikes that haven't cleared yet.

Yes you can run up a list of parts prices on your chosen bike and think there is a bomb to be made, but rock up to Lester's and see how much unsold stock they have kicking about.

Then again, you did flog those used car ramps at 3x retail, so you do have a talent Laughing

@Davehutch wrote:

Its only worth a go if you get quality bikes for cheap thumbs stay away from moped's aswell..

This is something i've started doing,
and another reason for the 6m x 9m shed
and new tools / bike lifts etc.

Im going to stick to what I know and like,
Chain drive, Air/Oil/Water-cooled, 4 cylinder
Suzuki's over a 1000cc.

Bandits, GSX1100ET/EX/EF, Hayabusa's, B-Kings,
Katana's, GSXR1100's etc.

Im not out to make big money or quick money
and I expect to sit on some parts for a while.

The bikes im looking at are the backbone of
the streetfighter scene and drag racing,
both of which im involved with.

The downside of my idea is the bikes im looking
at are not normaly $50 or "take it away" junk,
so a bit of investment is involved, but then
again its an excuse to collect more stuff!

Also looking at bring a few items in from
the UK and the US, but only stuff I can afford
to have sat around, not high $$$ item's
or stuff I have to order in.
Renthals, Headlights etc.

I have put some adverts around in shop windows today , Motorbike wanted, accident damaged , none runner , any cc ring Dave

So will see what comes up WinkWink

@Davehutch wrote:
I have put some adverts around in shop windows today , Motorbike wanted, accident damaged , none runner , any cc ring Dave

So will see what comes up WinkWink

you can only try dave thumbsthumbs

best of luck this time next year you could be a millonaire

Good look Dave, just picked up a bike lift bench for my garage!

Bid on a few today but didnt end up buying anything.

All repairable.

99 Bandit 12, 100,000k, tatty but rides. $1000. £670

Late Oilcooled B12, non runner, had a smack to motor $1000. £670

Gen2 Busa. Bodywork and clocks trashed, motor and frame "looked" OK. $4400. £2980

and a GSXR1000 and a GSX1400.

Was good fun and i'll go back again,
but most of them were listed as "repairable"
on the insurance register so went for an OK price.

Some cheap scooters, GS500's, CB400's
(all learner legal here) and a very light
damaged GL1500 wing for $1200.