Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fr499y

Review: BMW F800ST - 2012

Soo, Since i've been having a few problems with my KTM, ive started to look around at some other bikes, having a few test rides and expressing my opinions Smile So yesturday i took out a brand new BMW F800ST. So new it had 1mile on the clock, brand new brakes/tyres etc so was a bit *EEEEK* worthly!

The Bike:-

My Thoughts:-

So first up a bit of information on this 'thing'. For those who are slightly unfamilier on these, they have a 16L fuel tank in the back of the bike under the seat and a fake plastic hump up front where the tank should be. They are a 800cc parallel twin 6 speed kevlar belt driven 85BHP/63ft lbs Torque, Fuel injected machine that will do 60ish mpg and cost around £15 to fill.

So what are my thoughts on this fine machine? well its better than i was expecting thats for a fact! Although its only 800cc twin, the torque and power on these things is enough to make you grin from one ear to the other! The handling is absolutely brilliant, although the F800ST had brand new tyres/brakes etc you could still throw it around enough to find out what there like. Moving from one side to another is efortless the engine is VERY responsive, 0-60 in no time at all ( i'd say around 6 second mark and thats sticking to about 3k RPM as its a new machine )Coming from a Z1000 and 950SM, i wasnt expecting the bike to be very powerfull, but damn was i suprised! The boxes are tiny, but do expand enough to fit a full faced helmet inside. For me there is deffinetly a few downsides, the front is light and i meen really light!!! its fitted with a steering damper as standard, but the only real weight over the front end is that of the rider, and as im around the 8 stonne mark, it wasnt enough for me to feel comfortable when riding. Slight gust of wind and i could really feel it! Yes there a lot of money for a small, light parallel twin motorcycle ( around the £9,400 mark ). If you get the chance to take one out, i would recommend it. Im going to have to try out the non faired and S model to see if they make a difference to handling with wind ( Less plastic, less for the wind to grab onto )

If you only have one bike, and want one to do everything, then these are worth concidering! ( buy second hand and save a few grand thumbs )

good review Dude thumbsthumbs

Here's a thought Mr Mods, how about a dedicated bike review section?

Thanks for that good wright up,my first impresion was it looked very long and has some rake on the front end.interesting though.How long dose the belt last between changes and is it doable down the shed?

over all dont sound bad and 60 mpg , it well good for a 800cc bike ,

@XS1100 wrote:
Thanks for that good wright up,my first impresion was it looked very long and has some rake on the front end.interesting though.How long dose the belt last between changes and is it doable down the shed?

I think, its 15000 miles for a belt, at a cost of around £250, which might seem steep but when you think about it, you only have to change the belt, no pulley's, unlike chain/sprockets Smile As far as i can recall, BMW have only had a couple snap, and they were well over the recommended replacement time.

And 58/59mpg if your thrashing the ass off it Shocked

The looks are deceiving though! not as long as you think

I suppose its good for touring etc etc but god its ugly Laughing

nice in blue and good mpg is the tank a dummy and will it take a magnetic tank bag?

@Stue11 wrote:
I suppose its good for touring etc etc but god its ugly Laughing

many a good ride on the ugly ones

hidehide

nice one always good to hear what other bikes are like thumbsthumbs

@lee wrote:
nice one always good to hear what other bikes are like thumbsthumbs

Thats one of the good things with this forum people with variety of bikes and experience

thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
nice in blue and good mpg is the tank a dummy and will it take a magnetic tank bag?
Why would you want a tank bag for.... its already got a caravan on the back LaughingLaughinghide

@Stue11 wrote:
@dick65 wrote:
Why would you want a tank bag for.... its already got a caravan on the back LaughingLaughinghide

applausefoflfofl

Great review Matt! Would think a review section to be well received Dave, Stu and Dick!

I'm seriously considering chopping my TL in for one of these! So economical, and look loveley in red - the guy over the road has got one.

Would imagine it would feel a little less light in the "S" rather than the "ST" spec, as you'd be a bit more 'over' the bars then...

Josh pint

Great review Matt! Would think a review section to be well received Dave, Stu and Dick!

I'm seriously considering chopping my TL in for one of these! So economical, and look loveley in red - the guy over the road has got one.

Would imagine it would feel a little less light in the "S" rather than the "ST" spec, as you'd be a bit more 'over' the bars then...

Josh pint

they done clip on's as a extra for the ST but standard on the S so might have to try one when they get one in. however, less fairing up front, less weight! but also less surface area for the wind to grab, so might be just the same as the ST in terms of handling ( which as i say, is flipping good minus how light the front is )

@dick65 wrote:

'tank' is plastic, so magnetic tank bag will not work.