Find results in...
Iano

strange times

been working at the same office over 20 yrs

on monday we are moving to a new building,

however only 80 % of desks are provided

instead of a traditional 5 day week in the office

now to go in 3 days with 'work at home' for 2

and 'book' a desk for those 3 days in work.

good/Bad? don't know, we'll see, work output

moniitored so no daytime TV or Hutchs Forum

EH? scratch
I've read this a few times and still don't get it, how can they make you work at home and "book" a desk?? What do you do?

when he does go in he has to book a desk thumbs should maybe look in a few skips Laughing

a lot of companies are working on virtualisation, which in simple terms meens, virtual PC's running on a cloud based operating system, people can work via remote desktop from home, cutting running costs in half whilst still having a number of desks for people to come in and work at the place there employed Smile

i've recently been issued with a laptop that has vpn installed on it which means when i'm away from work i can still log in check emails, update the works database , check the cctv and see who's clocked in /out etc.
when i was recently signed off ill i was still expected to sign in and work from home on various projects. Sad

@fr499y wrote:
a lot of companies are working on virtualisation, which in simple terms meens, virtual PC's running on a cloud based operating system, people can work via remote desktop from home, cutting running costs in half whilst still having a number of desks for people to come in and work at the place there employed Smile

Yebbut a lot of more 'traditional' firms are against it as they see it as an opportunity to skive. Personally I was a lot more productive when at home than when in the office, plus it saved the hour and a bit commute each way thumbs

Definately the way forward for non-customer facing jobs.

new 'work environment' ok

getting used to it,

old set up = imagine a normal office, you like some people near you and not others but there isn't much to be done so you accept it

new set up is that you choose a desk in advance (up to three weeks) so you book it for the days you will be in, rest of the time you work at home.

turns out that like minded people tend to cluster so you end up more with people you like than previous as all can see who has booked what - you book any desk that is free in a massive room.

downside is that it all takes place in a call centre situation, rows of desks so its noisy and disruptive, like working in a library or a railway station on a bad day. No objects higher than 1.2 m so you can see from one end to the other.

cloud based operating system has loads of glitches, still got a job and don't have to be in all week Very HappyVery Happy

@Iano wrote:
still got a job and don't have to be in all week Very HappyVery Happy

On balance, I'd say that's a decent result thumbs

Hmmn, wonder if I could knock up some Weetabix in the kitchen.