Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gravelrash

Bit of advice please!

Hi everyone wave
Right, won a Carburettor on Ebay (was a good price £23 incl p+p) for my daughters 2006 Honda XR 125
described as off a running 2007 model and in V.G.C. It arrived today wrapped in bubble wrap in a black plastic bag. On opening the bag the carb heater was broken off and the carb was covered in grime, the throttle slide is seized solid due to varnish (which is the main problem). I have emailed the seller (marsays_autos) who has 100% positive feedback but his returned e-mail says it was sent in perfect working order and no refunds or returns will be excepted I have never complained about anything before but am not happy. He wants me to send a photo of the carb to him which I will do tmorrw. I could probably use the jets and floats, but I wanted to just swap the carb. Just after a bit of advice on what my options are scratch
Thanks for reading, Mike.

described as off a running 2007 model and in V.G.C. On opening the bag the carb heater was broken off and the carb was covered in grime, the throttle slide is seized solid due to varnish

Seller speaks with forked tongue, unless the slider has seized whilst laying in a box for a couple of years.

See, if it's been pulled straight off a bike I would expect grime - I've sold carbs that are a *lot* filthier on the outside than the one you bought, which looks quite shiny in the picture.

the seller says it was sent in perfect working order and no refunds or returns will be accepted

Playing Devil's advocate, they are quite entitled to specify no returns/refunds, and the seller said that it was pulled off a working bike, not that the carb was itself in perfect working order.

Mail them a couple of decent pics and point out that your bone of contention is that a seized slider and broken heater do not constitute the item being in very good condition and as the item packing was not damaged by the postie / courier, then the description was inaccuarate.

Explain out that you are not trying to pull a fast one, get a partial refund and then scavenge the useful parts and that you would like them to do the honourable thing and either swap for a working carb, or issue a full refund in return for the carb being sent back.

Don't go on about the grime (makes you sound a bit of a fault-picker) or their 100% feedback (makes you sound like a feedback blaickmailer).

If they still don't budge, you could do a paypal reversal/dispute thing if you feel strongly enough about it - paypal mostly take the side of the buyer anyway, so that could cause him some pain. If that doesn't resolve it, just take the hit, leave them negative feedback, add them to your 'block' list and move on.

Just make sure the feedback isto the point and not abusive or ranty, because then it will carry more weight with any sensible person reading it.

Good luck fella thumbs

Not as described. REFUND. They/he can huff and puff until the end of time but he sold "not as described". No such thing as no refund policy especially when not as described and from a dealer who knows better.

i had simular case with a cd/dvd player for my car.

open a case in the resolution centre, (report a problem option), and then they give you 8 days to sort with the seller, if he does not give you a refund, make you messages clear on what is wrong via the case, and after the 8 days ebay will act, most likely in your favour

The seller has the ability to specify that they will not accept returns when listing an item, ergo there is such a thing.

As to your point about the seller being a dealer, they are registered as a private seller, so either you know something that I don't, or they are breaking ebay's Ts&Cs by not declaring their status as a busines, which the OP may or may not like to try and use a leverage.

Although their user name implies a business, as they have only sold 16 items in two and a half years, I'd suggest that they may not be a dealer, or a very slow/bad one at best. As Gravelrash will have their paypal and contact details he would be in a better position to judge this.

No return policy from ebay. Do I have to offer a return of item.

No, as always, you can decide whether or not to accept returns on some or all of your listings. Keep in mind that if you specify "No returns accepted" on a listing, you are still responsible for the full refund amount—including original shipping costs—if a buyer wins an eBay Buyer Protection case.

Thank you for the response everyone it's appreciated thumbs (Macie do you work for trading standards? cos your very knowledgeable study )
these are the carbs and the pictures I will be sending.

The throttle valve has been soaking in carb cleaner overnight but still will not budge I'm not expecting much in response from the seller but I will keep you informed think I have learned you get what you pay for!

Well they show that the carbs are evidently *not* in v.g.c. so the seller can have no real argument, just depends on how much of a muppet he wants to be. If he doesn't play nicely, ebay/paypal dispute resolution are highly likely to come down in your favour anyway. Personally, my actions would depend more on his response - if he replies in a reasonable manner and does you a deal then fair enough if he comes across as belligerent berk then go for the throat Cool

If you want to piss him off, he is using a trading name thus is responsible for advising revenue and customs of his activities. Failure to do this will result in an immediate fine and assessment of his earning which will run into thousands which he will need to prove he has not had or pay up. This will be far in excess of the price you paid for the carb. If he is pretending to be a private seller or acting the big business man lol he is up to the neck in crap.

Thanks Macie and Ken I have sent the photo's and a friendly E-mail and will see what happens. Remind me never to get on the wrong side of you two! affraidaffraidlol!

sorry to hear about that mike , the above advice is all good not much to add to that but looking at those pics thats not a working carb,go in friendly first and see what happens all guns blazing usually gets you no where,keep us updated mate thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
If all else fails ile take it back in person for ya Twisted EvilTwisted Evil

foflfoflfofl id like to be a fly on the wall m8 thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
take your brother with you stue and he will definitely sh;t himself affraid

@Stue11 wrote:
take your brother with you stue and he will definitely sh;t himself affraid
agreethumbs

@Stue11 wrote:

Thanks Stue its good to have friends thumbsthumbs He has not replied to 2 friendly e-mails I have sent so I'm thinking of using the carb for spares and leaving negative feedback its been a learning experience as so far ebay has been pretty good to me (I've never sold on it yet though!) thank you for all your input everyone thumbs if anything else develops I'll post up salute