Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obalanga

new beginnings

Just landed a new job which requires me to commute 60 mile round trip (on bike) most of which is on the motorway. Many of you will have will have, on your years of experience, seen these but here are my immediate observations.
     A new found respect to wagon drivers for the crap they have to put up with especially on  slip roads.
     A fair few indicate then change lanes with no regard to your approach speed.
     Constantly looking for the dry patch especially on fast bends. Do not fear the wind but attack it to your advantage and shift my weight around the bike to suit.
     Thanks dave for suggesting a really good pair of gloves (enforcers).
     Watching weather on telly abit more closely ( ITV weather woman makes it rather pleasurable).
     Spent an intimate 2 hours on the bike getting all muck off.
     Already made a few mates at work who also ride and there is no shortage of advice on those 6 exit roundabouts.
Idiots in nissan 360zs that bait you into a speed way.
I know the weather is gonna get worse but i will keep riding.

good gears an essential as is bike maintenance, take a steadier pace and plan ahead more and always expect the unexpected, don't be goaded by cagers , I often give folk a thankyou wave as I overtake or if they pull over, - truck drivers I think are the most courteous/helpful folk on the road, ride your own ride and enjoy it, we also get some great weather during the coldest months - I ride year round and love it also makes you a sharper rider i.m.o thumbsthumbs

Dick, You do amazingly well to ride all year round where you live.......I think a 4x4 would struggle sometimes Laughing and your right about sharpening your skills but I haven't rode all year for a couple of years (though still go out on dry days) sometimes the attraction of a heater is just to much to overcome! lol!