Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gravelrash

missing 4 litres

So this bl**dy 500 twin (97 kawasaki er5) is the bane of my life had problems with hydraulic lock due to the petrol tap constantly flowing and the float needle not seating so the fuel filled up the top of the right hand cylinder through the inlet valve so new diaphragm and o-rings for the petrol tap. New float needles, clean and balance for the carbs and in-case of contamination new oil and filters.
So the bike holds 16 litres of fuel including 4 for reserve the bike has covered 85 miles and gone to reserve something is very wrong cos I reckon it should be doing at least 130-150ish to reserve at least...............so where is my missing fuel gone?
oil sump level looks ok just under max.
none on garage floor over night
fuel tank sound with no leaks
lockable fuel filler sound and not tampered with
bike starts and runs fine and doesn't smell excessively rich
going to recheck the vacuum fuel tap again for constant flow cos its a know problem on these bikes.
OH! and looking in the fuel tank it certainly looks empty!
Any help or advice appreciated.

check its not coming out of the overflow when the bike is running and dumping it on the road thumbs

trade it for a CB500, can't go wrong then ( plus they don't whistle! ) Its not coming out the overflow and evaporating over night is it? You should be looking at a bit over 130 miles to a full tank on them things.

My Mrs used to have one of those and if your only getting 130 miles out of a tank theres something wrong. 16 litres =3 1/2 gallons at 120 miles thats 34 mpg. she used to get 170-180 miles easily.

@Davehutch wrote:
Your daughter is putting it in her bike Shocked

that's empty as well Dave but only cos Ive not filled it Rolling Eyes

check its not coming out of the overflow when the bike is running and dumping it on the road thumbs

will have a look at that Stan, to be honest it's the only explaination as to why I cant find any trace.......but why would it do that?

@fr499y wrote:
trade it for a CB500, can't go wrong then ( plus they don't whistle! ) Its not coming out the overflow and evaporating over night is it? You should be looking at a bit over 130 miles to a full tank on them things.

we are looking at newer bikes Matt she has got very confident on this and hates going back to the xr125 watch this space lol!

My Mrs used to have one of those and if your only getting 130 miles out of a tank theres something wrong. 16 litres =3 1/2 gallons  at 120 miles thats 34 mpg. she used to get 170-180 miles easily.

don't think we'd even get 130 mpg Chris only 85miles on 12 litres

@dick65 wrote:
Yamaha fazer?

Another excellent bike Dick, can just see her on one of them....can they be restricted for A2 license easily?

it would only come out of the overflow when its running now youve fixed the petrol tap cos they only work when engines running cos of vaccuum tap also check youve not left it on prime position instead of on position .a mate bought my 1200 bandit and said it was running badly ;it turned out he was starting it with no choke then putting it to full choke after a minute or so hence the bad running ;boy was his face red when i told him what he was doing

it would only come out of the overflow when its running now youve fixed the petrol tap cos they only work when engines running cos of vaccuum tap also check youve not left it on prime position instead of on position .a mate bought my 1200 bandit and said it was running badly ;it turned out he was starting it with no choke then putting it to full choke after a minute or so hence the bad running ;boy was his face red when i told him what he was doing

Thanks Stan, deffo not on prime I still think its a problem with the tap but it will have to wait now till I get a chance to have a look.

mike im breaking an er. if you want some bits just holla ill sort you out.

Thanks Chad, will keep you in mind and let you know mate! thumbsthumbsthumbsthumbs

carbs and that have gone but im sure taps there. tank is there but is well dented. but if you want to try another tap just say and ill just sent it to you free as itll only get chucked in with the tank to someone.

also no fuel cap as it was stolen recovered.

poxy thing put a nest of spiders in the workshop too was million of them lol.

95 bhp she is only allowed 47 Sad

forgot about that mike but I reckon most 600's can be restricted easy enough thumbs

detuned Thundercat engine as well Twisted Evil

I'd have a look at a big single, most are around 45bhp stock and are great fun!

Gonna try and sort the 500 for now especially as she uses it in bad weather and if she drops it ....no matter! then look for something a bit newer in the springtime but thanks for your suggestions everyone. thumbsthumbs

Gonna try and sort the 500 for now especially as she uses it in bad weather and if she drops it ....no matter! then look for something a bit newer in the springtime but thanks for your suggestions everyone. thumbsthumbs

good idea mike but keep us updated m8 thumbsthumbs