Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lea75

More bad news

The extent of the devastation is still unclear but there are fears thousands of people may have died.

Haiti's worst quake in two centuries hit south of the capital Port-au-Prince on Tuesday, wrecking the presidential palace, UN HQ and other buildings.

A "large number" of UN personnel were reported missing by the organisation. Many people have spent the night outside amid fears of more aftershocks.

Describing the earthquake as a "catastrophe", Haiti's envoy to the US said the cost of the damage could run into billions.

A number of nations, including the US, UK and Venezuela, are gearing up to send aid.

The quake, which struck about 15km (10 miles) south-west of Port-au-Prince, was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5.9 and 5.5 magnitude.

The tremor hit at 1653 (2153 GMT) on Tuesday, the US Geological Survey said. Phone lines to the country failed shortly afterwards.

There is still no official word on casualties and the extent of the devastation will only become clearer after dawn breaks in the next hour or so.

Guest Guest
Oh my! I can imagine how are the people struggling to survive there!
I really feel sorry for all homeless people there now!

What was the scale of the earthquake?

the earthquake was 7.0 and the aftershocks were 5.9. and 5.5

I hope the thousands of people affected by this are able to get the help that they need to re build their lives Sad and obviously my thoughts are with those who have lost someone close to them xx

Guest Guest
Those are really bad news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest

I`m off t school Lea,I`ll come back to this thread to insight this...
I really feel sorry for them Sad

I saw it in the news Sad
Last night, we also experienced earthquake here in the Philippines but its intensity 4 only, whew!

Its always sad when catastrophic things happen, but I think it is particularly bad when it happens to a poor country to start with. These people had virtually nothing to start with, and now this ...so sorry for all of them Ashamed

Thanks for the info Lea, of course my thoughts and prayers are with those affected and the country as a whole.

Blessings to all.

Guest Guest

i saw it on tv yesterday... :/ its terrible... the news hit twitter and the first pics are here: :/ are terrible though

We had a small earthquake her in the uk...It was very tiny tho.. Barely done any damage.

I cant even imagine how scared thease people would be right now.I feel so sorry for them...My heart geos out to everyone that experienced this earthquake =(.

Awww how terrible!! I could never imagine going through something like that. My heart is really with all the people in Haiti right now. How devastating!