Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xPink.Pixel.Princessx

I need your help...

I have a hamster...And he is quite old..

One morning i come down to see him drinking his water...Both eyes closed....I didnt take much notice because normally when he wakes up...He dont open his eyes because of the light.....

Alittle later in the evening i always get him out to hold him and even tho he has never bitten me or anyone...I always get him out so he knows he dont have to be scared of us and things.

Anyways...I realised his eyes where shut again....And he had sticky eyes....So...

I bathed them in warm water...Iv been doing this every day for 4 days now....One eye has cleared up...I think...I hope... But the other one just seems to be getting worse.

He is used to having his eyes bathed now..I sit him on my lap...give him some lettuce and he just sits there and eats while i bathe him hehe..Its so cute...

Im still bathing it and i will be doing this twice a day starting from today...But...is there advice you could give me.

I have checked if there is any drafts but i cant feel anything and plus he sleeps in his house..Which is made from heavy duty plastic and i have sealed all the entries to it except for one that is on the oposite side to our door...

Im going into the vets tomrrow to ask them what i can do for him but to be honist...money is really tight and i really dont have the money to pay for vets bills =(.

I really dont know what to do....I know it could be because hes getting old but...I love him to bits and dont want to loose him =(.

Please...someone help me =(

maybe you can ask you vet if theres eye drops you can use for him...

my dog has the same problem but its only in one eye, think its an infection or something like that

hope everything goes well...

So sorry about your hamster hun, he sounds precious. I really wish I could help. Is that the only suggestion you can find online is there might be a draft.... do you want me to see what I can find online for you?

oh no honey! i'm so sorry to hear that your cute little hamster is not well.

it really sounds like your hamster has some sort of eye infection. if you are going to continue with cleaning it's eyes, be careful not to use the same area of the towel for both eyes since as one eye is getting better, the dirty towel can reinfect the improving eye.

it also sounds like the eye that is not improving will need some sort of antibiotic drops which might cost you a few dollars Sad

it's a good thing to go to the vets to see what they think. maybe they will say it will clear up on it's own since one eye has already improved... however, i really doubt they'll let you get away without offerreing some sort of prescription for something.

good luck hun and let us know what the vet says.

@myladyyawo I havent looked online yet because they say all sorts of things...I asked my family when i first noticed it and they told me it may be caused by a draft...that he may have a cold in his eye.

@smorkle I use cotton buds and once i clean one eye...Every wipe i do..I use a clean cotton bud...
They i bad it with a clean towel that i have expecially for him but never use the same bit of towel twice.

I think i may have to spend quite alot of cash to get some eye drops...But...Id do it just for him...Id go hungry for him hehe...Hes my baby =).

so sorry to hear that Sad
Maybe he's just old,
I hope your hamster gets better soon Smile

Aww thanks Monina =)...I hope he gets better soon aswell.. I just hate to see him unwell...I know very soon hes going to be an angel hamster =( but i dont want to think of it that way =/...Im gonna die when he becomes an angel =(

xPink.Pixel.Princessx wrote:
@myladyyawo I havent looked online yet because they say all sorts of things...I asked my family when i first noticed it and they told me it may be caused by a draft...that he may have a cold in his eye.

@smorkle I use cotton buds and once i clean one eye...Every wipe i do..I use a clean cotton bud...
They i bad it with a clean towel that i have expecially for him but never use the same bit of towel twice.

I think i may have to spend quite alot of cash to get some eye drops...But...Id do it just for him...Id go hungry for him hehe...Hes my baby =).

ahhhh...i know how you feel. i feel the same way about my cat. i'd do anything for her too. good luck with the vets hun. i hope your little furry friend gets better real soon!!!