Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-Serenity-

Happy Moon Festival!! :D :D

congratulations Happy moon festival / 中秋節快樂 for everyone that celebrate it!! congratulations

I'm celebrating it right now, eating mooncake and I supposed to watch a large, beautiful full moon right now but the RAIN! ruin it!!
Another bad thing is, Suddenly I have toothache and can't eat to much mooncake Sad

My Mooncake

Milky's moon festival room congratulations

your cake looks amazing hun

We dont celebrate moon festival in the UK, so it is great to see how you celebrate Smile

Happy Moon Festival to those celebrating congratulations
Like Lisa said, we don't celebrate it here in the UK but can I ask what it's about? You're cake looks yummy by the way congratulations

Gaiamaiden wrote:
wow!!! it looks delicious! whats it made out of hun? is it just cake? xx

It's a cake, with many variation of filling, The most common are Lotus seed paste and Sweet bean paste with some sunflower seed or an egg yolk inside,
but now there are many variant now, like green tea, tiramisu, chocolate, etc and even Ice cream!! (I wish I can Try the Ice cream one )

@Charlotte
There are two tales about this festival
1.Mid-Autumn Festival

The festival is intricately linked to the legends of Chang E, the mythical Moon Goddess of Immortality. According to “Li-Ji”, an ancient Chinese book recording customs and ceremonies, the Chinese Emperor should offer sacrifices to the sun in spring and the moon in autumn. The 15th day of the 8th lunar month is the day called “Mid-Autumn”. The night on the 15th of the 8th lunar month is also called “Night of the Moon”. Under the Song Dynasty (420), the day was officially declared for Mid-Autumn Festival.

Because of its central role in the Mid-Autumn festival, mooncakes remained popular even in recent years. For many, mooncakes form a central part of the Mid-Autumn festival experience such that it is now commonly known as 'Mooncake Festival'.

2.Ming revolution

There is a folk tale about the overthrow of Mongol rule facilitated by messages smuggled in moon cakes.

Mooncakes were used as a medium by the Ming revolutionaries in their espionage effort to secretly distribute letters in order to overthrow the Mongolian rulers of China in the Yuan dynasty. The idea is said to be conceived by Zhu Yuanzhang (朱元璋) and his advisor Liu Bowen (劉伯溫), who circulated a rumor that a deadly plague was spreading and the only way to prevent it was to eat special mooncakes. This prompted the quick distribution of mooncakes, which were used to hide a secret message coordinating the Han Chinese revolt on the 15th day of the eighth lunar month.

Another method of hiding the message was printed in the surface of mooncakes as a simple puzzle or mosaic. In order to read the encrypted message, each of the four mooncakes packaged together must be cut into four parts each. The 16 pieces of mooncake, must then be pieced together in such a fashion that the secret messages can be read. The pieces of mooncake are then eaten to destroy the message.

I'm bad at explaining so I just copy from wikipedia, my fav tale is the revolution one Laughing

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yuuuuuuuuumyyyyyyyyyyyy and amazing

Thanks for sharing the stories Serenity. congratulations They were very interesting. I've never had a mooncake but I really want one.

happy moon festival serenity and to all those who celebrate as well.
i don't celebrate it but i love mooncake!!! yummy!!