Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lea75

IMPORTANT - INTERNET SECURITY

I always thought I was internet safe, I was running AVG anti-virus as well as Malawarebytes anti-malaware...well guess what? I wasnt!

Yesterday I found out someone had accessed my internet banking and taken every penny I had! They had transfered all my money to themselves. The bank are onto it, they have locked my internet banking and they will refund my money within 24 hours. Its just the thought that this has happened, that someone was able to get past my internet security and gain access to my bank details. You cannot imagine the panic I was in

I spoke to my Uncle who works in internet security and he recommended using Windowns security essential for anti-virus and Malawarebytes for anti-malaware/anti-spyware. After downloading and running windows security essentials I found a trojan on my pc that AVG had missed Sad

Please, please, please be careful with your internet security. Make sure you have an up to date anti-virus and anti-malaware...make sure it is updated regularaly and you scan daily!
Read up on anti-virus programmes. Just because your's was the best anti-virus when you put it on your pc, it doesnt mean it is still the best protection now.

Never click on links from emails...unless you personally know the person who sent it to you. Be very careful what you download, especially if it is an exe file as this are executable file, and are designed to run something on your pc.

Be wary of what sites you visit..you can get a virus from some.

All in all, please be careful, if in doubt...log out!

OMG I cannot believe that happened to you hon! That is crazy. I'm glad you're lucky enough that you're bank has you covered and you are getting your stuff all fixed up again, but this is crazy and definitely a word of warning to us all! OMG! I just can't believe that.....I'm sorry you had to go through all t his.

Man that's scary! This makes me even more afraid to but stuff online now...just putting my card detail into the website freaks me out...XD

we haven't even started with online banking. Sven doesn't even like having his credit card numbers online. The only transactions I do is through paypal and that's it.

even paypal can be hacked though hun...they can use it to transfer money anywhere they want to Sad

I just dont want anyone else to ever have to go through what I've been through....which is why I've posted this Sad

true, but that's the only interactions of that kind that I do online, except for a few amazon purchases. I keep anti spyware and anti virus stuff updated, anyway.

Man!! That is so crazy, Can I download that anti virus and anti malware that you provide, I'm afraid thing thing will happen to my family to SadSad

Tiddly Winks wrote:
I keep anti spyware and anti virus stuff updated, anyway.

so did I hun, and they were run very regularaly as well...yet this still got past Sad

-Serenity- wrote:
Man!! That is so crazy, Can I download that anti virus and anti malware that you provide, I'm afraid thing thing will happen to my family to SadSad

the links are in the first post...just click on either window essentials or malawarebytes in bold and it will open the link for you x

lea75 wrote:
Tiddly Winks wrote:
I keep anti spyware and anti virus stuff updated, anyway.

so did I hun, and they were run very regularaly as well...yet this still got past Sad

Yet there is only so much one can do. If the bank has paid you back for the losses, then it could be more than one customer experiencing this sort of thing. The bank is obligated to check their software and maintain a certain amount of safety for its customers. It's smart for the customers to go and make sure that they keep passwords safe etc. That's common sense. But, while I think internet security is absolutely imperative and one can never be too safe, I don't think that you are solely responsible for what happened, but rather the bank's security slipped up. The question is, were other customers affected by this as well? They may not want to tell you for the simple reason that they want to maintain their 'safety is important' premise and save face.

About two years ago, we were in London on holiday and my husband used his credit card twice whilie there. Two months later, we got a call from the bank asking me if Sven was in Abu Dahbi. I thought it was a joke, but it turned out that while we had used the credit card in London the numbers were copied and then there was a very high charge made on it. I told the woman calling that Sven was at work and that he was not in Africa. They then told me that his credit card had been stolen. This after a real life transaction had occured and not something that was done online. We don't use the credit card online at all.

Because we were victims of a crime, the bank issued a new card and had to pay for all of this, but now Sven is even less willing to use his credit card at all.

That's why I stopped using Windows. I have that anti-virus (Microsoft Sec. Essential) in a partition with that SO, but I use Mac OS (and Linux in my laptop). I have no regrets at all.

I hate people that make those things. They should get a job instead of stealing money from someone Mad

I hope all gets solved soon, hun. I'm glad the bank returns it to you

OMG OMG that was so... horrible!
Good thing you have a refund.
Oh, now I'm really afraid that can happen to my family. OH NO!

Thanks for the reminder! Smile