Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Piper

Why David's manager(s) don't do a thing like this to his fan

I wish David's manager(s) could make any kind of fan-packages at some of his shows too !!!

I think it's already time to give some "privileges" to US - his real fans !!!

oh wow..I agree we so need something like that. How much does his cost? I know it can't be free.

I paid $45 to see David.
And saw a lot of total "strangers", that don't know the name of the band guys, that probably knows about David only that he
won the AI and (maybe) the name of his 2 songs that plays at the radio (LO and CBTM), but had friends at the fair organization - so they got the M&G tickets.
While, me and other real-faithful fans stayed outiside "begging" to come in !!
I swear that would not matter to pay even $100 and have a package like this !!

@breann wrote:
Speaking of David Archuleta, I would like to purchase his Christmas album soon.

I also found this:

on this site lol...

http://archuletafanscene.com/2009/10/18/haha-d/

Everyone who commented on the picture on there said how funny he was lol...

That leather jacket is Blazing Molten Hot on David Cook with David Cook looking sexy in it too. Oh by the way you can see David's manly part in this photo. Naughty things coming out of my mind when I see something that sexy in David Cook....

I know a girl who did the VIP package for Archie's last tour and said it was a total waste of money. Archie came in, they watched him soundcheck a song, he sat at a table, answered 3 random questions from the crowd, then he signed a picture for them, then they stood in a group of 10(so 9 other strangers in your picture) with Archie in the middle for a pic. Whole thing took 20 minutes. The party consisted of a soda and some stale cookies. And they had one merch table that was understocked, so they still had to go out to the main tables for merch and wait in line.

All for the price of $125. So yeah, it all depends on what kind of experience you want. But they always make it sound nicer than it is.

@CCforDC wrote:
I know a girl who did the VIP package for Archie's last tour and said it was a total waste of money. Archie came in, they watched him soundcheck a song, he sat at a table, answered 3 random questions from the crowd, then he signed a picture for them, then they stood in a group of 10(so 9 other strangers in your picture) with Archie in the middle for a pic. Whole thing took 20 minutes. The party consisted of a soda and some stale cookies. And they had one merch table that was understocked, so they still had to go out to the main tables for merch and wait in line.

All for the price of $125. So yeah, it all depends on what kind of experience you want. But they always make it sound nicer than it is.

I agree that this kind of packages could be a waste ....
Don't need to be the exactly same kind of package they announced to Archie.
But I'm sure they need do something special to the official fans.
I don't know the details, but someone comented with me, that Daughtry's Official Fan Club has some special packages (not like this) to the fans that includes VIP seats, M&G passes, and discounts to buy the albuns, and other interesting offers!!!
So, what I'm really thinking of is something similar to this.

Guest Guest
ROFLOL David!!! He's just too funny.

I would love to have one of those special packages made up for David too.

On the other hand, it's great that new people get to know him and his music and experience the wonderful musician and person he is. This is how he will be able to have a long lasting career. Adding new fans all the time.

Well I remember David saying once that he does not agree with charging people to be "fans" so I dont think we will see an "Offical Fanclub" thing from him. It might be more of a David thing than a management thing because 19M is known for putting this type of "paid fanclubs" together.

David is pretty old school when it comes to touring, very no frills with the fans and the all that. He just likes it au natural so to speak. So it might be a while before he allows things like that. He did talk once about doing some "points system" with DCO where fans could earn perks, but that is much different than paying for them.

Maybe I'm looking only at my point of view - of a foreigner fan who has a few chances do meet him.
So, for me, this kind of "package" seems on of the easiest ways to get what I want:
meet him, talk with him, take a pic with him...

But based on what you said before, seems he don't like this kind of "official fan club".... so....

SaddestVery Sad - I hope some day I could be lucky enough to meet him by other ways... Fingers Crossed!!!

I agree with David. People should not have to pay to be fans. I can't afford to join and I know I am not alone.

The reality is that people who know the right people would still get M&G passes and the true fans would still get the same amount of passes as now. The only difference is fiscally challenged fans like me would have no chance at all to get them.

I see your point Piper. Hey look at me, 34 shows and no David for any of them. I am lucky I got to meet him briefly before things got nuts, right when he won Idol. And then the CD signing thing which was quick and no time to talk or pictures, but did get the CD signed. But I would love to have a good picture of us and sometime to maybe speak to him for more than 2 seconds in passing.

I think the experiences he has had with fans for free have been more rewarding and indepth than any of the paid things like Archie does. It's not very often you find an artist that will willing go and hang out with fans on his personal time for free like David does. It makes him very special.

And as Annette said, I do agree with David that is not fair to put a price tag on being a "fan". Some just can't afford it, plus it wont change the amount of M&G given out to people in the know. Not putting a price tag on things or charging for added bonus things makes each fan equal.

I would love it if David do something like this. I know Daughtry does it and his fans love it, they get to hang with the band, the get individual pictures with him. I always read in his forum how great these VIP packages, and they are always sold out. I think that this give people who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to meet him to do so. The way things are now that only those with connection or people that were lucky to win a contest are able to meet him is not really fair especially for people who are flying helf way around the world to see him and don't get the chance to meet him. Adding a VIP packages is just adding anther way to meet David and the band. It dosn't mean there won't be any more radio contest for M&G, it shouldn't change the chances for a free meeting. Some will be able to afford it some won't, just like some have the right connection to get M&G passes now and some don't, just like anything else in life. If it gives more fans the opportunity to meet him, I'm all for it.

@molly4DC wrote:
I would love it if David do something like this. I know Daughtry does it and his fans love it, they get to hang with the band, the get individual pictures with him. I always read in his forum how great these VIP packages, and they are always sold out. I think that this give people who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to meet him to do so. The way things are now that only those with connection or people that were lucky to win a contest are able to meet him is not really fair especially for people who are flying helf way around the world to see him and don't get the chance to meet him. Adding a VIP packages is just adding anther way to meet David and the band. It dosn't mean there won't be any more radio contest for M&G, it shouldn't change the chances for a free meeting. Some will be able to afford it some won't, just like some have the right connection to get M&G passes now and some don't, just like anything else in life. If it gives more fans the opportunity to meet him, I'm all for it.

You cannot express it better Anat!! ClappingClappingClappingClapping
You - like me - know what we have to do to see him - fly half world....and other things !!!
And you are able to meet him at the Hard Rock Meeting !!!
I think he can really do both - free M&G where the people can won at a contest, or by some friendship, or with some kind of charity donation...
And some kind of VIP Show packages where you pay more to have the chance - besides see the show at good seats, front rows - meet him after show and talk to him and take pics...
It will be awesome not only for us foreigners but for a lot of US fans too - who hadn't yet have a chance to meet him !!!

Thank you Chris. I have been so lucky to have the CD signing Hard Rock. I was thinking about you and other like you that weren't so lucky, not only foreigners but US fans too.

I think that would be a great idea. One of my favorite bands MuteMath did a VIP package. It was $49 and included a listening party to hear the new album before the release, a digital copy of the album, shirt, & poster. It also included a first in line pass to get in the show and a VIP reception before the concert. We also got a hard copy of the CD and a vinyl copy because the bands record label messed up with getting the VIP's their digital copy of the album on the release date. Plus, in every city they're trying to get the VIPs together before date to hang out and get to know each other and to work together to help promote the band. The price that I paid for the VIP package isn't bad at all.

I don't see fanclubs as putting a price on being a fan... I love Kelly Clarkson but I've never been in her fanclub, and I'm ok with that.
She did recently start doing a VIP thing where she sings a couple of exclusive (truly, there hasn't been one recording of one song yet) songs for about 30 people, they get food/drinks and a couple of gifts, and they're in the first 3 rows. Of course it's ridiculously expensive, but it's well worth it if you're rich haha.
It wouldn't be as much for David though I'm sure.

This is definitely going to ruffle some feathers here...but I'm going to say it anyway....

Flying halfway across the globe just to see someone in concert doesn't give someone special privileges to meet the entertainer in question. No one forced you to go, no one promised you anything except a concert. By saying "it's not fair" isn't exactly a rational justification. Yeah, I've met him a handful of times, but it wasn't tossed in my lap nor did he walk up to me and say "Hey, aren't you the crazy fan that flew from Texas for this?! It's so great to meet you!" Meeting him involves a combination of luck, being in the right place at the right time, and being strategic and resourceful. I've never been handed a M&G pass, never won a contest, never been backstage. I know that most fans don't have multiple opportunities to attend shows or catch him off-stage, but nothing is guaranteed in a fandom. My sister paid a shitload of money to be in John Mayer's fan club, and managed to get 5th row tickets to one of his shows, but did she expect to meet him? Uh, no. And she wasn't screaming "IT'S NOT FAIR!" when we walked the entire circumference of the Ford Center in Oklahoma City in 25 degree weather in SPIKE HEEL BOOTS looking for his bus and/or him to no avail.

A fan club would be fabulous, but I don't see it happening. And even if there was such a club with M&G or backstage opportunities, it would still be a matter of luck securing such a pass. Or an outrageous amount of money. And if you have that kind of money, book him for a private party.

Sorry for ruffling feathers and stirring the pot.

:rant:

I think it would be cool if he did something like Daughtry is doing. Not only are the VIP tickets up for purchase but he is also giving two away for every one of his shows via twitter which I think is cool.

I also don't think there should be a price on being a fan, and I dont think thats what David wants either, but a VIP package is just something that is cool. Maybe he could do a give away as some sort of contest, that way a deserving fan will win.

I have always hated when people have won tickets to go meet a famous person but they didn't really care who they were meeting just that they were meeting someone famous. I think deserving people should win. And when I say deserving I just mean people that actually care about that particular person.

Anyways i think that would be pretty cool to give real fans the opportunity to meet him, even if it would have to cost money. I'm not someone who could afford it, but I know I'd try my damnedest to get them.

I have to agree with Jamie in a way. And like her, don't wish to ruffle feathers. But the whole, "I flew across the globe" thing really doesn't make one fan more deserving than the other, even if the other fan just got in their car and drove 10 minutes to the venue. We all have freedom of choice in where we go or what we do, and if that choice is to fly to see David perform, then cool. But that doesn't give anyone priority over any other fans nor does it make it less fair for a local to get the chance to meet him over someone from another country.

Case in point, I can name you a ton of international fans who have gotten more time with David than me. And I am not sweating it or bothered or saying, "it's not fair I live here." I am just happy for them. I never won a contest, never got lucky where he came out to greet at the barricades and never got a M&G. It is what it is as far as I am concerned. I have however been knocked over by a group of international fans to get to a guitar pic that was being handed to me. When I said something I got, "I am from....I deserve it more than you. I flew here." Kind of pissed me off, especially since these fans had met David, the band and gotten a ton of autographs and pictures on their trip to several shows by that point.

In the end, we are all just fans, no matter where we come from, and we all want that time with David. And if he does a VIP things than there will still be people left out either because of quality or cost and people will still be upset. I really dont see anything wrong with doing something Archie does, but I can see David's reluctance to do so, it just keeps it an equal playing field for everyone.

All I'm going to say is that I think it's a gray area when you start talking about things like "true fans" and people who are "deserving". I just think those terms are subjective and I don't think it's a good way to justify anything. Which I guess also goes back to Jamie's point that things being unfair isn't really an excuse. And like Chele said, even if there was some kind of VIP or fan club thing, it's not going to accommodate everyone.

First of when I said "it's not fair" I meant for all of us as fans doesn't matter if you are international or local, as opposed to the way things are now where poeple who don't know or care about David and the band gets first priority and not us. I didn't say international fans are more deserving, all I said is that it gives ALL fans another option to meet him.

Second, Are all fans really equal now? Is it really an equal playing field for everyone now? I have to say no its not. There were a few version of the album each with different bonus, some fans could afford to buy all of them some didn't. There was a signed album, some fans could afford to buy this one too same couldn't. In some of the shows there are different level prices of tickets some can afford to buy the more expensive ones some can't. Some fans can afford to go to multiple shows some can barely afford one if any. Some can afford to fly all over the country or even from a different country to attend shows some can't. So why sould it be any different with VIP packages? Some fans will be able to afford it some won't. If I or anyone else can afford it I don't see any reason whatsoever why we souldn't.

Guest Guest

Okay let's all step back and take a deep breath. No need to get upset with each other, please.

I have a feeling Chele is right, that David isn't doing these because he prefers that his fans not have to pay extra to meet him. He goes out of his way to meet as many fans as he possibly can. He goes out of his way to try not to be exclusionary. He did once mention a "points for perks" thing on DCO, which never came to anything... at least not yet... but I don't see him as wanting to make his fans pay extra for meeting him. It doesn't seem to be his style. Not saying he'll never do anything like this. It may someday get to the point where he can't come out to meet his fans, and where packaged meet and greets are the only way to meet him.

I also think that it wouldn't greatly up anyone's chances to meet him. I suspect there are plenty of fans who could afford to do this, and there would be a limited number of people who could attend. So once again you'd be back to luck... who can get through fastest to buy their pass before they were all sold out. And you'd be completely cutting out those who can't afford to buy the VIP package... their chances would be gone before it even started. And if this VIP package included close seats, it would be cutting out those who couldn't afford it their chance to even get a close seat for the show.

Right now, David really does seem to be trying to be as accessible as possible. To meet as many fans as possible. And I agree that the free M&G he does now lets a lot of people who don't know who he is but who know someone, or who win a radio contest a chance to meet him while others who have followed him since Idol and would love that chance don't get it. (And I say this as one who was lucky enough to know someone who knew someone who knew someone, and got a meet and greet pass at one of my shows.) But maybe some of those people who weren't huge fans, but got to meet him and see how nice he is, on top of getting a great show, became good fans afterwards because of it.

Like I said, it may get to the point someday where this is the only way to meet David. And that will be a sad day in my book, because I suspect that at that point it will be the only way to meet him, and a lot fewer of his fans will get the chance. At least right now, everyone's on a fairly equal footing... you take your chances, head for the buses, and hope that he can come out that night.

Just my two cents... take it for what it's worth. Wink

After Jeannie two cents I'll give mine:

1) IMO we are all HIS FANS, with the same importance and the same rights, no matter live in Israel, Brazil, Australia, Phillipines, US or wherever.
Nobody is better than other or deserves more than other. Only some of us are have more lucky because live at US and have more opportunities to attend to
his shows and events.

2) We, who live outside the US, and have money, time and possibility to fly "half world" to see him do it ONLY FOR LOVE - the deep love we have for him is what makes us do this !
We are not more deserving than any other fans and wait any kind of special reward for doing this !

3) The only difference between us - the foreigners fans - and the ones who live at US is about the opportunities to see him :
If a fan is able to attend to a lot of shows/events - her/his chance to meet him is not guarateed, but proportionally increases with the number of shows/events attended.
At other hand, we who live out of US, sometimes have a few opportunities to attend to a show, sometimes only one chance - like me, Aida and other fans. The same happens with some american fans who live far from the show venues and/or cannot afford to travel and buy tickets to more than one or a couple of shows.

4) As I told before, I'm not "preaching" the idea to convert the M&G in paid events - this kind of thought is far from my mind !
It's more about have AN OPTION that could help the ones who are willing to meet him and can afford to pay a little bit more to have a guaranteed chance to do this.
I paid $45 to my show ticket (out other expenses I made to see his show), and that was my only chance to meet him, so I'd be ready to pay for a more expensive ticket if it was included on the prices a meeting him after/before the show.

5) The M&G the way

Guest Guest

I agree with you, Jeannie. We have to step back and look at the big picture here. All in all, we are a very spoiled fanbase. That is, like it has been pointed out, it's not a common thing for an artist to be as available to his fans as David is. He has made it a point to meet as many fans as humanly possible. If someone, international or not, has the chance to meet him, it will all depend on luck, connections, money, distances and whatnot which is what happens in many things in life as far as opportunities go.

I think we got a little carried away and kinda blew this out of proportion. This is not about who is the best fan, a more deserving one, fairness or international vs. US fans AT ALL. Personally, I don't see it as "buying" fans. I think the idea of the VIP packages is just another thing the artist might choose to do as a perk and appreciation to his fans.

If David decides to do this along the way, then GREAT! There will be some who can afford those and some that will not, much the same, again, as in many other things in life. I do think that as long as David is able, and even if he puts out some kind of VIP packages, he will continue insisting on being available at bus stops, barricades or wherever possible for anyone who wants to meet him. He's just like that Awww Love

Made wrote:
I agree with you, Jeannie. We have to step back and look at the big picture here. All in all, we are a very spoiled fanbase. That is, like it has been pointed out, it's not a common thing for an artist to be as available to his fans as David is. He has made it a point to meet as many fans as humanly possible. If someone, international or not, has the chance to meet him, it will all depend on luck, connections, money, distances and whatnot which is what happens in many things in life as far as opportunities go.

I think we got a little carried away and kinda blew this out of proportion. This is not about who is the best fan, a more deserving one, fairness or international vs. US fans AT ALL. Personally, I don't see it as "buying" fans. I think the idea of the VIP packages is just another thing the artist might choose to do as a perk and appreciation to his fans.

If David decides to do this along the way, then GREAT! There will be some who can afford those and some that will not, much the same, again, as in many other things in life. I do think that as long as David is able, and even if he puts out some kind of VIP packages, he will continue insisting on being available at bus stops, barricades or wherever possible for anyone who wants to meet him. He's just like that Awww Love

Clapping Couldn't agree more.

Putting in my 2 cents here on what I speculate may be David's perspective on this from the business end.

David's always been quite conscious of the economy and has demonstrated in several cases (regarding his Axium CDs, for instance, or AH) that he sympathizes with those fans who may not be able to afford things all that easily. I'm sure his time barely making ends meet had a lot to do with that. While his label or management company would probably love any opportunity to make more money off of him through a VIP package, I don't see David going that route, or at least not right away.

The topic of whether this post-concert M&Gs will continue has come up at different times in different places over the last year; I think a lot of us realize that, as David becomes a bigger artist, they will likely taper off; perhaps for security reasons, or practicality, or some other reason I can't think of.

But there's one other option that we aren't discussing, which has actually been tried out twice, and that's the planned M&G at an alternate venue in a large metropolitan area, around the date of a scheduled concert. JC Penney in NYC was one; the Hard Rock in LA (?) was another. Both of these M&G's circumvented the security issues and were open to the public -- i.e. to anyone who wanted to show up and wait. And of course, if you didn't get there early enough, there was the risk that you might not meet him, but isn't that the case at the buses, too, for the most part?

I have a feeling that this is the direction he may choose to go in. If the private VIP packages do start happening, I don't think they will be the only option, because of their exclusivity. David's still building his fanbase; he's still on his way up. Becoming exclusive in any way kind of works against that goal.

IMO, of course. Smile

Made wrote:

I couldn't end my previous post - the computer are blocking me to edit it now - so I'll end it here ...

Me too MADE hope that "he continue on being available at bus stops, barricades or wherever possible for anyone who wants to meet him. " Hug

IMO, the VIP packages would be only a "plus", a new option for us to meet him.

No matter if there will be or not some VIP packages, or if I could get - by any way - a M&G pass .... I'll not give up of my dream to meet him - not a "meeting" like I had, but a "real meeting".
I got to see him very briefly after the show, at the barricades when he signed my DCTR cover. But I'm still dreaming with a kind of meeting, where I could have time to talk with him, get a hug and a pic with him. Awww Love

So if I have the opportunity to go to US and attend to another show next year, I'll do the same I did at the show I went: stay at the barricades waiting for a chance to meet him. At Sacramento I even gave up to watch the Crash Kings show to stay on the barricades hoping he could leave the bus before the show and come talk to us.

Guest Guest

Thanks Anat Smile And Cimorene and Piper, ITA that this would be just ANOTHER chance of meeting David amongst all others he's doing right now (bus stops, barricades, M&Gs, signings, etc.) Very Happy

And I want to add something to a previous thing I said:

Quote :
Personally, I don't see it as "buying" fans. I think the idea of the VIP packages is just another thing the artist might choose to do as a perk and appreciation to his fans (David in this case) and the management to make more money off of him. (I'm not that naive LOL Face )

I sort of skimmed through the thread, but I'm going to add my two cents just for a minute.

Personally, I don't really think a fan club is necessary. Having been in a few for other artists I have found that they can really go down hill if not run properly. I have seen a lot of people leave (including myself) because there is simply nothing to really keep them there. For example, one fan club I was in you got a fan package which included stickers, keyrings, a live album that you could easily hear tracks from online, a t shirt and access to forums, videos and pictures. It started off good, but it started going downhill, new videos would come up once in a blue moon, the fan package looked like it was aimed at 13 year olds and more meet and great passes were given away by radio stations than by the fan club.

I am an international fan, and therefore have not yet had the opportunity to see a show, let alone meet him. But, I understand that David is a new artist in the industry and that I will have to just be patient (either that or win the lottery!). Like some of you have already said, I do worry that the bigger he gets the less chance people will have to talk to him after the show, in which case M&Gs would be nice, but I don't see why we need a fan club to do those. I don't feel like giving some fans the opportunity to win M&G passes before others will help more fans meet him, it's still going to be a mix of luck and money.

Ok-here's my take-and some of you probably won't like it..

The day I have to pay to be a fan is the day I am no longer a fan. If you think about it, we purchase his CD or itunes or whatever, pay to go to concerts, which in some cases are not cheap, buy his merch, etc. Not to mention the travel (gas, hotel, airfare-whichever route you choose to go) David does not owe us ANYTHING. We are supposed to go to see a concert, NOT to hang out with the band. David is a musician, we are not his friends. Personally I wish he would quit doing the bus signings all together, all that seems to do is cause chaos and angst. Look at the thread here about David not going out in the North East and all the "It's not fair" when he does go out after a concert in one location but not in another.
Yes, I have tried to meet David after shows and did feel disappointed when he didn't come out. My last 2 shows, I didn't even think about going near the busses, and you know what-I left those concerts feeling like I had a better experience.
I don't know why people think they are entitled to meet David. And I don't know why they think paying for a crappy fan club VIP meet and greet such as the one Chele mentioned would be worth it, when really you aren't meeting him in the true sense. That $ is just going into someone's pocket and the fan is paying way more than what that experience should be worth.
All and all I am perfectly content going to concerts, not even having close seats (IMO you can enjoy the show more from 20 or so rows back-you can see the entire stage and the sound quality is much better).
Would I like to meet David?? Of course. But I am not willing to pay for that opportunity, nor am I willing to waste my time and stand in the elements for that 30% chance that he might come out and sign a piece of paper.
Off rant...

Guest Guest

ROFLMHO!! Oh Lord, it's so good to read some of this....I've missed you all. Great

Guest Guest

Vikki!!!!!!!! *runs to hug* RunYahoo!Hug

We've missed YOU!!! Awww Love

Guest Guest
I've missed you all too. I've got a TON of catching up to do!!! Plus laundry and making lunches and......ROFLMHO!!!! So good to see everyone.
Please, continue the discussion..no going off-topic now!! LOL!!!

@SV4DC wrote:
Ok-here's my take-and some of you probably won't like it..

The day I have to pay to be a fan is the day I am no longer a fan. If you think about it, we purchase his CD or itunes or whatever, pay to go to concerts, which in some cases are not cheap, buy his merch, etc. Not to mention the travel (gas, hotel, airfare-whichever route you choose to go) David does not owe us ANYTHING. We are supposed to go to see a concert, NOT to hang out with the band. David is a musician, we are not his friends. Personally I wish he would quit doing the bus signings all together, all that seems to do is cause chaos and angst. Look at the thread here about David not going out in the North East and all the "It's not fair" when he does go out after a concert in one location but not in another.
Yes, I have tried to meet David after shows and did feel disappointed when he didn't come out. My last 2 shows, I didn't even think about going near the busses, and you know what-I left those concerts feeling like I had a better experience.
I don't know why people think they are entitled to meet David. And I don't know why they think paying for a crappy fan club VIP meet and greet such as the one Chele mentioned would be worth it, when really you aren't meeting him in the true sense. That $ is just going into someone's pocket and the fan is paying way more than what that experience should be worth.
All and all I am perfectly content going to concerts, not even having close seats (IMO you can enjoy the show more from 20 or so rows back-you can see the entire stage and the sound quality is much better).
Would I like to meet David?? Of course. But I am not willing to pay for that opportunity, nor am I willing to waste my time and stand in the elements for that 30% chance that he might come out and sign a piece of paper.
Off rant...

thanks for this - i agree with pretty much everything you said, SV. and like everyone else i have 2 cents too - lol.

i belong to a few other fan clubs which offer VIP packages and sometimes the opportunity to do M&Gs with the band on a randomly-chosen basis are a part of those high price ticket tiers and VIP packages. however, most of the times, only the people who can afford the highest tier price tickets get the chance at a M&G and even then, 99% of the time, the same people win because they have the $$ to keep trying. some of those fan clubs are great for getting special things out of the VIP packages - like sound checks and M&Gs and photos with the band and some are just ways to get better tickets, closer to the stage; unfortunately, some of the clubs just charge tons of money and guarantee nothing just because they know that they can get the money from people.

i, like everyone else, would love to meet david; if i'm going to keep spending money on multiple tickets to TRY and meet him - that's my choice - it's not a right because i spent more time and money, just a fringe benefit if it actually happens.
some of us don't have the opportunity to go to multiple shows because of location or cost - it's cool and totally understandable that that is the case in this economy.

however, i do think that once david gets bigger and more people realize why he and his music are so special, i think the only way anyone is going to be able to get time to just shake his hand and say "hi" is because you're paying $$ to get to go backstage. just a simple case of supply and demand, IMHO.

I dont really think this is worth it. Some people may think it's fantastic but I just am not into it. I mean, yeah its awesome to meet him. When I met him it was totally random and by chance and I personally think that it's one of the best ways to meet him. I feel like the official fan meet and greets are too commercial (I cant really come up with a better word for it). I pretty much agree with everything that's been said here.
I really do believe that every word nerd will get their chance to meet him when it's their time. Very Happy

Although I can understand why some of us want that VIP packages, I have to say that I'm an international fan, and what I want is just to go to a freaking show, which is hard enough to accomplish. That's all. Like Amber said, meeting the guys will only enrich my experience, not complete it. But it's just me, though Wink

I did the Archie VIP thing for his last tour actually. I wouldn't say it was a total waste of money. I've been trying to meet the kid for the last year, and I had a to pay a little but I finally did meet him and got to take an individual pic with him and my friend. And I plan on doing the VIP for the Christmas tour as well. In a way it sucks and is a lot of money, but for me, it's worth it to get a better chance to have a moment with a kind and fulfilling soul like Archie. He wants to do it; he hasn't changed a bit from his days of coming out by the buses daily on the Idol tour.

Would I pay the same amount for a similar package with David? I'm not sure. I'd love to meet him again, but then again, I have twice. I've had my moments with him, and while I wouldn't turn down another moment if it came along, I'd want it to be natural. A VIP package from him would feel forced, in a way. Maybe it's because we know it's really not his thing and so it wouldn't be the same. It's also easier to run into Dave in a natural setting, as exemplified by many of the members here at the WNH. That doesn't happen with Archie, because he just attracts a different kind of crowd.

Of course, I'm saying all this when I haven't been to a show since November 18. I've become a much more relaxed and casual fan, though I know I'd be brought back to a fanatic if I went to another show! But I guess for me, when it comes to David, just put on a great show and that's good enough for me.

I am going to chime in my 2 cents to. I personally do not like the idea of paid fan clubs for some of the reasons already mentioned (ie: some people - me - can't afford it, and I don't think it is necessary. I do like the idea of the formal meet and greets in public places because it affords for more people who have never met him to get that chance. I'm not all that crazy about the meeting at the buses, but that is just me. Because I don't like the pushing, shoving, basic selfishness that I see there. One of my pet peeves is when people meet David there and then don't move out of the way for those behind them, who have been waiting a long time to, so they can have there chance. There is nothing wrong with the buses, etc., I just personally don't care for it.

I have said all along that David is the first artist I've ever seen give so much of himself and his time to his fans. I've been going to concerts for decades and never once did I EXPECT to meet the artist. I would love to have met them, but that was an extra that I didn't expect. I went for the music and I left having had enjoyed the show. The end.

But with David, there really is a different synergy going on here between him and his fans. It is more like a weird relationship with his music and him, than just a event. Also, I think we do have a fan club. A rather large, diverse group who meet here, DCO and whatever other David boards there are. We meet at shows and have developed amazing friendships, etc. This whole experience has been a trip and then some. lol

Also, when it comes to meeting David, I sort of have the attitude that if it is meant to be it will happen. The times I have tried to force it were to no avail. But then something would happen and there he was standing in front of me.

I do seriously hope people get to meet him when they can, because he is such an amazing presence and a pleasure to chat with. And I do understand the International fans thoughts. Because they are right, we here in the US do have more opportunity. But I do not expect it at all.

And last but not least, I think that the reason there is so much expectation on meeting David is because he has been so accessible and also because we talk about it A LOT. Recaps about each other's experiences causes us to say wow, they met him, so can I. We sort of create this need to talk to him and meet him ourselves. Then when some people don't they are disappointed. Understandable. But when people start blaming David, that is where I get pissed off. As someone above mentioned, he owes us nothing, especially when it comes to his personal time. All he owes us is a great show, because we are his customer's and that is what we paid for. After that it is all, what is the word he uses?, ancillary?

huntwork wrote:
ROFLMHO!! Oh Lord, it's so good to read some of this....I've missed you all. Great

OMG !!! Vikki!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE BACK !!
WE ALL MISSED YOU !!! SOOOOO MUCH !!!
WELCOME BACK HUN !!!
The WaveDancin SmileyGroup Hug2Dancin SmileyThe Wave

Guest Guest

As usual I love y'all giving your honest and respectful opinion on the subject. Very Happy I'm going to put in my last 2 cents on all this after reading what y'all had to say.

As I said before, most everybody would like to at least meet David, have him sign something and even get a hug or a short chat with him, me included.

BUT a) this is not something we should give for granted when we go to a show or demand of him. The only thing we should expect to get is a great show. And

b) we can spend all the money we want and try meeting him through all the paid or not paid circumstances. That's something each of us will decide to do or not. But one thing is clear, IMO. What we get is just that, a hug, a smile, a chat. NOT his friendship. He's not our buddy. He's just an amazing artist and person who cares a lot about his fans and works his butt of to give us great music and concerts. Period.

Although I can understand why some of us want that VIP packages, I have to say that I'm an international fan, and what I want is just to go to a freaking show, which is hard enough to accomplish. That's all. Like Amber said, meeting the guys will only enrich my experience, not complete it. But it's just me, though Wink

Dinna,
I think the same :
Meeting David will be always the "icing on the cake" - be able to watch him performing live is the most important thing - not doubt !
AND FOR ME - IT WAS REALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT AMAZING AWESOME THING !!!

But when you have the opportunity to see him for the first time LIVE - not at a video, a computer screen, a picture...
See that he
"Was there all along
Within my reach
And as close as the beat of my heart "

You will totally WooHoo!! and wish to be able to meet him, to talk with him, tell him how amazing he is and so on, and get a hug, and a pic with him...
The emotion will take care of you !!! You will see my dear !!! Hug

Made wrote:
What we get is just that, a hug, a smile, a chat. NOT his friendship. He's not our buddy. He's just an amazing artist and person who cares a lot about his fans and works his butt of to give us great music and concerts. Period.

I totally agree with you Made ! He is not our buddy, but maybe I have an explanation to this "weird friendship feeling" ...

I think our need to meet him, and talk, and hug, and get a pic with him - is not a common thing we think to have from an artist.
I had never had an idol with the meaning that David has to me. I never wished to have from an artist or band I admire the same kind of meeting experience
I wish to have with David.
IMO we all developed this "need" to a closer meeting because the great part of us have been following him since his audition at Omaha - since he was only an amazing promisse of a star, a shy guy with a marvellous voice and a beautiful smile.
And we saw the STAR growing along his Idol performances - till his consagration and victory !
And we saw - some of us live, some with the internet and forums help - his career beggining, all his steps, his interviews, his pics, videos, shows.. and we got envolved even at his private life, at his brother Adam disease and death..
We smiled, laughed, sang and cried with him.
So all of these things made grown on us a feeling that he was really a kind of friend we want to get to know...
Maybe this is the explanation...
scratch

I wanted to give in my cent or so to this topic as well...

Again, I obviously have a bias here, seeing as I have met David multiple times. However, I COMPLETELY agree with your last statement, Piper....You completely nailed it for me.

I've been holding my tongue for some time now, and I think I finally have to just speak out...

David's NOT just an amazing artist to me. That is NOT it in my book. His music speaks. It has emotions, feelings, and depths to which no other musician has ever had in my life. It makes me feel things I've never come close to feeling before. It helps me get through things I never would have gotten through without it. And David as a person has taught me so much in my life. Perseverance, strength, and courage- just to name a few. He's taught me to lighten up, just have fun with life. Let go of the tenseness. And, until David walked into my life, I was scared, and I was tense. I didn't really know how to just let go. I felt unrelatable and alone. And honestly, I don't think I'm speaking for myself in some of those areas. David has helped a lot of people through a lot of things. We've learned so much from him. He has taught us so much and I'm sure he has learned from us in return. He reaches out to us in just about everything he does-- even with his ridiculous banters. That's why I feel some of us have come to feel like we know David on a personal level...Obviously we don't, and we are certainly NOT his friends...But there's still that sense of personal closeness...I prefer to us the word Hero. :]]

Anyways, about the main gist of this topic...I feel bad saying this, again because of my bias, but I'm not really in full support of this official fan thing. I also think the best way to meet David is when it happens by chance, and not on purpose. In my opinion and from past experience, that's by far the best way to meet him. While I definitely agree that meeting David only enriches the experience, I think meeting him in this way might only frustrate some people or even take away from those who might not be able to afford it. At the same time, though, a part of me feels that it should be enforced, because of so many international fans or even fans here with no luck- and I can totally see where you're coming from. I agree that the M&Gs are frustrating considering have the people going in don't even know the names of the guys in the band, but I think this official thing would just contribute to those factors. Although it doesn't seem fair at the moment, I believe it will pay off for every single one of you sooner or later. I honestly believe from the very bottom of my heart that every single WordNerd deserves their moment[s], and should, at some point, receive one.

Made wrote:

BUT a) this is not something we should give for granted when we go to a show or demand of him. The only thing we should expect to get is a great show. And

b) we can spend all the money we want and try meeting him through all the paid or not paid circumstances. That's something each of us will decide to do or not. But one thing is clear, IMO. What we get is just that, a hug, a smile, a chat. NOT his friendship. He's not our buddy. He's just an amazing artist and person who cares a lot about his fans and works his butt of to give us great music and concerts. Period.

THAT is my biggest pet peeve and the sharpest point I've been trying to make here. And the quicker everyone will realize that, the less angst and heartache there will be. He has friends, he has family, he has people's shoulders to cry on and people to vent to. What makes anyone think that just because you walk up to him in an informal setting that he's just going to open his heart to you and chit-chat? He needs fans to buy his music and go to his shows, he doesn't want or need to get know every single one of us on a first name basis. Yeah, he recognizes faces, but hell, after being in the front rows (or at the busses) of 500 gazillion shows, hell yeah he's going to recognize you. Hell, the freakin' crew guy recognized my face after only three shows, but that didn't mean I had to have a meaningful "friendship" conversation with him.

Like Made said, David is not our buddy. He never will be. We're fans, and when he "meets" us, he's going to be in a completely different frame of mind than when he's with his friends. He's going to be in "business" mode. Yeah, he'll make small talk, he'll hug you, show appreciation for the gifts, be touched by the stories. But he's not seeking his long-lost soul mate. He does care about his fans, and I'm pretty sure he'd like to keep up around. And in his appreciation for us, he's not going to make us pay an exorbitant amount of money just to stand in front of him and shake his hand. He interacts with us in informal settings because he wants to and because he can, and I'm willing to bet that he'll continue to do so for as long as he possibly can. But NO ONE should think he owes them jack-diddly-squat except a great show, regardless of who you are, how far you came, how much money you spent, etc.

Let's not be delusional fans, ok? We don't want to make him cringe in agony every time he makes a public appearance....

Kthanx. Great