let it fall, take it all, 'cause I'm so tired of feeling everything
so damn me and my paper heart
in this pouring rain

I'm pretty sure the last line of the chorus is,
"Damn me and my paper heart in this pouring rain."

Guest Guest

Love it!!! Keep it comin' Very Happy

Guest Guest

Here's a clearer version of Paper Heart...

MinnTee (guamquilter) version of Paper Heart:

Wow, awesome sound! First impression: I like it. A lot. Great Hopefully someone can decipher lyrics soon. All I can make out is part of the chorus. But as far as just the music/sound: I love it. Something a bit different than DCTR. GAH, I want this new album!

Guest Guest
in the middle of posting lyrics.... I think I got them all but a couple words

Guest Guest
Paper Heart

I can feel in the evening air all the words I want to say
I can tell as you turn to leave that they wouldn't make you stay
Over head the lights come on and suddenly I see
That glow is gonna guide you home where ever that may be

Chours:

What use is a paper heart
When you're stuck in the rain, stuck in the rain
Cause all the love that I hold inside
Feel it washin away, washin away

Let it fall, shake it off
Cause I'm so tired of feelin everything
So damn me and my paper heart
In this pouring rain

I could watch as you fade away gotta hold onto the light
And these arms that just let you go or these lips that share your air
Couldn't know it would hurt this time to hear you close that door
So punch a hole in my paper heart cause I don't need it anymore

*Guitar riff*

Chours....

*Guitar riff*

Cause all the love that I hold inside feel it, washin away

*Guitar riff*

Chours....

"'Cause I'm so tired of feelin everything" - I can so relate to that sometimes. Love that line.

Guest Guest
This song is SO effin addicting!!! I have listened to it like a million times now, lol.

So apparently they took down all the videos. Glad I got the mp3 first. Anyway, could this be a sign it will be on the record and was taken down due to legal reasons? Just wondering.

Guest Guest

You can find the mp3 in the show thread here. I hope that they took them down 'cause IT IS going to be in the album Excited

I will always love Souvenir. Me and that song have an interesting relationship.

Paper Heart had me from soundcheck yesterday. Awesome song, vibe and everything else.

I'm even more excited for this record if that's even freaking possible.

Guest Guest
It makes a lot of sense, Jenny and I can't agree more. We've all said that, as much as we liked DCTR, it was overproduced in some ways. The tour's live concerts proved how much more the songs could shine when they sounded more raw and instrumental. "Knowing" David is a perfectionist, he must have been pretty nervous about premiering this song and seeing it went so well yesterday, he and the boys were more confident performing it today.

ETA: Oops Jenny, I was replying to your post, lol.

Sorry, here we go again, haha.

As I said before, I thought Paper Heart sounded better tonight, a little tighter. I'm sure the videos will get pulled again so I saved it. This is a song I could hear being played on the radio, and doing really well. It's been stuck in my head since last night. I love the guitar riffs in the beginning! I just hope if this DOES make it on the album, it doesn't get too overproduced, if that makes sense. And while I don't think the lyrics are anything outstanding/different, there are a few good lines in there ("That glow is gonna guide you home, wherever that may be"). Seems to go along with Souvenir, Make Believe, Honest, etc. with the theme of lost love, bitterness, wearing your heart on your sleeve, etc. Dave, you need some lovin' in your life. Wink

To sum up my rambling, I love the sound of Paper Heart and I think it could do really well if it gets the right treatment in the studio. I definitely like it better than I did Make Believe & Souvenir!

Guest Guest

I do like the lyrics. A "paper heart", a soft, tender heart, especially a young heart, is so vulnerable. So, "damn me and my paper heart" is like saying "damn, I believed again, I trusted again, I loved again and here I am with my heart broken again". It's kind of the moment you realize you cannot give your heart/love away so innocently anymore. Growing pains, maybe... At least that's how I interpret the song Smile

Was looking at CookifiedTexan/Jamie's pics on FB and I noted the "REM" next to Paper Heart on the setlist, guess I'm just uneducated, but what does that mean?

Guest Guest

Hmm... REM, the band? scratch Or "remember", lol

Possibly that other song they soundchecked? Who knows.

Made, I agree with your interpretation. And I can relate to the paper heart thing, since I pretty much have one, lol. I love the line you quoted, "damn me and my paper heart". It's the one that gets stuck in my head. I still think having a heart that is open and gets broken is better than having no heart at all. What I like about David is that even though he writes a lot about heartache, he remains soft-hearted.

Guest Guest
Me too, Jenny. And I'm a loooot older than you but I like to keep an open heart, to give people the benefit of the doubt, so to speak. Maybe with some more experience, you can "spot" the bad apples from the beginning, lol. But I like to believe, even at my age, that some sort of innocence and positivity is a good thing to maintain throughout your life.

Guest Guest
Edited my post with new lyrics.....

Tricia wrote:
Here's a clearer version of Paper Heart...

MinnTee (guamquilter) version of Paper Heart:

Holy FUCK Andy looks gorgeous. Wow wow wow.

Ok right, the song. Sounds good enough, not blowing my mind or anything but it's that good rockish sound he's been producing lately. Though with the same type of theme again. His voice sounds really great. Smile

Not flipping out about the lyrics but they're cool enough. I like the bit about punching a hole in his paper heart because he doesn't need it anymore. I like when he throws that cool imagery/metaphors in, the whole "punching a hole in paper" thing, it's clever Wink

Guest Guest

I agree, Sarah about the "punching a hole in paper" metaphor. Quite clever indeed Very Happy

Was looking at CookifiedTexan/Jamie's pics on FB and I noted the "REM" next to Paper Heart on the setlist, guess I'm just uneducated, but what does that mean?

Maybe REM are the initials/abbreviation of the another new song - probably the other one they soundchecked and he put both of them
as an option - to choose within the show. scratch

I saw the registered songlist and it maybe one of these two
REMEMBERING THE DAYS scratch
REMEMBER THIS

Guest Guest

You have a point there, Chris Very Happy

So after listening a few more time to the song I can say that I like, It's good, it's catchy but I'm not blown away by it. lyrically it remind me a lot of souvenir, especially the part "So punch a hole in my paper heart cause I don't need it anymore" in this song and "You can keep my heart It's got no use here" in souvenir. And honestly between these two songs I love souvenir a lot more. I don't know if it'll end up on the album but I'm not going to be too disappointed if it won't.

@molly4DC wrote:
lyrically it remind me a lot of souvenir, especially the part "So punch a hole in my paper heart cause I don't need it anymore" in this song and "You can keep my heart It's got no use here" in souvenir.

I was thinking about that too.. It's like "you can keep my paper heart, the one you took when you walked away, punch a hole in it, we're done, can you make believe that you still give a damn", etc. It's feels like 'been there done that'. I mean it's a cool idea but he's kind of drilling it into the ground a bit...

Hm, drilling.. We are ALL Innocent

ROFLOL I had something to say but I just can't go past the drilling...

I really like the song. I think it's a step up at least from DCTR which is good. I'm sure that it will be like baby steps with each album to show his abilities to the record company. He's going to have to pay his dues to make the music 'we' want him to make.
He seems happy with the songs he's writing now so I'm content with that. Sure maybe he's written better lyrics but these aren't horrible at all. I think they're probably better than anything you'll find on the radio. lol Let's be honest, he's not going to make Analog Heart-ish music and sell millions of records. He's going to have to compromise a bit for some time. And if the music he's making is a compromise, it sounds pretty damn good to me.
I just love seeing how the lyrics have developed so much from the lyrics on DCTR. There's a clear difference there. Smile

So has anyone taken a shot at deciphering the lyrics to Paper Heart? Here's what I've come up with so far:

Quote :

Paper Heart
I can feel in the evening air
All the words I want to say
I can tell as you turn to leave
That I wouldn’t make you stay
Overhead the lights come on
And suddenly I see
That glow is gonna guide you home
Wherever that may be…

**What use is a paper heart
When you’re stuck in the rain, stuck in the rain?
It’s all the love that I hold inside
You’ll be washin away, washin away
Let it fall, take it all
Cause I’m so tired of feeling anything
So damn me and my paper heart
And this pouring rain.

I can watch as you fade away
what I hold on to (something-something…?)
In these arms that just let you go (something-something….?)
(Entire verse here that can't understand…)
Punch a hole in my paper heart
Cause I don’t need it anymore

**Chorus**

It’s all the love that I hold inside you’ll be washing away…

**Chorus**

Anyone else have a guess?

@molly4DC wrote:
So after listening a few more time to the song I can say that I like, It's good, it's catchy but I'm not blown away by it. lyrically it remind me a lot of souvenir, especially the part "So punch a hole in my paper heart cause I don't need it anymore" in this song and "You can keep my heart It's got no use here" in souvenir. And honestly between these two songs I love souvenir a lot more. I don't know if it'll end up on the album but I'm not going to be too disappointed if it won't.

Anat,
I had the same "Souvenir-Related" feeling when I heard the song and specially when the lyrics started to be deciphered !
I'm quite certain it will be at the album - this maybe one of the reasons Sony took the videos from Youtube.
And I'd not be surprised if it'll be the new single.... or more than this... the New Album Title (I remember some here commented that
after a Analog Heart a "Paper Heart" would not be a weird choice ....so....let's see...).

Hug

I do like this a lot but I like You and I better. Love the piano. This song is catchy though and has been replaying in my head like all of David's songs when I first hear them lol

Guest Guest

I keep thinking:
"Damn you and your Paper Heart (David)
Stuck in my head, stuck in my head"

ROFLOL

Guest Guest

That's great it was not just me, lol Smile

Guest Guest
Made wrote:
I keep thinking:
"Damn you and your Paper Heart (David)
Stuck in my head, stuck in my head"

ROFLOL

LOL I actually wrote that in a sentiment to Dave last night.

Guest Guest

lol Barb, didn't see it! And hope it'll get stuck in lots and lots and lots of people's heads Wink

It's feels like 'been there done that'. I mean it's a cool idea but he's kind of drilling it into the ground a bit...

Hm, drilling.. We are ALL Innocent

Yeah, like I said, it's nothing original or different. Not saying it's bad, but I'd love to hear him go in other directions too. I'm sure there's a lot rattling around in that big, lovely head. Wink Poor bitter Dave with his Souvenir Paper Heart. Although we did get Honest, and that's still one of the best damn bad relationship songs. Sooo, it's not always a bad thing.

*thinks about drilling also* Suspect

Late to react, but squee at the return of the thread. The song seems to not escape me, it's stuck in there. Banging head

Guest Guest
It really makes me wonder what the hell kind of relationships he's had. I swear the man has more lyrics that imply his heart has been stomped on than any other artist I'm familiar with.

And what female in her right mind would do that to him? Suspect Crazy woman!

LOL flag

Seriously though, he must have an entire stockpile of "shitty relationship" lyrics and metaphors in that big head of his.

I'm sure they are rolling on their floors right now, pulling their hair out Pulling hair thinking why did I let him go...I'm such an idiot!!! Tantrum

But more for us, and whomever is meant for him in the end.

It definitely has paved the way for him to work his magic in songwriting, pulling all that life experience.

Guest Guest
The poor guy. It's like his relationships never just not work out or fade away. They end in a storm of emotion that rip his heart to shreds and throw it in the recycling bin. Thankfully he always seems to keep that hope alive that love is still worth searching for.

I completely agree Barb. I've had my share of shitty situations, but I just can't put them into words as well as he does, lol. If you look at Axium, nearly all of AH, and a few post-Idol songs, there's so much heartache and loss and even some self-doubt. It makes me sad for him, although it's a universal feeling that people can relate to. I think it's one of the reasons Analog Heart hit me so hard. It's one thing to hear a song, but it's another thing to feel it. And I can feel that whole album.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.