Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

"Hard To Believe"

Guest Guest

New music Excited

Remember this thread contains SPOILERS Wink Lyrics with thanks to DavidCnDannyluvr

Edited to correct lyrics to agree with cd liner notes

"Hard To Believe"
(David Cook / David Hodges / Jess Cates / Lindy Robbins)

Stay, tell me the story again
How it all fell apart in the end
And just when you thought you were too far gone
you're too far gone

Wait, maybe the reasons don't fit
But when did you lose innocence?
And when did you find that you can't hold on?
You can't hold on

When the whole world brings you down

When stars fall and ground breaks
You're sinking 'cause it's too late
Don't tell me that it's over
Even though you're finding it hard to believe
Even though you're finding it hard to believe, yeah.

Faith, it's easier said than done.
When it's so hard to trust anyone
And maybe it's just a place inside that you can hide

Wait, I can see you slipping away.
Just stay with me.

Don't tell me, that it's over

When the whole world brings you down,

I'm right here, I'm right here
Just stay with me

You're sinking cause it's too late

You're sinking 'cause it's too late (just stay)

(In the darkest of nights, I will be there)
(When you're lost, I will guide you home)
(In the darkest of nights, I will be there)
Yeah, yeah

awww, poor "hard to believe." i love this song SO MUCH. the lyrics just make me catch my breath, in the best way possible. not in the same way as, say "take me as i am" or "circadian" or even "time marches on," but still. it's amazing.

ack! i feel like i keep saying the same thing about this album and each song: it's AMAZING! i wonder if i will ever find new words to describe it? <3

Here's the lyrics from what I can tell:

Stay;
Tell me the story again
How it all fell apart in the end
Just when you thought you were too far gone
you're too far gone

Wait;
Maybe the reasons don't fit
When did you lose any sense?
And when did you find that you can't hold on?
You can't hold on

When stars fall
and ground breaks
Don't tell me
That it's over

Faith;
It's easier said than done.
When it's so hard to trust anyone
Maybe it's just a place inside
That you can hide

Wait;
I can see you slipping away.
Just stay with me.

When stars fall
and ground breaks
Don't tell me
That it's over

When the whole world brings you down...

When stars fall
and ground breaks
I'm right here,
I'm right here
Just stay with me!

When stars fall
and ground breaks
You're sinking cause it's too late

When stars fall
and ground breaks
You're sinking 'cause it's too late (just stay)

The background vocals I'm not sure about on this part:

(When the dark hits the night,I will be here)
(When you're lost, I will guide you)
(When the dark hits the night; I will be here)

Guest Guest

Thanks, Spice! I'll add it to the OP Very Happy

We're doing great at having all the lyrics in their threads very quickly Great

Although, as I said in another thread, David will mess with them all the time, lol.

You're welcome! I'm glad to help. haha And yeah, definitely. We should keep track of how many differences there are in the lyrics when he goes on tour just to see how much he messes with them LOL flag

I don't really need the lyrics cause I've been singing this song since last year Very Happy
It's a good feeling that I can automatically sing along Smile

ETA: For you who doesn't know, this song was David Hodges'. And David did a remake of it.
Here's Hodges' version, more smooth:

Ok it's official this song is going to be the end of me!!! So heartbreaking so desperate, so much emotions and layers to this song. I'm so, so in love with it. Awww Love

Guest Guest
I seriously can't get this song out of my head! It's there when I wake up and throughout the day at different times. It's not my fave but there it is. The Universe must be trying to tell me something.

It's hard to believe it's not your favorite, right, Kathy? Lol!

I had almost forgotten about the song until I saw it on the tracklisting. Do I need to say I love Cook's version more? Wink

Guest Guest

Clever, Dinna. RazzLOL Face

Guest Guest

Btw, the lyrics here seem right to me. Great

*runs from song* Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Guest Guest
LOL Face Kathy!

I had forgotten this was a remake Duh Looove it anywho!

Guest Guest

I woke up today with "REM" in my head. Then later before I went out, the last song I heard was "4 Letter Word" so I thought that would be in my head until I came back home.

No. A few minutes later I noticed "Hard To Believe" was in my head. I think I'm being haunted. ShockedLOL Face

I actually do really like the song... it's just weird that it's always in my head. Smile

Guest Guest

Same happens to me, Kathy. Different songs pop in my head throughout the day. I now have kind of a melange in there LOL Face

I just can't get this song out of my head, ever since the first time I've heard it. There's just something about this song and his heartrending lyrics that makes me feel so emotional. Anyway, here are my thoughts about it:

The way I see it, this song is about someone, the same one that cries "mayday, somebody save me now" at the beginning of the album, who is at the deepest of his despair. That someone feels as if they are at the end of their rope and think that there is no way out. Throughout the song he keeps on slipping deeper and deeper into his desperation.

Then someone hears his call and comes to try and help him find their way back. They say, "Stay" Don't go there yet, don't give up "Tell me the story again" and maybe together we can figure out what went wrong and find a way out, a way to change the things that made you feel like this. They ask that person to recount the story that lead to this low point, "Maybe the reasons don't fit", maybe once you tell me the story we'll see that it's not as bad as you think.

I know you are so desperate that you feel it's the end but there's got to be away to fix it. I know that it doesn't seem like there is one, at the moment when you feel so hopeless but "Don't tell me that it's over”, even though you're “finding it hard to believe," because even though you don't feel that it's possible I'm telling you that it is possible and we will find a way.

I know you lost all "Faith" but try to trust people again, I know it's not something that is easy to do when you feel so low and disappointed by everything and everyone but try to do it anyway because not trusting others is just a way to hide, ("a place inside that you can hide") from letting others in and giving others the opportunity to help you.

But the person trying to save that someone fails and he still sees the other person slip away. Then he begs him, "Just stay with me" and even though you feel the weight of the world pulling you down and you feel like it's too late don't loss hope, I heard your cry and "I'm right here" to help you, then the music increase and comes to a pick when the desperate cry that tears my heart every damn time comes, "Just stay with me."

He keeps on saying, I promise, "When the dark hits the night, I will be here." I'll never leave your side every step of the way, every time you feel like you're losing it again, that you are slipping again, every time you feel that the world pulls you down again, that you're lost, trust me and know that I will be here, "I will guide you" always.

I think of this song as an answer to the cry, "Mayday, somebody save me now" and he is answered, "I'm right here, just stay with me." Trust me and, "I will guide you". As if the cry for help at the beginning is being answered here. That even though it all seems lost sometimes there is always hope, If you only trust these around you and lean on them, you can find your way out.

I think this song is the most powerful, emotional, desperate and hopeful song in the album all mixed in one amazing wrap.

Well, at least that's how I see this song and that's what it makes me feel. I hope it all make sense. Smile

I wrote this analysis/interpretation a few days ago and today I came across this review on Amazon from someone that has an extensive musical background. I think she summarize perfectly what I I've been trying to say here.

"(5) Hard To Believe is one of the best songs on the record, a virtual masterpiece. It starts like a simple little ditty, almost nursery-rhyme-like, then just builds and builds to a breathtaking climax of overlapping countermelodies that are goose bump worthy every time. It is perfect from beginning to end; stunning. The lyrics belie the simple tune at the beginning, for they touch deeply on a loved one losing faith, and present the singer in first person as the supporter. "I'm right here, I'm right here..." It's powerful. She, alas, is unsure. He holds a crazy high Bb. Also in my top five best."

http://www.amazon.com/This-Loud-Morning-CD-DVD/product-reviews/B004WOS7LO/ref=cm_cr_pr_redirect?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0

"(When the dark hits the night,I will be here)

(When you're lost, I will guide you)"

I think it's:
"In the darkest of nights, I will be there"
"When you're lost, I will guide you home"

anat, honestly, your last post got me a little teary. that's an amazing synopsis of the song, and i think you might be right.

although david has said it many many times that his lyrics are open to interpretation, your analysis has a ring of truth to it.

Oh thank you Gen Hug And I'm sorry I made you teary, this song makes me teary every time I hear it.

Of course this is only my interpretation of the song and how it makes me feel.

Guest dawtreecookie
I'm LMAO... the chorus of this song reminds me of a slower tempo version of "Dammit" by Blink 182, in terms of the rhythm/structure of the phrases.

This part:
The steps that / I retrace / the sad look / on your face
The timing / and structure / did you hear / he fucked her?
A day late / a buck short / I'm writing / the report
On losing / and failing / when I move / I'm flailing now

LOL. Great, now I'll always have this weird connection in my head.

I love when he sings soft and low, "I'm right here...I'm right here...." and then wails "Just stay with MEEEEEEEEE". Thud!

Anat, you're recount on the song totally painted a picture for me. It was like I was watching a story unfolding in front of me. This song is so powerful and so moving, and everything that you said made it even more so.

Anat, you're recount on the song totally painted a picture for me. It was like I was watching a story unfolding in front of me. This song is so powerful and so moving, and everything that you said made it even more so.

Aww thank you so much, Collette. Hug