Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Earthquake/Irene/Tropical/Lee and Texas wildfires WNs check in please.

Guest Guest
I know that people on the West coast are fairly used to this. But this doesn't happen on the East Coast very often. We had a 5.9 quake this afternoon. It was pretty scary but we are okay. Lots of swaying and noise with a broken picture or two from falling off the wall.

I hope to hear from other forum members in the quake area so that we know you are all okay.

ETA: Speaking of things that don't hit the northeast very often, on the tail of the earthquake Hurricane Irene is headed up the East Coast. It is expected to follow the Jersey shore right into New York City/Long Island with winds still over 100 m.p.h., then onto Boston and still a hurricane when it hits Canada. Please, everyone on the East Coast coasts keep a close eye on storm tracking and be ready to evacuate if need be and please check in with the rest of us (as I will do) to let us know you're safe. It's not going to be anywhere near as bad as a Katrina, Ike, Andrew or Hugo, but we don't expect hurricanes this far north. they're usually downgraded to tropical storms at worst by the time they're up here. So everyone be careful and if you have to evacuate, don't forget your pets in carriers and food & water for them.

Guest Guest
Thanks for posting, Barb! That's scary and I hope everyone is OK!!!

I'm fine - didn't even feel it here in Manhattan though I know others in the area did. Which is weird because when I lived in California for nearly 20 years I always felt them, even small ones other people didn't feel. I guess I re-trained my senses to tune out shaking to assume it's just a truck or subway or plane passing by.

Hope everyone is safe. And I know even if you and your loved ones are safe and sound, it can be a total mindfuck so don't be afraid to share if you're freaking out a bit. I know of what you speak.

Guest Guest
I've never felt a quake before so at first I had no clue what it was. I do feel a bit disoriented and dizzy. But I'm guessing that is just the adrenalin rush causing that.

Barb, that and earthquakes mess with your equilibrium even after they are over. Your unmoving reference point, the Earth, moved. Your brain / inner ear don't know 100% what is down and what is up any more because down shifted. It's a mindfuck that doesn't go away when the earth stops moving.

ETA: I've been in earthquakes ranging from almost unnoticeable to a 7.0. If you are walking/biking/driving during a small-moderate earthquake, you might not even realize the ground is shaking, but your inner ear with be fucked with nonetheless. In California, I've been walking and found myself suddenly off-balance and dizzy for no good reason, and looked at my watch, and seen in the paper the next day, sure enough, there was a smallish earthquake when I felt that.

Just can't believe earthquake occurring in the East Coast and at that magnitude - 5.9! That's pretty strong - even for West Coast "standards".

Living in the West Coast, I can't quite get used to what one feels when the ground underneath is moving.

For me it's not so much the movement as the fearful thought of "is this the BIG one?" since the freaking media constantly harps on "California is really due for a Big one".

Anyway, I hope all of you folks that have been affected by the recent quake are okey. Hug

Guest Guest
I hope everyone in the areas affected are okay!

I'm ok. I was laying in bed when it happened, xD and all of a sudden my bed started shaking and then my desk and everything on my desk. lol

I didn't know what the hell was happening. But luckily it only lasted like 10 seconds.

Guest Guest
Interesting... getting home and reading local news people in my area felt it. I didn't, but there were reports of buildings shaking some. It was mostly felt here by people on higher floors of tall buildings, from what I'm reading.

Yeah, the higher you are off the ground, the more shaking. In NYC, the top of skyscrapers sway a few feet in just a bit of wind.

We weren't sure what was going on at work until my supervisor came out of her office, and assumed it was an earthquake after having been in a few.

wow! I hope everyone getting these eathquakes are ok. that is scary for sure. I remeber last year when we ha an earthquake in Quebec and at the time, I was in my class room and all of a sudden, the ground started to shake real hard. my desk was really unsteady for a few seconds then it stopped luckily.

hope ya'll getting safe! SmileSmile

Stephora aka cookienerd0006
Declaration tour '09: 13/03;23/05'03/08;04/08;02/10'03/10;14/11;16/11

I felt it I had no clue what it was I was laying in my bed trying to sleep when it happned

Guest Guest

Hope everyone's okay and I'm happy to see our Word Nerds checking in. Group Hug1

I was up in Boston when it happened and I felt nothing. I know some people in my town felt it though. Everything here is totally fine.

I live in Northern VA, and work 39 miles from the epicenter (I couuldn't believe how close it was until I saw the map on the news this evening). Let me tell you, we SHOOK like crazy! I knew exactly what it was. It was just too long and intense to be anything else. But thanks goodness there were no serious injuries or significant property damage reported. Quite remarkable!

My husband was at the Capitol for a meeting and in that environ the first thought is "under attack?!"

So glad everyone else is OK too!

Chrissie, glad to hear you and your family are just fine!

We were pretty close too. I was working at our high school and the ceiling and walls were vibrating back in forth sort of like the waving of a flag. My hubby was in the Capitol as well where it was apparently worse. Everyone is OK though. I think people are more spooked by it rather than the magnitude of any damage done.

I'm in Central PA. I was talking to 2 co-workers when, all of a sudden, it felt like the building was rolling/swaying and there was a rumbling sound. We stopped talking until it was over and then looked at each other and said, "What was that?" We went out into the hallway where we heard voices, and everyone agreed it was an earthquake.

my husband was in the lunch room at his job when the Quake happened he works here in New Jersey not far from where we live at all. We live in Bordentown and he works in Robbinsville he said they evacuated his building

Guest Guest
Thanks for checking in, guys! When Barb posted about this and then I read that a large portion of the US East coast (even up in Toronto) was affected, I really freaked out!

How weird is it that suddenly the East coast is getting quakes too?!?!?

too weird and scary I was laying in bed trying to sleep and I felt my bed shake but I didn't know what the hell was happening i'm honestly still freaked out by it

It was crazy! We felt in it Hershey! My daughter was at the doctors and she was sitting on the table. I felt my chair shaking and she goes why is my bed moving? And the doctor confirmed he felt it too and we weren't losing our minds, lol.

Thank goodness it didn't seem to cause any serious damage. I was reading about how an earthquake on the East Coast will be felt further away than when it happens on the west coast due to the dense rock on the east coast which increases the speed of the wave.

I found my lack of cell phone service for most of the afternoon the strangest.. I could not make or receive any calls. But could send texts on occasion. Suddenly around 7 I got all these voicemail messages.

yea my husband said he tried for over an hour to get intouch with me when it happened but my phone wasn't ringing at all

I live and work in Northern Virginia. My office is about one mile from CIA headquarters and when the shaking started, I initially thought that the Agency might be under attack. I never experienced an earthquake and this was a very different event for me. I work in a high-rise and heard the stampede of people in the stairwell so I decided to scram and get out of the building. My office needed some clean-up upon my return. Except for frayed wits, no one was injured. My house appears undamaged. I did not find any wall cracks. What a weird event for this part of the U.S.

Guest Guest
I had a problem with cell phone service for a few hours. It would randomly work for texts, but if I tried to make a call it would give me the "network not available" message.

My brother works not far from the Pentagon. When it first started he thought it was a bomb or another airplane crash. My sister lives in VA and she was in the dentist chair getting her teeth cleaned. She said it was pretty bad, she was thrown around a bit in the chair.

The strangest part was that my dog freaked out a couple of seconds before the shaking started here. She was spinning in circles and barking.

Stacy, That is interesting info about the inner ear/balance problem with quakes. Thanks for the explanation.

There are three building in my court. One of the buildings lost power during the quake. They still don't have it back.

yea apparently cell phones and landlines were affected from this quake

@iLoveDC wrote:
I'm ok. I was laying in bed when it happened, xD and all of a sudden my bed started shaking and then my desk and everything on my desk. lol

I didn't know what the hell was happening. But luckily it only lasted like 10 seconds.

same here minus the part about the desk I was clueless too

I felt a little tremor here in Mass for about a minute... but i just thought it was a truck going by at first, stupid me... lol... i didn't hear about the quake til after that, then i was a little freaked out... but i do hope everyone is ok, i wish everyone well Hug

I read about it on Twitter and I went here to find this thread. When I saw the title, I thought "oh, I should report too" even if I'm clearly not from the East Coast. Lol. But we did experience a couple this month. Nothing damaging, thank God.

Unfortunately, earthquake happens quite frequently on my side of the world and it has come to the point where if I'm asleep and my bed is shaking, I would just open my eyes and think "oh, another earthquake" and then go back to sleep. But I won't do that if bigger ones happen and God forbid I don't want another to happen.

I'm glad everyone who's reported is safe Uber hug

I was on my way to buy some groceries, when I realized I hadn't eaten any lunch yet, and it was almost 2:00 PM. Since there is a McDonalds on the way to my supermarket, I pulled into the drive thru, ordered, and then parked in McD's lot. Just as I was about to take a bite of my McChicken sandwich, my car started shaking. At first I thought that I might have forgotten to turn off the ignition....so I checked, and it was off. Then, I thought, wow, I didn't realize it was this windy today, and I looked at the surrounding trees, and the leaves were blowing a little bit, but not enough to shake a car. I figured I must have parked in a very drafty spot or something! Never having experienced an earthquake before, that never even occured to me. After it stopped, and I finished my lunch, I went merrily on my way to the supermarket. About an hour later, when I got home, I turned on the TV to catch General Hospital, lol, and there were all the news reports of the earthquake....who knew!?! So, I guess I'm not an 'earthquake virgin' anymore Scared!

On another note....wow, some of you were in bed just before 2:00 PM!?! *Am Jealous!* Wish I could take afternoon naps like that!

@LuvDC wrote:
I was on my way to buy some groceries, when I realized I hadn't eaten any lunch yet, and it was almost 2:00 PM. Since there is a McDonalds on the way to my supermarket, I pulled into the drive thru, ordered, and then parked in McD's lot. Just as I was about to take a bite of my McChicken sandwich, my car started shaking. At first I thought that I might have forgotten to turn off the ignition....so I checked, and it was off. Then, I thought, wow, I didn't realize it was this windy today, and I looked at the surrounding trees, and the leaves were blowing a little bit, but not enough to shake a car. I figured I must have parked in a very drafty spot or something! Never having experienced an earthquake before, that never even occured to me. After it stopped, and I finished my lunch, I went merrily on my way to the supermarket. About an hour later, when I got home, I turned on the TV to catch General Hospital, lol, and there were all the news reports of the earthquake....who knew!?! So, I guess I'm not an 'earthquake virgin' anymore Scared!

On another note....wow, some of you were in bed just before 2:00 PM!?! *Am Jealous!* Wish I could take afternoon naps like that!

I think it's safe to say most of us who live on the East coast are no longer earthquake virgins

Just reading this! Hope that everybody is okay!

DEBRA

justforme wrote:
I had a problem with cell phone service for a few hours. It would randomly work for texts, but if I tried to make a call it would give me the "network not available" message.

My brother works not far from the Pentagon. When it first started he thought it was a bomb or another airplane crash. My sister lives in VA and she was in the dentist chair getting her teeth cleaned. She said it was pretty bad, she was thrown around a bit in the chair.

The strangest part was that my dog freaked out a couple of seconds before the shaking started here. She was spinning in circles and barking.

Stacy, That is interesting info about the inner ear/balance problem with quakes. Thanks for the explanation.

There are three building in my court. One of the buildings lost power during the quake. They still don't have it back.

Barb, thank goodness your sister's dentist was not in her mouth with a drill at that moment!!!

@dudwalt wrote:
I live and work in Northern Virginia. My office is about one mile from CIA headquarters and when the shaking started, I initially thought that the Agency might be under attack. I never experienced an earthquake and this was a very different event for me. I work in a high-rise and heard the stampede of people in the stairwell so I decided to scram and get out of the building. My office needed some clean-up upon my return. Except for frayed wits, no one was injured. My house appears undamaged. I did not find any wall cracks. What a weird event for this part of the U.S.

We have a crack in the drywall near the top of the cathedral ceiling in our bedroom. Pictures were knocked off of bureaus, and my daughter's bookshelf was a mess! My neighbors have felt the 4.2 and 3.9 aftershocks but us? Nada! scratch

Guest Guest
Oh wow, Chrissie. I hadn't thought of that, but it could be terrible! *shudders*

Barb, interesting that your dog had that reaction. Animals seem to sense things before people do. Living in tornado country, I pay more attention to my dogs and the neighborhood animals than I do the TV warnings, or the tornado sirens. If the dogs are calm, I don't head for the basement during a storm. If they are acting weird, I'm downstairs as quick as I can get there.

Chrissie, I'm glad the damage wasn't worse. My niece just moved from NYC to Raleigh, NC last week. Her NYC roommate called her yesterday. The kitchen cupboard doors opened and she came home to find all her dishes smashed on the floor, and all her pictures off the wall. My niece was pretty glad she had moved when she did.

We were pretty close too. I was working at our high school and the ceiling and walls were vibrating back in forth sort of like the waving of a flag. My hubby was in the Capitol as well where it was apparently worse. Everyone is OK though. I think people are more spooked by it rather than the magnitude of any damage done.

Glad you guys are fine!

When I look at the maps on TV, I can't believe how close my office really was to the epicenter! It felt pretty major up-and-down BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE. We were headed into a meeting with a family and the instinct is "cradle and cover the children!" My husband felt more of a "shake" impact. In Chinatown, Mary said it was like a scene out of a movie. The lobster tanks shook wildly and a Chinese lady started screaming hysterically "Earthquake! Earthquake!"

I was at the county fair with Abi so I didn't feel anything but my husband (at work) said he did. Being this far away, I think you almost had to be in a building to notice.

I'm glad everyone on the east coast is okay.

@redsoxmom wrote:

Glad you guys are fine!

When I look at the maps on TV, I can't believe how close my office really was to the epicenter! It felt pretty major up-and-down BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE. We were headed into a meeting with a family and the instinct is "cradle and cover the children!" My husband felt more of a "shake" impact. In Chinatown, Mary said it was like a scene out of a movie. The lobster tanks shook wildly and a Chinese lady started screaming hysterically "Earthquake! Earthquake!"

Chrissie, that's how you can tell, when you feel an earthquake that feels medium-sized, if it's actually a medium-sized one nearby or actually a big one far away. The closer you are to the epicenter, the more you feel the initial up and down jolt. The farther away, the more it's side to side, and farther yet, it feels kinda watered-down. If it's practically right under your feet like that, you can be jolted enough to come up out of your seat like a roller coaster!

Glad everyone is safe. Smile

Im glad every one is doing ok aside from being freaked out .

Shocked This is really scaring, I only felt one earthquake once and it was horrible.
It's nice to see everyone around. And you're safe Group Hug1

I feel so left out, I didn't feel a thing. A girl from the office upstairs from mine called me in a panic, asking me if we felt the building shake, and my boss attributed it to the guys working in the next building. What a surprise a few minutes later to find out there was an earthquake.

I guess I'll make up for my disappointment when Mother Nature delivers Hurricane Irene to the east coast over the weekend.

all kinds of Natural disasters here all of a sudden first the earthquake now freaking Hurrican Irene what's going to be next

Holy crap I'm looking at my weather app and Irene is suppose to still have 100-mph winds when it reaches NJ! ShockedScared! I thought they always die down a lot more before making their way to the Northeast. My Monday morning commute is going to be HELL. The subways are a clusterfuck lately even with moderate rains.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.