Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cookie4tune

THE BAG PAGE: What's in David Cook's Bag? (by Strait Times Singapore)

Quote :
@davidcooksg Ever wondered what's in @thedavidcook's bag? Straits Times URBAN finds out! pic.twitter.com/9dWfeoPG4j

bezdcd10.jpg

He carries two books with him. BOOKS....not one of those abominable e-readers (which would probably be more convenient for him). He likes REAL BOOKS. Awww Love

He carries two books with him. BOOKS....not one of those abominable e-readers (which would probably be more convenient for him). He likes REAL BOOKS. Awww Love

I like seeing that! I feel that real books is something we're losing now with all the e-readers and such! Good for Dave!

DEBRA Great

@dsil wrote:

I like seeing that! I feel that real books is something we're losing now with all the e-readers and such! Good for Dave!

DEBRA Great

Yes !! I also Awww Love Real Books like him !!
So cute he keep 2 fans gifts at his bag !! Melt
I liked the sleeping pills tip (I'll search for them when I go to US) - I have the same problem specially when I try to sleep at a plane. It's an ordeal to me.

I have to agree, I still read real books, there is something about holding a book that can't be the same with a 'reader' I was interested in the headphones that he uses, too. David seems sentimental so not surprise at fans gifts

Guest Guest

Love what he carries around with him! Such a sentimental guy Heart

The books reminded me of the time I had a looong commute to work and I did exactly the same: carry one light reading one and more serious one to chose from depending on the mood I was that day Smile I'm a real book person too.

Guest Guest
I like real books, but I got a Kindle a couple of years ago, and will never go back. Especially now that they made an awesome Kindle app for the iPad. So much more convenient to carry, you can take your whole library with you, the books are so much cheaper*, and there is no problem with having to store or get rid of books. (As a big reader, that has always been a major problem for me.) And since you store your books in the cloud and just download them when you want to read them, they don't take up room on your device. I wasn't sure I would like it when I first got one, but as I said, I love it and will never go back.

*ducks thrown tomatoes*

*For example, this weekend Amazon ran a sale on Kindle books, and I bought 7 books for just under $12. Regular paperback prices would have been around $80, regular Kindle prices would have been around $50. And they run those kind of deals all the time. For a voracious reader like I am, it's a real blessing. As is the fact that my library now loans ebooks as well. So I don't even have to go to the library to check out a book, I can just do it online and it will appear on my Kindle... And disappear when it is due back. No late fees, which I was notorious for getting, since I can never seem to remember the due date for returning library books.

Jeannie, I have a question about your Kindle? Do you have to pay $70 or more for some sort of membership? My friend got a new Kindle for Christmas and they have to pay 70 something dollars or something like that? Maybe it wasn't monthly. Maybe yearly? But some sort of fee?

My husband has a Nook and I think it's horrible. I hate reading on a computer screen. Like Frannie, I love holding a book--the weight of it, the feel of the pages. I love the smell of books when I walk into a bookstore. There's more to reading than just looking at the words on the page. The whole experience of reading a book just isn't there with an e-reader.

It makes me sad to think that in the not too distant future, bookstores and libraries will be few and far between.

Guest Guest
Viv, I have never heard of such a thing. I bought my Kindle, and the only additional charge is for when I purchase a book. The Kindle app for my iPad was free. It sounds like your friend is getting ripped off somehow. My kindle even has free 3G so I can download books online even when I am not connected to wifi. I don't have to pay for that either.

Dorothy, I understand what you are saying. I do like to hold a book. But I gave in and I don't regret it at all. For me, it's awesome and worth not having a book to hold in my hands.

I do NOT like Nooks. My friend has one, and it is much less comfortable to me to read on.

I do agree that bookstores and libraries are going to go away, and that is sad. I agree that the smell of a bookstore is nice, and I do miss the smell of books.

In our area, all the bookstores in a 15 mile radius have closed except for one Barnes &Noble, and they have cut their book stock by about 40%. Almost half the store is educational toys now, and a large section of it was turned into a Starbucks. It's sad to go in there and remember what it used to be like, and it's sad that about half the time if you want a specific book, they have to order it for you because they don't have it in stock.

Not to mention, I'm sure an afternoon spent browsing and exploring here:

kt-sla11.jpg

is just as charming and delightful as one spent here:

jeffer11.jpg

Wink

Guest Guest

LOL, not arguing with you. I just prefer the convenience and better prices, and the other things don't make up for that for me, much as I enjoy them. And I still go into bookstores a few times a year. I browse, I make lists, and then I go home and order the ebooks online. Wink I end up with twice as many books as I could have afforded at the bookstore.

But I don't feel bad, since when I go it's usually to take my mom who stocks up on books for herself... They get way more money from her than I would have spent, and she wouldn't get there if I didn't take her.

Guest Guest
I love my kindle. I also love my local used book store. I go in there often and stock up. Paperbacks are $1-$3, hardbacks usually about $5. The best part is that I can sell back the books. They pay .50-.75 for paperbacks and $1 for hardbacks.

It does make me sad to think about libraries, book stores and printed books disappearing. I keep my classroom full of classic children's books.

Guest Guest
Viv, I'm guessing that the yearly membership fee is for Amazon Prime. It's about $70 per year. Members get to borrow a certain amount of books from Amazon for free, instead of buying them. Membership also includes free shipping on some items and movies/video streaming.

Convenience....that's what it's all about. We're all willing to let go of things with character, with charm, with beauty, with history....all for what's convenient.

It's great that you still go to bookstores, but as the popularity of e-readers continues to climb, what do you think will happen to them?

The picture I posted is from the NY Public Library. I'm fairly certain that that's not going anywhere. Although I'm just as sure that at some point it'll just be turned into a museum, with all the books behind glass and velvet ropes. Look at, but don't touch, the "rare antiquities".

OK, I'm done preaching. We now return to our regularly scheduled David worshiping.

Guest Guest
Ah, Amazon Prime is probably the answer, Barb. I forgot about that.

Like I said, I agree that it's sad and I will miss bookstores if it comes to that, and i hope it never does. But yes, convenience and price win out for me. I love to read, and I read more with my Kindle. So it's the right choice for me.

Barb, we used to have used bookstores here and I loved them. Those are all gone now too.

Jeannie wrote:
Barb, we used to have used bookstores here and I loved them. Those are all gone now too.

Wait....wait. Are you telling me that there are NO bookstores where you live? None? Not even one crappy Borders or anything?

God, what a world. Somebody come and hold a pillow over my face tonight.

Guest Guest
The closest book store to me is three towns over. Except for the used book store in the farmer's market. Our Borders and the Borders Express in the mall closed down two years ago.

LOL read Jeannie's comment again DP. She said they have no used book stores.

Guest Guest
Just the Barnes & Noble I mentioned earlier. I have to go at least a half hour drive to get to another B&N, the only Border's in our area closed about a year ago, Walden's has been gone for a few years, and Little Professor even longer than that. And I live in a suburban area with a mall, four or five plazas' and a ton of free standing stores within a few minutes drive from my house. We have every kind of home improvement store, clothing store, sporting goods store, etc. imaginable right here... But just one bookstore that doesn't even carry many books.

Guest Guest
Have faith DP. My daughter and almost all of her friends still choose real printed books for their college textbooks. She said highlighting, taking notes etc are a PITA on e readers.

justforme wrote:
LOL read Jeannie's comment again DP. She said they have no used book stores.

Oh. OK. Whew.

Forget what I said about the pillow then.

I love real books and I have a Kindle, which I love just slightly more. Convenience wins, like Jeannie said, because I'm nowhere near a light packer when it comes to traveling so I always had to add another bag to carry the books. It uses extra space in the car/train and most of the time it was someone else's space.

Plus, bootleg books are everywhere here (I know, horrible), it's hard to tell which is the original one (price is usually the same). And while I LOVE smelling the paper whenever I turn the page of a book, now I only buy books I want to collect for my future kids or grandkids or something.

Guest Guest

I hear you, dp!!! Reading all of the comments about books, for once I'm glad I'm living in "third world" country, LOL. Bookstores, libraries, etc. still thrive here and there's only a few people who have Kindles and such. I have just redone one of daughter's bedroom as my own study with 3 full bookshelves, plus the other 3 I have scattered around the house. Smile

Having said that, I understand the practicality and convenience of e-reading but I, for one, am not going "Farenheit 451" any time soon!

justforme wrote:
Viv, I'm guessing that the yearly membership fee is for Amazon Prime. It's about $70 per year. Members get to borrow a certain amount of books from Amazon for free, instead of buying them. Membership also includes free shipping on some items and movies/video streaming.

Yea, that's it. Amazon Prime. So she didn't need that to use her Kindle Fire? She was confused and so am I? I don't know what Amazon Prime has to do with using a Kindle?

Barb has answered that, Viv. Amazon Prime members get to borrow (certain) books for free so they don't have to buy them.

Guest Guest
I'm not sure about the Kindle fire. I have a regular 3G Kindle. Prime is a membership Amazon offers. It's a choice thing, my kindle works without the membership.

OK. So you pay 70 a year to borrow books for free during said year. got it. Not worth it. but got it. lol

Guest Guest
There are other benefits to having Amazon Prime from what I hear. I don't have it myself, but as a student, my son gets a free version of it. You don't have to pay shipping on ny order you make from Amazon, and you get two day delivery on things. There are also a bunch of videos that you can watch for free instead of buying or renting them. (Kind of like Netflix.)

But I have a friend with the Kindle Fire, and she doesn't pay for Amazon Prime. Sounds like your friend signed up for it when she bought her Kindle. They are always asking if you want a "free" month's trial of Prime. But it's one of those deals where if you say yes and the month runs out without you canceling it, they charge you for a year and you are stuck with it.

Guest Guest
LOL flag dp! Let them talk and enjoy books their own way. As for us, let's smell, feel and treasure our old, simple yet magnificent paper books Very Happy

Guest Guest
LOL Face

Honestly, I am always happy to hear anyone is reading a book whatever way. Too many young people don't know the joy of reading, IMO. I feel sorry for them. They have no idea what they are missing.

Guest Guest

ITA, Jeannie! It's a pity young people are not reading as much as we did, though it is said that the Harry Potter saga brought many children and youth back to books Smile

When I was a kid, my mom wanted me to read so badly that she paid me to read books. $5 a book. lol I now love to read. Thanks mom. Smile

Jeannie wrote:
LOL Face

Honestly, I am always happy to hear anyone is reading a book whatever way. Too many young people don't know the joy of reading, IMO. I feel sorry for them. They have no idea what they are missing.

THIS.

I live with a cousin studying law in college and in three years I have NEVER seen him reading ANY kind of books. Now THAT is just SAD, SAD, SAD.

Viv, I want your mom. Lol. My grandparents always bought me books instead of clothes. Grandpa used to say "I want my legacy to be the knowledge I passed on to you, not money or other visible things".

Guest Guest

That was very wise, Dinna. Knowledge is something nobody can take away from you Smile

Guest Guest
My mom loves to read. Some of my earliest memories are of her reading to us. I don't remember her ever reading children's books, it was always Poe, Steinbeck etc. All six of us grew up to be readers. I started reading to my two children the day they came home from the hospital. I can remember my son sneaking a flashlight into his room so he could read at night under the covers when he was supposed to be sleeping.

My daughter has a lot of coworkers and friends who have or are having babies now. More often than not she buys books as gifts for the kids' birthdays. She texted me from the book store a few weeks ago. She was looking through the children's section and found a book called The Kissing Hand. She wanted to tell me that she remembered me reading it to her when she was little. I admit I got teary eyed lol.

I love to hear about people, especially kids, who love to read. But I also think there's a difference between someone who loves to read, and someone who is also a book lover.

My mother loved to read., but she also loved books. I remember her telling me that once, after she was married, she went to visit her parents and noticed that all of her favorite books from when she was a child were gone from her room. My grandmother boxed them up and gave them away, not even thinking that my mother might want to give them to her own kids one day.

As a result, she kept all of my books, which I have passed on to my daughter. When she was young, I was in her room at night reading "Little Women" to her and a letter fell out. It was from my mother. She had written it after I got married, but before I had Holly, and tucked it into her favorite children's book. (She might've been better off tucking it inside my favorite children's book, which was "Anne of Green Gables", but let's not split hairs Wink ).

Anyway....the letter said how happy she was to have a daughter who loved books as much as she did, and she hoped that someday I'd have a daughter who loved them (which I do). I found the letter after my mother was already gone, so you can imagine what it meant to me.

Try having an experience like that with a Kindle.
Razz

Guest Guest

Aww, that is a very sweet story Dorothy. Your mother sounds like she was a very special woman.

All my childhood books are boxed up in my mom's attic. (And she keeps telling me those boxes are coming down and to my house.) had I had a daughter they would have been here long ago, but I don't think my boys would have appreciated the Little House series, or Little Women, or the others I loved and cherished. But I started reading to all my boys when they were infants, and they all love reading. I still buy them each at least one book for Christmas - yes, a real book, although they all have e readers. LOL Face (Trust me, I am not anti-book, just because I love my Kindle. I do have books I will never get rid of - some of which I also have a copy of on my Kindle for convenience.)

Aww, what sweet stories Awww Love

DP, when (if?) I have kids one day, I'm pretty sure I'll be reading them real books, not Kindle Razz

Stories about passing on books for generations make me kick myself that I didn't keep my books. I lent them to friends and some did not return to me (some friends, huh? lol). I've actually been tracking down some of the books I used to read when I was little and buying it one by one. It's scarce but I managed to find some. One of the series I would love to get my hands on again is the Martine series by Gilbert Delahaye, a Belgian author. The illustration (by Marcel Marlier) is what sucked me into an endless adventure in my mind.