Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grumpyowl

Stainless tinkering when will it end ?

Don't know if this should be here or in some other section (move it if it's wrong no1 )

I've had a little tinker with some stainless bolts this afternoon,
Exhaust header bolts,
exhaust hanger bolt,
rear footrest and hanger bolts,
top and bottom Yolk bolts,
chain guard bolts.

I think this might become adictive I've started, wonder where it will end ? fofl

the mrs leaving if she ever found out the amount i've spent on mine..............maybe i should tell her Very Happy

its never ending jim,once that bling bug grabs hold of ya,theres no going back

not even the priory rehab can help ya Laughing

I don't know when it will end, but unfortunately, I can tell you how it will end and that's in tears.
When different metals come into contact with each other one always becomes the anode and one the cathode and electrolysis (which is the technical name for the process people call oxidization or rusting, it's not a chemical reaction but an electrical process) happens. The combination of stainless on ally is one of the most aggressive in this process.
I've just rebuilt a RD500 for a guy and every exhaust stud had been replaced with a stainless one. Every one came out leaving a big cavern of white powder where the hole with the thread should have been in the cylinder. A very typical result of the stainless/ally reaction and it has cost him a lot more money.
We use them on the race bikes, that I will admit, but they are on/off, on/off so many times and have a relatively short life span it isn't such an issue. It's when they are left connected together for a long time the problem is occurring under your noses, but unfortunately, out of sight.
There are some coated stainless bolts that reduce the risk. They are a lot safer, Titanium is far less aggressive.
After all that, yea, just like you, it's nice to see a bit of bling.

I don't know when it will end, but unfortunately, I can tell you how it will end and that's in tears.
When different metals come into contact with each other one always becomes the anode and one the cathode and electrolysis (which is the technical name for the process people call oxidization or rusting, it's not a chemical reaction but an electrical process) happens. The combination of stainless on ally is one of the most aggressive in this process.
I've just rebuilt a RD500 for a guy and every exhaust stud had been replaced with a stainless one. Every one came out leaving a big cavern of white powder where the hole with the thread should have been in the cylinder. A very typical result of the stainless/ally reaction and it has cost him a lot more money.
We use them on the race bikes, that I will admit, but they are on/off, on/off so many times and have a relatively short life span it isn't such an issue. It's when they are left connected together for a long time the problem is occurring under your noses, but unfortunately, out of sight.
There are some coated stainless bolts that reduce the risk. They are a lot safer, Titanium is far less aggressive.
After all that, yea, just like you, it's nice to see a bit of bling.
wont copper slip help,or duralac compound,copper slip been the cheapest option works for me Smile

the process you describe above is galvanic corrosion
the best way to prevent this occuring is to pick two metals that are close together
on the galvanic scale and prevent any electrolite IE water getting too them
aluminium and mild steel are close together on the galvanic scale
as is galvanised mild steel however S/S is a long way apart from aluminium on the scale
copper slip will help as it prevents the electrolyte solution entering the threads
and is largely un affected by the exhaust temp