Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XS1100

Yamaha T80 2 week rebuild on a mission!

This may take a wile Smile
A story about the last motorcycle my dad rode and owned the Yamaha Townmate T80.
Paul RIP

My Dad was a keen motorcyclist all of is life and owned many bikes in is time.
This is a little wright up on the last bike he owned before he died Dec 2009.(not a sob story)
He like the Little Yam it was light easy to start As arthritis had set in big time.
And then he was diagnosed with cancer from be exposed to asbestos when he was a young electrician.
I new is days where numbered and to keep is spirits high I suggested that I restore the T80 back to as new condition.
The old man was chuffed as it gave him some thing else to do and think about other than is poor health.
I new I only had a matter of weeks to get the job done and met some good people along the way.
First off was to pull the bike down and get the frame blasted and checked over for rust holes the rear mud guard on theses are prone.
I called the bead blasters they said bring it down with all the other bits that needed doing this I did pronto,They did the lot in a few days.

Frame blasted and welded
Which gave me time to get the wheels pulled apart and re-spoked I asked for best chrome rims and stainless spokes and nipples also skim the drums polish the hubs and fit new brake shoes.new tires tubes and rim tapes where ordered.

next call the painters and arranged the whole lot to be sprayed in 2 pack I wanted this to look the dogs and sod the expense.

The engine needed a clutch fitting other than that it was sound

Now the race was on throw it all back together sling it in the back of the van and drive the 150 mile to pops is house.
I deliverd the shiney T80,
My dad was happy with the result and sadly passed away 4 days later.
So chins up and live for the now! thumbs

Me Old Man takern around 1955 Vincent 1000 was like a fireblade today Very Happy

nice work mate,well worth doing I bet just to see the look on your dads face,at such a bad time

well done applauseapplauseapplause

Hi Lee it was and I kept sending him every detail along the way each day he got pics and emails so I did me bit,just gota crack on and have a good day think positive and have a nice time. Laughingparty and party

i got my dad a flying lesson for his 70th birthday he produced some flying log from the war and he had more hours in than the instructor and he hadnt flown since 1945 he said it was the best present anyone had ever gave him oh and he flew perfectly

Grumpyowl do you not hang around with this crowd?
C90 cubs and The T80s

@XS1100 wrote:
C90 cubs and The T80s

Shocked look at that lot,remember haveing a c50 for work

@XS1100 wrote:
C90 cubs and The T80s

No I'm not man enough now!! the last cub I bought was new "W" reg 1981 totally abused never let me down a gallon a month ish to go to work on..
That piccie just shows what I'm missing
lol!

I appreciate it must have been a sad time but it was really nice to read about what you did thumbs

Fair play to you mate, be proud of yourself im sure your dad was, lovelly story thanks for sharing it. thumbs

You did a crackin job there XS , your dad must of been dead chuffed.