Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikey_b

Knocking noise

Been hearing a knocking noise coming from the engine area on my Bandit. Seems to speed up with the revs. Isnt very loud but still noticeable. Any ideas how serious it can be? Anything to do with cold starts?

Cheers

It might pay you to get a stethoscope, or failing that a long screwdriver held to your ear, to try & pin down more exactly the location of the knocking. Otherwise it's pretty much impossible to be of any real help Smile

Knocking or tapping? how many miles it done? 600cc or 1200cc

@XS1100 wrote:
Knocking or tapping? how many miles it done? 600cc or 1200cc

Not many more miles if the engine is knocking.

Could be a cam chain tensioner rattle
Otherwise it could be a cam shell gone pop.

Put in gear, put the brake on and slowly let out the clutch till the engine is under load if the noise gets worse then it could well be a bearing faliure. Dont throw the clutch out it will just stall.

If you are not confident with this do it in an open space... Have seen people get muddled and crash into the garage wall.

thumbs

Judging by his/her single post and lack of response, I get the feeling we're taking this a little more seriously than the OP. scratch

Judging by his/her single post and lack of response, I get the feeling we're taking this a little more seriously than the OP. scratch

Impressed with my answer though...mind you the BF did say not to cut and paste the part of video in shower Laughing

hey guys thanks for the replies, sorry took so long to get back, been a crazy week, been so busy starting a new job and trying to juggle things outside work.

Was letting the bike tick over in the garage tonight. Not sure if it is my imagination but it seems to be knocking at its worse when it has a cold start, when the bike is warmed i can't hear it as much.

I tried to pin point the sound, but not 100%, i believe it is coming from somewhere in the top half of the engine (im not that mechanical when it comes to the engine of a bike so couldn't think exactly where). As when it comes to not having a clue about engines, I think i might be best getting it checked by a mechanic? Like to try things myself, but have limited knowledge.

Bike has 26k miles and its a 2001 b6.

@mikey_b wrote:
hey guys thanks for the replies, sorry took so long to get back, been a crazy week, been so busy starting a new job and trying to juggle things outside work.

Was letting the bike tick over in the garage tonight. Not sure if it is my imagination but it seems to be knocking at its worse when it has a cold start, when the bike is warmed i can't hear it as much.

I tried to pin point the sound, but not 100%, i believe it is coming from somewhere in the top half of the engine (im not that mechanical when it comes to the engine of a bike so couldn't think exactly where). As when it comes to not having a clue about engines, I think i might be best getting it checked by a mechanic? Like to try things myself, but have limited knowledge.

Bike has 26k miles and its a 2001 b6.

When did you check valve clearances last?

get the rocker cover off,and check the valve clearances,and check the cam chain' whilst your at it thumbs

If the noise is worse whilst cold then this points more to cam chain tensioner or even something as simple as a leaking exhaust gasket by the manifold. Bearings and engine wear noises tend to stay despite the internal expansion of the engine.

It's my first bike, had it just over a year and haven't checked valve clearances. Is it tricky to do? Will read up on it. With all this crap weather might as well do a bit of work to the bike while its snowing.

Trying to learn as much as I can, so cheers for the pointers. Gonna do an oil and filter change pretty soon. Also looking into cleaning out the brake calipers and replacing the seals. So hope all goes well.