Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yankeedoodle

powering a garage

hello all.

hoping someone might have some experience they can share with me.

the garage me and dudeskin are renting at the moment has no power. now we need to power the lights and our pillar drill

We're going to be getting a leisure battery to power the 12v lights we have (thanks dave). Just wondering if we could use an inverter (and an additional battery if necessary) to power the pillar drill?

This would be better than buying a generator cos its quieter and alot cheaper in the long run.

Anyone got any tips/ideas/suggestions?

thanks thumbs

the inverter would need to be large enough to power the drill, 12vdc input 230vac out at what ever watts the drill is
which will put quite a drain on the battery so because you need to charge the battery a large one would be a good idea like a lorry battery then i dont see too much of a problem
have you considered a wind generator?

cheers mate. the batteries we're looking at are like caravan batteries and are 85ah, so I can get a couple if needs be.

the inverter shouldnt be a a problem, but im not sure what power the drill is.

got some spare turbines knocking about have ya? Very Happy

car alternator and fan belt driven by a small garden ornamental windmill
will charge the battery if pulleys are right size

Guest Guest

inverter and a solar charger sorted thumbs

Hi All

I once made a wind driven generator from a car alternator and catering size food can.
The alternator wes mounted vertically and the can fitted over it with a reinforced end and slots in the side bent out to form vanes similar to the cowlings seen on chimneys.With this type of rotor there is no need for complicated slip rings/contacts as it will be driven from any direcion without having to track the wind.

Running through a regulator/rectifier it kept my boat batteries well topped up.

One last thought I use an old cordless drill (battery failed)in my camper to pump water by soldering a pair of leads and running it from the van batteries. why not use an old battery drill to power your piller drill, you can buy them cheap if they have dud batteries from car boots.

I also use an LED cluster as a low volt light.

All the best Rocker1

@rocker1 wrote:
Hi All

I once made a wind driven generator from a car alternator and catering size food can.
The alternator wes mounted vertically and the can fitted over it with a reinforced end and slots in the side bent out to form vanes similar to the cowlings seen on chimneys.With this type of rotor there is no need for complicated slip rings/contacts as it will be driven from any direcion without having to track the wind.

Running through a regulator/rectifier it kept my boat batteries well topped up.

One last thought I use an old cordless drill (battery failed)in my camper to pump water by soldering a pair of leads and running it from the van batteries. why not use an old battery drill to power your piller drill, you can buy them cheap if they have dud batteries from car boots.

I also use an LED cluster as a low volt light.

All the best Rocker1

Brilliant idea. thumbs

steam engine theyre quite quiet ( bugger me got those the right way round)
Fred Dibnah knew a thing or two you know

do you know where i can get a 3 mile extension lead?lol. I like the streetlight idea but there isnt any that close.there are some nearby flats tho lol