Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XS1100

True story from 1977 tire repair

Many years ago 1977 My brother On GT750 kettle had a punture on the way back from Matlock Bath (front tire)
we stopped at the side of the road.
(I was on 400F never ever let me down in 65,000 mile untill I crashed out big time. Sad )
Without removing the wheel removed the tire From the rim one side only packed it with grass from the verge so the tyre was solid and eased the tire back on the rim and rode it the 20 odd mile home! thumbs Not recomeneded repair these days they cut the verge grass to short Laughing

heard of that fix a few times years ago,although never tried it meself,things were different in the 70s,we used to wear our tyres to the canvas(due to always bein broke)we used to stop 50 yrds from the town centre where we used to gather,put the bike on centre stand(remember them lol)and draw tread on rear tyre with big marker pen??? gently roll bike last 50 yards and park up,if the local panda car came by as long as they didnt get too close it looked like we had tread on tyre??????,mad or what pmsl

Yes we would get a self tapping screw in a chunk of would and regroove some tread down the center line with the bike in gear on the center stand.
the Black marker pen sounds safer Laughing

blimeythat does sound dodgy,the marker pen only lasted a very short disance though,the things we used to do !

Ive got a real recutter for tyres truck only though Laughing allthough i have had folk in the past ask me to recut there bike tyres ShockedShockedShocked id never do it especially this day an age... but years ago folk did Shockedthumbs

we used to fix pushbike punctures with grass thumbs

[quote="XS1100"]Many years ago 1977 My brother On GT750 kettle had a punture on the way back from Matlock Bath (front tire)
we stopped at the side of the road.
(I was on 400F never ever let me down in 65,000 mile untill I crashed out big time. Sad )
Without removing the wheel removed the tire From the rim one side only packed it with grass from the verge so the tyre was solid and eased the tire back on the rim and rode it the 20 odd mile home! thumbs Not recomeneded repair these days they cut the verge grass to short Laughing
lucky he didnt have a mow out Laughing