Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardH

chain tension

Had a new tyre put on at last MOT, decided to alter my chain tension and can I get the two nuts to budge, before I go round and make an arse of myself, have I missed summut, I'm asuming you just loosen the two big nuts either side of the wheel then twiddle the adjusters, ( Bandit 600)

As far as I can remember itch u only need to loosen the one castle nut as the other is part of the axle. Castle nut is the one with the split pin in it. Then u turn the bolts at the ends of the swingarms to adjust the chain.

you talkin to someone that knows jack shit about bikes, I just ride em Very Happy

@darkember wrote:
As far as I can remember itch u only need to loosen the one castle nut as the other is part of the axle. Castle nut is the one with the split pin in it. Then u turn the bolts at the ends of the swingarms to adjust the chain.
agree thats right Wil thumbs

Tried both DM, wont budge, I will take it back to where the wheel was put on but didnt want to look dafter than I am

AHH, SPLIT PIN head banghead banghead bang

Right undo the big nut on the left hand side. then adjust the little bolts either side. but leave a little bit extra when you tighten the big nut up again it will tighten up the chain a little bit more, you want about 30cm of free play in the chain. hope this helps thumbs Invest in a haynes manual they are great for DIYing.

@day101 wrote:
Right undo the big nut on the left hand side. then adjust the little bolts either side. but leave a little bit extra when you tighten the big nut up again it will tighten up the chain a little bit more, you want about 30cm of free play in the chain. hope this helps thumbs

Day i think he was trying to undo the main bolt without removing the split pin

@darkember wrote:
@day101 wrote:
Right undo the big nut on the left hand side. then adjust the little bolts either side. but leave a little bit extra when you tighten the big nut up again it will tighten up the chain a little bit more, you want about 30cm of free play in the chain. hope this helps thumbs

Day i think he was trying to undo the main bolt without removing the split pin
Ahh right okay thumbs

Ok chaps job done, I was doing it right, no split pin just done up chuffin tight, big spanner and stood on it, violla! Thanx for your help thumbsthumbsthumbs

ITCHY wrote:
Ok chaps job done, I was doing it right, no split pin just done up chuffin tight, big spanner and stood on it, violla! Thanx for your help thumbsthumbsthumbs
make sure you do it up to the right torque thumbs

fofl Yeh right, that.ll be as tight as I can get it then Very Happy

ITCHY wrote:

will that be tight enough then scratch

@Davehutch wrote:
ITCHY wrote:

will that be tight enough then scratch

It'll have to be mate, no torque stuff here, lucky to have a spanner that fits

200 nm to be precise but ive got to be honest i do to the setting of FT. thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
200 nm to be precise but ive got to be honest i do to the setting of FT. thumbs

100nm john for the rear axle nut

ITCHY wrote:
you talkin to someone that knows jack shit about bikes, I just ride em Very Happy

A kindred spirit thumbsthumbs. I have a Dad who's fettled bikes for 40 years and two sons who are fully trained mechanics. Why keep a dog and bark yourself foflbananafoflbanana

ITCHY wrote:

A kindred spirit thumbsthumbs. I have a Dad who's fettled bikes for 40 years and two sons who are fully trained mechanics. Why keep a dog and bark yourself foflbananafoflbanana
Thats why i have Day101 Laughingthumbshide hes a good kid thumbs