Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pugeyed

Yamaha XS900 Triple Cafe Racer Build......."SHAFTY"

well bought something today that made me re-think my colour scheme for the paintwork. Wink

oh yeah sorry lol.

bought one of these mugs from the BSB at silverstone.
its changed my whole outlook on the bike, how about black frame white bodywork with red and black stripe?

@pugeyed wrote:
oh yeah sorry lol.

its changed my whole outlook on the bike, how about black frame white bodywork with red and black stripe?
Original yam race colours oh yesssss thumbsthumbsthumbs

Cool colours Mark. Would be very nice. I'm questioning myself regarding colour schemes as well. Trouble is, there's loads of really good one's and I want them all. You been on a jolly today then ? I've been busy grinding again and a spot of polishing to finish up. more of the same tomorrow. What about you ?. Gaz thumbsthumbs

yeah i know too many colours to choose from, ive got the look in my mind , just need to transfer it to the bike. Laughing
you still going with the original blue?
yep been on a jolly, i was hoping i could go today but no such luck.
post some pics of your progress matey.
today i will be cleaning more carbs so might put some pics up later thumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
yeah i know too many colours to choose from, ive got the look in my mind , just need to transfer it to the bike. Laughing
you still going with the original blue?
yep been on a jolly, i was hoping i could go today but no such luck.
post some pics of your progress matey.
today i will be cleaning more carbs so might put some pics up later thumbs

Hello mate, I got a flash of inspiration yesterday, whilst removing more scrap metal from the frame. I figured that the original blue with those original decals would look cool but perhaps not very race like, might look like i had just stuck a cafe seat on a cb 250. I think i'll just keep looking until I need to decide. I did however make the decision to start breaking the other cb250, I was reaching the point where I need too many spares to resist breaking it. What made the decision was that the swing arm spindle on the cafe was completely seized. I had to cut it out yesterday. Anyway, cut a long story short, I am robbing the swing arm, complete engine, a fork leg and a few other bits and pieces, I will sell the rest of the good parts to fund something on the cafe racer. I will post some pics later, hoping to get the tank and seat unit stripped back and filled today as well as a bit of polishing
. Gaz thumbsthumbs

just scored a bargain set of headers for it should be here sometime this week.
will be wrapped in black exhaust wrap, so should look good. thumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
just scored a bargain set of headers for it should be here sometime this week.
will be wrapped in black exhaust wrap, so should look good. thumbs

Very nice. thumbsthumbs

well headers turned up and they are complete garbage, rotten in 3-4 places so they are going back!

this week have been working on my seat/tail section and front mudguard.

cut down the sides of the seat so it matches the bottom line of the tank and rubbed the cone down to bare fibreglass and gave it a coat of primer, still needs lots more work yet.

chopped the sides off the front mudguard and took off id say 12-14 layers of paint, right back to original fibreglass, this took about 7 hours of sanding off and on so doesnt look like much work but hands are sore now lol.
still needs chopping to size still a bit long.

parts arrived from the netherlands , new fork drain screws to go in my polished legs, and new bottom fork bolts.

here is what the whole lot together looks like

still need to fill with oil and am waiting for some stainless fork caps to be made from a chap in scotland.

once i get my refund from my crap headers i can buy a new front tyre and mount the front wheel. thumbs

@madsod wrote:
looks well good love it thumbs

Nice work Mark. I know exactly what you mean about "doesn't look much work" quality not quantity mate that's what matters and your doing a quality job, front end looks sweet, looking forward to seeing it with the wheel on. thumbsthumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
oh yeah sorry lol.

ive got one thumbs nice colours too Smile

cheers people,nice colours arnt they dick.
im not doubting my decision but just thinking about it lol

well tonight's episodue looks at the wiring loom.
x2 looms came with the bike 1 very good and 1 that looked like it had been attacked with a chain saw.

so i started stripping the old tired loom tape off and retaping so the loom kept its original shape

have only found x2 repairs in the whole loom so looking good.

here is the pile of old stuff i took off.

and found some nice woven stuff to go over the straight bits.

next thing to do is put it on the bike and work out which bits need extending, battery terminals for one etc.

Impressive work and progress so far thumbs Keep reading across waiting for the progress pics. Keep at it thumbsthumbs

cheers mike!

clipons turned up today, very happy with them, quality is good, hope they stand up to the test!
here is a pic

top yoke is just placed on

cheers madsod added to the ebay list lol.

havent done much to it lately, been getting the swingarm ready for powder, which means making blanking plates for pretty much every hole in it.

put my fork oil in 2nite and put the top caps on.
chap in scotland has finished my stainless fork leg caps they should come next week.

ordered some bolts to hold the caliper brackets onto the forks.

hoping to get my refund for the crappy exhaust i bought soon so i can buy a front tyre for it and put the front wheel in.

having some custom stainless brake lines made in the states so that should be good.

bidding on some NOS outer valve springs for the engine as you can no longer get them and they will probably need changing when i pull the engine apart.

these are the headers i will probably buy as they are the cheapest i have seen and are stainless.
http://www.bitzforbikes.co.uk/Downpipes.-ref-11085-773-443-36.html

thats what we like to hear dick, some of the parts are very cheap just wish i had the money to buy the headers lol. thumbs

so not much to show for the last week, still working on the wiring loom, fitted a new fusebox as the old one was well past its best.
got my refund from my crap exhaust so 2nite i bought the front tyre, which means i can put the front wheel in. Dismantled my fuel taps at the weekend and cleaned them out using the ultrasonic, need to do a well known mod on them as they dont have an off position so leak fuel as they get older.
dont think i will be using the front mudguard now (after all that work!) seen this one which i like better.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270829157570?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1202
I won the outer valve springs on ebay for a bargain price , and have started to dismantle the engine, took the sump off and cleaned that out along with the oil pump strainer. thumbs

cheers folks!

another small update, fork leg caps turned up today from Yantosh.
fitted a treat which is always nice, wanted stainless but they look ok in alloy, certainly weigh alot less.

and bolts for caliper carriers as well.

and finished cleaning out the sump , god i hate old gaskets, they just take forever to remove....

oh this is the front tyre i ordered, still need to buy the rear but that will have to wait.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350496241480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_6576wt_952

spot on mark,yantosh is good and his prices are thumbs

well yesterday i spent an hour putting the front tyre on hoping to bolt it to the front end, didnt want to mark the wheel so took my time, only to blow it up and the bloody inner tube has a hole in it thumb down

typical!, new one ordered and on the way.

really should be taking the engine apart, but feel like shite.

never mind onwards and upwards..... Rolling Eyes

Never mind Mark, at least you're making progress. Mine is on hold now. Put the house on the market this week and flat out completing stuff for the photo's (next Tuesday). Don't see me doing anything to it before I get a new home now either, work has gone mental as well, I need about 40 hours in a day and ten days in a week at the moment. Keep up the good work, I haven't posted anything but I am still following yours mate, I really must see it in the flesh when you finish it. Gaz thumbsthumbs

good luck with the move gaz!

after a liberal dose of alcohol last night, i woke up this morning feeling great.

so took the cams out, cut the cam chain with my dremel and took the head and barrels off the engine.

all looking good so far, very dirty in there but will clean up well.

think its been bored in the past? as it has these numbers on the sleeves, will have to measure the pistons with my vernier guage

front inner tube turned up today so can now put that in, and new rear brake line from hel turned up, have a chap in america making me some black stainless braided hoses to get rid of the splitter as i cant find any that run direct from the master cylinder to the calipers.

have this chap designing and building me a new cam chain tensioner as the old one is well past its best.
http://www.kriegercamchaintensioners.com

thats about it folks, waiting to get paid on the 25th then i can order some more parts!
party

Looking good. Has it had the Henry Abe 900cc big bore kit fitted in the past?

@fr499y wrote:
Looking good. Has it had the Henry Abe 900cc big bore kit fitted in the past?

not sure matey, its had new sleeves , pistons and rings so is a possibility, none of my numbers match up with it being overbored to 1st 2nd or 3rd over standard size,ie pistons are bigger, will have to look into it more.

no pics but more news, black braided lines turned up from usa, valve springs still havent turned up.

decided i wasnt happy with the wheels so took all the new bearings back out and dropped them off for powdercoating today, along with swingarm and sidestand.

really busy with work at the mo doing 13 hour days so have very little time to spend on the project and on here actually.
boo Laughing

im afraid im a perfectionist and they looked great but it was only satin spray paint it seems and wouldn't have lasted long, better to do it right. thumbs