Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gazman

Trace an old bike

Does anyone know if it's possible to trace the current owner of a bike I once owned ? I had an old James Captain 197cc, it had a rigid frame and was built in 1952. I sold it in 1980 to someone, without the log book, as I didn't have it. Last week I typed in it's number plate on the DVLA website and it came up with all of the correct info including engine size, year of manufacture and colour but obviously not the current owners contact details. I would like to trace this bike and make contact with the current owner to register my interest in owning it again, as it was my first ever bike which I owned from the age of 12 to 15 and used it on private land. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Gaz

Guest Guest
@Gazman wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to trace the current owner of a bike I once owned ? I had an old James Captain 197cc, it had a rigid frame and was built in 1952. I sold it in 1980 to someone, without the log book, as I didn't have it. Last week I typed in it's number plate on the DVLA website and it came up with all of the correct info including engine size, year of manufacture and colour but obviously not the current owners contact details. I would like to trace this bike and make contact with the current owner to register my interest in owning it again, as it was my first ever bike which I owned from the age of 12 to 15 and used it on private land. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Gaz

Maybe DVL will pass on a letter, its worth a try.

i tried the dvla search for my old z1r and it came back as last taxed in 1983 so i think it was written off Sad

@pugeyed wrote:
gaz you can request the information from the dvla, they have the right to refuse you but as long as you can provide "reasonable cause" why you might need the info then they normally say yes.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_4022067

That's the only way but you've got to have a good reason to get it, and there's a fee.

Rose coloured glasses though dude, my first bike was the Frsncis Barnett equivalent - 197cc Falcon I'd never want that back. Laughing