Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Tyres

Guest Guest
Bit long winded but bare with it...

I've got a new CBF100F, it has BT57's on the bike. Well Friday I was due to go away for a weekend in Wales and 30 mins before the off, I checked the tyres to find the rear down by 10Ibs. I had a bloody nail in it.

I've only done 2500 miles on the bloody thing, so I phone round and no one has the 57's so I have to go with the 23's which I was going to up grade to, when I needed.

Question is, will it make much of a difference keeping the 57 on the front, I don't really want to fork out more money. The rear cost me £140 I could of done without spending...

So Stue...Do you reckon its alright to leave as is?

M&P do some good tyre deals rose shame you already got a rear Sad i cant see youll have a problem but id change it when you can thumbs i take it the 57s OEM ?

get a pair of maxxis for just over £100 Smile that way you can keep the front as a spare or sell it Smile

Hello Rose ive just looked up on this and rang me mate darren who works for technical Bridgestone and he said it was fine, he just said that without staiting the obvious that the bt57 are new are were designed for high performace sport/touring, they have Dual Aligned Compound (DAC) increases wear resistance in center tread, for higher mileage, and also have C.T.D.M. (Comprehensive Tyre Design Method) for improved lateral stiffness, contact patch, linear handling, and cornering performance. So whithout boring you anymore..Yes it will be fine thumbs to put a 23rear on thumbs

Guest Guest
@Stue11 wrote:
Hello Rose ive just looked up on this and rang me mate darren who works for technical Bridgestone and he said it was fine, he just said that without staiting the obvious that the bt57 are new are were designed for high performace sport/touring, they have Dual Aligned Compound (DAC) increases wear resistance in center tread, for higher mileage, and also have C.T.D.M. (Comprehensive Tyre Design Method) for improved lateral stiffness, contact patch, linear handling, and cornering performance. So whithout boring you anymore..Yes it will be fine thumbs to put a 23rear on thumbs

So what your saying is that, its not going to cause me a problem having the older model on the front and the newer model (compound) on the back.

And thanks Stue, appreciated..

Rose wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

So what your saying is that, its not going to cause me a problem having the older model on the front and the newer model (compound) on the back.

Yea Rose it will be fine, ive got the 23s and they are great thumbs

Guest Guest
@Stue11 wrote:
Rose wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

Well the 23's on the rear where good in Wales, pissed down and windy too, loads of slurry on the roads and didn't miss a beat.

I know your get sick of this but just to clarify again, the 57's are fine to leave on the front and run with the 23's on the back?

and out of interest, how much would you charge for a 23 on the rear and fitting?

Rose wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
Rose wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

Well the 23's on the rear where good in Wales, pissed down and windy too, loads of slurry on the roads and didn't miss a beat.

I know your get sick of this but just to clarify again, the 57's are fine to leave on the front and run with the 23's on the back?

and out of interest, how much would you charge for a 23 on the rear and fitting?
Thats fine to run with the 57 thumbs ile pm you now thumbs

Guest Guest
Alright, call me a whimp if you want but I got so much conflicting advice that I finally gave up and phoned Bridgestone myself.

They said I couldn't run the 57s on the front as its a completley different tread and compound. So I bit the the bullet and bought a new front today.

So now explain to me, when it comes to putting the weights on for balancing, so you have specific places you can put them or is it free hand so to speak. Because they couldn't of been put in a more ugly or pronouced place if the bloke had tried any harder. And and and why oh why can't we have coloured ones, bloody silver ones on my black alloys look crap...

depends on where the wheel is heavier/lighter to where the weights go.. its not a case of dumping them where you feel!! Normally you would want a stickier tyre on the front or same as the back, not a harder one, but ive ran mixed before, infact ran a hard on the front at one point and a soft on the back, didnt give me any problems other than 3 rears to the front instaid of the usual 2!! mixing tyres is fine aslong as your not mixing the types ( cross ply with radial )

@fr499y wrote:
depends on where the wheel is heavier/lighter to where the weights go.. its not a case of dumping them where you feel!! Normally you would want a stickier tyre on the front or same as the back, not a harder one, but ive ran mixed before, infact ran a hard on the front at one point and a soft on the back, didnt give me any problems other than 3 rears to the front instaid of the usual 2!! mixing tyres is fine aslong as your not mixing the types ( cross ply with radial )

agree

Rose wrote:
Alright, call me a whimp if you want but I got so much conflicting advice that I finally gave up and phoned Bridgestone myself.

They said I couldn't run the 57s on the front as its a completley different tread and compound. So I bit the the bullet and bought a new front today.

So now explain to me, when it comes to putting the weights on for balancing, so you have specific places you can put them or is it free hand so to speak. Because they couldn't of been put in a more ugly or pronouced place if the bloke had tried any harder. And and and why oh why can't we have coloured ones, bloody silver ones on my black alloys look crap...
so you asked stu for his advice ,and took no notice Huh

Not for the first time I read on a forum about someone having their leg lifted over tyres. So much crap is talked about tyres, treads, compounds, lean angles etc it's untrue. Literally untrue. Unless you're Vale Rossi most combinations of commercially available tyres will get you from A to B in good order. Some may grip a bit more in the rain, some will warm up quicker than others, some will work better at extreme lean angles, but those of us who ride well within our own, and therefore our bike's, capabilities, have nothing to fear. Thank god I'm a tightwad! Smile

I have mixed tyres many a time with no probs at all, also had many a puncture repaired and carried on till the tyre came to the end of it's life. Wink

That front tyre you removed was ok and would not have caused you any problems. If you don't like the silver balance weights then paint it/them black.

Was the wheel balanced with the discs fitted?

Guest Guest
Yes, I did ask for Stues advice but like any grown up, I took the advice from lots of different people and phoned Bridgestone Tech myself. Who took the time to explain why the front should be changed.

If you bother checking out the tyre your realise I've upgraded to a sport tourer and the front tyre was a 14 yr old technology compared to the one on the rear.

Secondly, If I could have had the rear fecking plugged I would have, I'm not that bloody stupid. It couldn't be done because of the direction the NAIL had gone in.

Trust me, I didn't want to change it at all but I made the decision to do so and I paid for it.

The tyre was not balance with the discs fitted, I take it you mean the disc the brake caliper fits on?

Rose wrote:
Yes, I did ask for Stues advice but like any grown up, I took the advice from lots of different people and phoned Bridgestone Tech myself. Who took the time to explain why the front should be changed.

If you bother checking out the tyre your realise I've upgraded to a sport tourer and the front tyre was a 14 yr old technology compared to the one on the rear.

Secondly, If I could have had the rear fecking plugged I would have, I'm not that bloody stupid. It couldn't be done because of the direction the NAIL had gone in.

Trust me, I didn't want to change it at all but I made the decision to do so and I paid for it.

The tyre was not balance with the discs fitted, I take it you mean the disc the brake caliper fits on?

If it was not balanced with the brake discs fitted you might just as well rip the weight(s) off cos the balance is crap! Any unbalance in the disc(s), and axis position will affect and previous balance without disc(s) fitted.

@Kenb wrote:
Rose wrote:

If it was not balanced with the brake discs fitted you might just as well rip the weight(s) off cos the balance is crap!

why were the disc's off ?? is it a Honda thing ??

Guest Guest
I don't know, maybe they weren't, I didn't have my bloody glasses on, I was more interested in looking at the numbers coming up on his screen, which is why I will ask tomorrow...

Rose wrote:
I don't know, maybe they weren't, I didn't have my bloody glasses on, I was more interested in looking at the numbers coming up on his screen, which is why I will ask tomorrow...

So it was dynamically balanced so they will tell you, not static balanced.

@Neill wrote:
@Kenb wrote:
Rose wrote:

If it was not balanced with the brake discs fitted you might just as well rip the weight(s) off cos the balance is crap!

You know Neill, as I know, any addition to a balanced assembly will add unbalance which will need correcting.

Guest Guest
@Kenb wrote:
Rose wrote:

So it was dynamically balanced, not static balanced.

Dynamically..

@Kenb wrote:
@Neill wrote:
@Kenb wrote:
Rose wrote:

You know Neill, as I know, any addition to a balanced assembly will add unbalance which will need correcting.

i know Ken but why would they unbolt the disc when fitting a tyre??

mine have never been removed and I dont see why they would.

@Neill wrote:
@Kenb wrote:
@Neill wrote:
@Kenb wrote:

i know Ken but why would they unbolt the disc when fitting a tyre??

mine have never been removed and I dont see why they would.

Its how some tyre fitters take the tyre off, so they can never be accused of screwing up the disc(s). Remove discs then they have no chance of resting on any surface. Seeing this practice more and more, that is why I asked the question. Others remove the disc(s) for access because they can't use standard in the toolbox valve puller and have sweet nothing else available except pliers.

Rose wrote:

Why the attitude to peeps replys who are trying to help? I am pretty sure with curt retorts like the above themnext prob you post up thereplys will not be so forthcoming... Wink

Rose wrote:

Why the attitude to peeps replys who are trying to help? I am pretty sure with curt retorts like the above themnext prob you post up thereplys will not be so forthcoming... Wink
Rose Rose, bridgestone will tell you to change the front tyre afterall they want the sale, i would have asked them why they were fitting 14year old tech tyres on an 11plate bike, reason mainly old stock and Honda struck a deal being jap, thumbs

Guest Guest
Rose wrote:

Because if I'm honest Rob I felt you thought I was a complete idiot and hadn't even thought about getting the tyre plugged. Of course I had, I didn't really want to spend 140 quid on getting a new tyre and looked at all the options.

I also took in all the advice from a several of forums and made up my own mind on the information given to me, the tech pages from Bridgestone and there tech bods.

If I listened to everything I was told and believed it I'd have thrown my £450 quid helmet away instead of sending it back to the maufacture for testing to find that there was nothing wrong with it.

Maybe I didn't use enough smilies in my post.

Guest Guest
@Stue11 wrote:
Rose wrote:

Rose Rose, bridgestone will tell you to change the front tyre afterall they want the sale, i would have asked them why they were fitting 14year old tech tyres on an 11plate bike, reason mainly old stock and Honda struck a deal being jap, thumbs

Exactly Stue, I blame Honda!! Laughing

Rose wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
Rose wrote:

Exactly Stue, I blame Honda!! Laughing
agreethumbs

I hope you have the "old" tyre at home and have not left it with the tyre place.

Guest Guest
@Kenb wrote:
I hope you have the "old" tyre at home and have not left it with the tyre place.

Morning Ken

No, I have the old tyre and confirm they balanced the tyre with the disc on...

Rose wrote:
@Kenb wrote:

Morning Ken

No, I have the old tyre and confirm they balanced the tyre with the disc on...

Must be worth £30/£40 on ebay. That will pay part of new tyre cost.