Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janiew650

Help with planning a European road trip on the very cheap (and hopefully cheerful)

Dear All

I am hoping to ride to Europe from one ferry port and then come back via another. I would like to do Belgium and possibly Sweden too. I have never been to Europe on a bike so any suggestions for routes, cheap hostels/campsites, places to avoid or must see locations would be much appreciated.

I am hoping to go for about 10 days.

Thank you
x

I have never taken my own bike obroad ive always hired one once ive arrived...simply because i have a phobia for panniers SurprisedLaughing theres a few members on here that will probably more help than me Laughing Itchy rode to frace on his this year, Smilinjack is another with ideas and routes, and we also have three members on here from Swedan, there user names are, Maveric, Gizmo, and Sweban, try pm them especially as they live in Swedan, hope that all makes sense for ya thumbs

@Janiew650 wrote:
Dear All

I am hoping to ride to Europe from one ferry port and then come back via another. I would like to do Belgium and possibly Sweden too. I have never been to Europe on a bike so any suggestions for routes, cheap hostels/campsites, places to avoid or must see locations would be much appreciated.

I am hoping to go for about 10 days.

Thank you
x

sounds good never done it myself YET! good advice off stue other members should be able to help you out Smilethumbs

Thank you for that, I had a bit of a chat with Gizmo the other night. I was in Sweden then.

I am not planning on taking a lot...basic camping stuff and a change of clothes or two..so hoping I wont need panniers etc. Or is that being a bit unrealistic do you think?

@Janiew650 wrote:
Thank you for that, I had a bit of a chat with Gizmo the other night. I was in Sweden then.

I am not planning on taking a lot...basic camping stuff and a change of clothes or two..so hoping I wont need panniers etc. Or is that being a bit unrealistic do you think?
PANNIERS NOOOOO IMO, Laughing if i was travelling abroad on me own bike i'd throw away my dirty clothes and buy new just so i dont have to have panniers Laughing but thats just me.... thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@Janiew650 wrote:

PANNIERS NOOOOO IMO, Laughing if i was travelling abroad on me own bike i'd throw away my dirty clothes and buy new just so i dont have to have panniers Laughing but thats just me.... thumbs
i can post you a set mate thumbs

Lol...a man after my own heart. I'm quite good at basic packing/camping.

Its years of trying to fit everything on my bike including myself with minimum effort and minimum washing when I return.

@dick65 wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
@Janiew650 wrote:

i can post you a set mate thumbs
smackLaughing

@Janiew650 wrote:

Its years of trying to fit everything on my bike including myself with minimum effort and minimum washing when I return.
Good i like your way of thinking thumbs theres two things in life i cant stand, and one of them is panniers, the other one i wont mention...as im sure the other fellow members wont such up about them all night thumbs

i got a back rack that comes off in seconds for tent etc, three diff size tank bags (expandable) always handy,and my trusty oxford expert rucksack also expandable,really comfy and great for work and touring plus i got a large boot under my seat!! depends what you need Smilethumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@Janiew650 wrote:

Good i like your way of thinking thumbs theres two things in life i cant stand, and one of them is panniers, the other one i wont mention...as im sure the other fellow members wont such up about them all night thumbs
im all ears stue!!! lol!

@dick65 wrote:
i got a back rack that comes off in seconds for tent etc, three diff size tank bags (expandable) always handy,and my trusty oxford expert rucksack also expandable,really comfy and great for work and touring plus i got a large boot under my seat!! depends what you need Smilethumbs

Tank bags are good. I do have one of those and it has been a godsend.I have a basic packing list that I try and keep to as much as possible. i do tend to forget something vital such as a sleeping bag sometimes though.

@Janiew650 wrote:
@dick65 wrote:

Tank bags are good. I do have one of those and it has been a godsend.I have a basic packing list that I try and keep to as much as possible. i do tend to forget something vital such as a sleeping bag sometimes though.
Laughingthumbs

pack only what you think you will definately need,then unpack it and loose half of it,then you should be left with what you really need !! Very Happythumbs

pack only what you think you will definately need,then unpack it and loose half of it,then you should be left with what you really need !! Very Happythumbs

Hi, thanks for that. I will take on that advice, Very Happy

Hi one way i think is good ferry from newcastle to goteborg and riding down in sweden to denmark,germany,holand and belgium and ferry back to dover thumbs

Sounds like a good trip thumbsthumbs Something I may have to try at some point, but need some panniers first thumbsthumbs (Possibly with a name on them, anyone got an ideas? foflfofl )

Givi wing rack with the givi E450 boxes or the kappa alternative boxes ( same as givi, just cheaper and possibly a bit thinner ) the givi rack is metal, were as the kappa wing rack is plastic thumbs

Sorry cant be much help, it was my first trip abroad, was supposed to be camping but bought a cheap and nasty tent so ended up in hotels, not cheap.
So best advise is get a good tent that's big enough for you and your gear. We spent the first night in a formula1 motel, cheap and basic but did the job.

@sweban wrote:
Hi one way i think is good ferry from newcastle to goteborg and riding down in sweden to denmark,germany,holand and belgium and ferry back to dover thumbs

that sounds good,newcastle not too far for me thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
@sweban wrote:

Don't forget to change your money back to old currency, they haven't gone decimal up north yet foflfoflfofl

ITCHY wrote:
@dick65 wrote:
@sweban wrote:

Don't forget to change your money back to old currency, they haven't gone decimal up north yet foflfoflfofl
Laughingfinger

ITCHY wrote:
@dick65 wrote:
@sweban wrote:

Still trade in goats and sheep I believe Very Happy

Lol...you lot are funny. You make me chuckle anyway.

The idea of going from Newcastle to Goteborg is a good one. I now have friends in that area so my plan seems to be coming together. I'm already getting excited.

Hi...probably spring time. I haven't decided yet. I don't want to go when its too hot but also don't particularly want to get too cold either.

May is good.....I now have a complication though. I have a very good friend who lives in Alsace. She wants me to visit her and her family en route. She has offered bed, food and copious amounts of wine. However it is not exactly on the way to anywhere on my route. Do I do the diversion or do another trip around France as a seperate journey????????

Janie, I'd recommend you go to Alsace. Plenty of good roads in the Vosges, lots of villages to stop & do pics & lunch (my fave two are probably Kaysersberg & Riquewihr)and be sure to visit Colmar. Smile

Ah just read your post properly Embarassed do it as a seperate trip maybe. France rules for bikes thumbs

Hiya...I don't have to do Sweden. That was just an idea as my son is a tree climber there and I met some lovely people when i went for a visit at the weekend. I just really, really want to go to Europe somewhere on my bike as I have never done it. I have a list of things to do before I'm 50 and thats top of it at the moment. My kids are all grown up and I am at such a loose end. lol...need to get out there. Very Happy

@Janiew650 wrote:
Hiya...I don't have to do Sweden. That was just an idea as my son is a tree climber there and I met some lovely people when i went for a visit at the weekend. I just really, really want to go to Europe somewhere on my bike as I have never done it. I have a list of things to do before I'm 50 and thats top of it at the moment. My kids are all grown up and I am at such a loose end. lol...need to get out there. Very Happy

Well, if you're a Eurotour virgin I'd advise keeping it simple. Ferry/tunnel from Dover, and don't get tempted to do big miles every day. A good short break which I've planned but not had the time & more importantly money for is a long weekend in the Ardennes. Not too far, nice roads/scenery, history if you're interested in WWII and a sprinkling of nice towns en route. And if you plan it right you can do 3-4 countries in one hit. Smile

Thats all good advice and much appreciated. I am on the Couch Curfing site so am going to ask about on there if anyone has a couch I can borrow. I won't have a lot of money...like I said I have kids. lol. i definitely have a place to stay at Alsace and don't mind roughing it in a tent so will have a serious look at France I think. I want to the Somme on a school trip when I was a teaching assistant. It was very beautiful and very atmospheric. Would like to see more of France. i have been to paris but it wasnt very friendly. Cool

No worse place in France than Paris IMHO. The north's a bit dull which is why I'd go across into the Ardennes/Eifel area. That said, some lovely cities not least Arras, Laon & Reims all less than 200 miles from Calais. Smile

good excuse to do more than one trip janie do some short ones first and see how you get on thumbs know what you mean about kids ive got four Smile

Good luck with the trip, i would like to come along but not sure if my bike will be built by the time you go, if you you go anywhere near the Arc De Trumpet, make sure you are wearing a full set of leathers or a suit of armour, if you have been there already you will understand what i mean,& if the roads are full, use the paths like the moped riding Frenchys do

You should come anyway...I have AA recovery for Europe. Lol. Driving through Paris is something best left to the French me thinks. I went there once and was terrified. What bike are you building????

Make sure you have bike specific travel insurance, some travel policicies exclude bikes,
Dover to Calais return is about £46.00. Last year we rode down to Geneva, stopped on a campsite on Lake Geneva, fantastic (3 days to get there, lost a bit of time to a puncture and also hangovers!). every town in France has a Municipal camp site, these are generally well run and clean showers and toilets, only cost about 5 euros a night.Spent a lot of time riding so this year we did Calais again then pitched up at Arques about 35 miles from Calais, spent three nights there so did a few rideouts from base. Rode over to Normandy and made camp at Bayeaux, municipal site again, for a few days then headed back to Arques a day before ferry return so nice and fresh for ride home. I've got a 2 man tent, lightweight, wraps up to the size of a sleeping bag. Got it from Decathalon, £80 so not cheap but worth spending the money. If on a budget do your own cooking,biggest expense is foosd and drink, single stove ring and bottle will cost about £15

Andy, thank you very much for that info. I'm writing all these suggestions down and my trip is now coming together. I am definitely just going to do France this time now as I have at least a couple of nights free accommodation in Alsace. I have heard that there is a bikers only hostel in Belgium not far from the ferry port. Have you or anyone else you know been there or heard of it? I thought I would aim for there on the way back to get a good nights sleep before home.

if you plan a route and want some nice roads check your route on google earth we found some luverly twisty roads by doing this
a realy great route through the black forest

If you want good roads buy the Michelin maps and look for roads with a green line next to them. Never fails.