Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardH

big road trip

I've been looking at doing a fair size road trip, as the better half doent do bikes, i had this great idea of sending her off to a hotel for a week and then driving there and back,
Great plan, she's happy with it, so started to have a look at costs.
One week all inclusive in Croatia £500ish, petrol ONLY for trip £500ish plus still need to eat and sleep somewhere, and get ferries just dont make sense.I reckon all told it would be £800 to £1000 just for me.

Probably about right mate, last time I did a lap of Spain it cost me well over 2K Sad

I was doing a damage limitation job, she gets her holiday and I get a bike trip, with a wench half way Twisted Evilthumbs

Also weather would be just a tadge better

reckon the weather would swing it rich,alan should be able to give you some pointers m8 thumbsthumbs

@dick65 wrote:
how about a coastal tour of the uk?

know someone who used to do this for a cancer charity.

people join and ride for sections, and some join the whole thing does it in a week or two i think.

if you want me to find out who it is ill try for ya rich. the forum did clolse down but could track him

Three of my favourite words-big road trip. thumbs Wish I could do more. Don't hire a bike on site, that's cheating. It wouldn't then be a Big Road Trip after all Laughing I'm afraid it doesn't come cheap though, but you can do a decent trip without extending the mortgage. France, Germany, the Low Countries are all withing easy reach. Do it mate thumbs

Yep, I'm with previous two posters. Autoroute blast for a day or two (I know some good places for o/night stops) hit the Pyrenees/Languedoc/Roussillon. It's ****ing heaven mate thumbsthumbs

I'd like to go back and have a play in Northern Spain (sort of above Lerida, so N260 and Pyrenees) or somewhere East of Lyon and go and mooch around the Alps, but to me the 'getting there' bit is no longer any fun at all. In fact, if I ever went there again with the bike, I'd more than likely chuck the 2 or 3 bikes in the van and get there in that.

Get the Santander ferry Macie. Awesome ship gets you Plymouth -Santander in 20 hrs. I'm going on it in June, doing the N-260 on the way to our flat in Spain. Can't wait Very Happy