Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jimmywiz

Going End can crazy

Right im confused about the legality of end cans and the like - some say it has to have a E mark and a BSAU stamp but the MOT book thingy mabob where all the MOT testers read from sais this -

A silencer that is in such a condition or is of such a type that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition.

B. A silencer marked ‘NOT FOR ROAD USE’, ‘TRACK USE ONLY’ or similar words.

So there is no mention of E marks or BSAU stamps -

i need to know the writen law cos i dont want to be on a bike and be scared by the cops everytime i see them - im looking at getting a dan moto for my hornet and then getting an egravers to engrave a E stamp on to it if i have to LOL

dont get a dan moto if you want to pass a mot without pissing around with a stock can. However!!! if it has no markings to say road legal OR not for road use then 9/10 your ok, as it is up to the tester. I had a set of tiny GP cans that were um.. LOUD? with no stamps, passed fine with just a note of "noisy cans" and the same thing with a set of e-marked very loud cans ( currently fitted on my zed ) All bikes are different though, for instance, my CBR 600F 2011 has a cat and a mid silencer but the end can is just a Y peice of titanium made by mivv that they call a exhaust ( its a straight pipe ) and its quieter than a pair of fully baffled cans on the zed ( which has no cats or mid silencing ) thumbs

as for whats legal the police and the mot tester sing from 2 different hym sheats

The mot tester can pass something that the police can give you a ticket for bit of a grey area

get one thats stamped if you want to stay on the right side of the law thumbs

It *used* to have to be 'e' marked, but that is no longer the case - as long as it doesn't say "race use only" or somesuch then it's not a straight fail cf:MOT guide thingy however the same guide gives scope for a failure if "A silencer which is such a type that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer" which probably accounts for most aftermarket cans! [1]. Out of the 3 different MOT testers I have used this year a grand total of 'none' used nor had a decibel meter, so their view of loud is rather subjective.

As others have said, plod take a slightly different view, which IME varies greatly depending on incident and officer - some are quite OK unless they nab you riding like a censored whereas sometimes just being part of a 'group pull' in a Welsh A5 laybye can get them checking with your insurance co that you have declared the modification shake finger

[1] Example: Kawasaki ZX6R J2, standard downpipes, @0.5m/7000 RPM with the following cans:

Standard 90 dB
Micron Beta 92.2 dB
Scorpion Race 94.2 dB
Quill (no baffle, but stubbied a bit) - 96.5 dB (passed last MOT with this)
Leo Vinci Ti (stubbied, but with baffle & packing) - 106.4 dB

To give you some idea what noise leval your cans putting out you can get an app on your Android moby, sound meter, works preety well.