Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maveric

Callling any electrician in UK with a little question.

Some of you now that i work as a elektrician in Sweden Smile .

And most of my time i'm are at a company that makes cooler elements for the industries and bigger office, .AIA and they are sending a cooler to UK.
I now that the ruels are not exactly the same as in Sweden, So my question is that we are connecting the fan motors with cabel and glands from UK. But in Sweden we got a separate wire in the cable for the earth, but this cabel only have a armour that regarding the manual chrimps in the gland not a separate connection to the motors chassi. so how do you do in UK regarding the earth connection on the motor scratch .

PS. its a farly big Motor infact 10 of them DS.

Cheers Maveric with a spark Laughing

Hi Maveric,
I am retired from the Machine Tools now, but I assume you are talking about three phase motors but in any case single phase are the same wiring arrangement over here, the motor is earthed via its connection board not on its body externally but is internally,
the cable used is armoured type carring three lives and the earth for the three phase (4 wires)
or on single phase one live one neutral and an earth (three wires) all armoured with a gland fitted to the connection box on the motor.
I think that is what you mean to ask, Hope this helps.
Keith

@oslin06 wrote:
Hi Maveric,
I am retired from the Machine Tools now, but I assume you are talking about three phase motors but in any case single phase are the same wiring arrangement over here, the motor is earthed via its connection board not on its body externally but is internally,
the cable used is armoured type carring three lives and the earth for the three phase (4 wires)
or on single phase one live one neutral and an earth (three wires) all armoured with a gland fitted to the connection box on the motor.
Keith

Well I don't know about anyone else but I'm impressed! applausethumbsthumbs

@oslin06 wrote:
Hi Maveric,
Keith

Well I don't know about anyone else but I'm impressed! applausethumbsthumbs
yes agree good that some one could answer

@maveric wrote:

And most of my time i'm are at a company that makes cooler elements for the industries and bigger office, .AIA and they are sending a cooler to UK.
I now that the ruels are not exactly the same as in Sweden, So my question is that we are connecting the fan motors with cabel and glands from UK. But in Sweden we got a separate wire in the cable for the earth, but this cabel only have a armour that regarding the manual chrimps in the gland not a separate connection to the motors chassi. so how do you do in UK regarding the earth connection on the motor scratch .

if the cable to the motors (3phase)only has 3 conductors and your having to use the armour as an earth conductor it must only be used as a secondary earth and it must be solidly bonded to earth through the glands at both ends, additionally you must provide a dedicated cpc (circuit protection conductor) of sufficient size to carry any fault current that may appear on it externally to the swa and bonded at the motor and the supply end. we have quite strict regulations in the uk, 17th edition IEE regulations and they publish a hand book to help sparkies interpret the regs, so I would recommend you research our regs on earthing, we use PME over here which basically means all metalwork must be permanently bonded to earth and we have to test earth loop impedance and test r1+r2 resistance on cpc's to ensure low resistance

@Neill wrote:
@maveric wrote:

if the cable to the motors (3phase)only has 3 conductors and your having to use the armour as an earth conductor it must only be used as a secondary earth and it must be solidly bonded to earth through the glands at both ends, additionally you must provide a dedicated cpc (circuit protection conductor) of sufficient size to carry any fault current that may appear on it externally to the swa and bonded at the motor and the supply end. we have quite strict regulations in the uk, 17th edition IEE regulations and they publish a hand book to help sparkies interpret the regs, so I would recommend you research our regs on earthing, we use PME over here which basically means all metalwork must be permanently bonded to earth and we have to test earth loop impedance and test r1+r2 resistance on cpc's to ensure low resistance

First of all thanks for all awnsers have certanly cleared up some issues thumbs .

In Sweden you always have to connect a cable with a separate wire for earth + armour if you have a cable with armour.
As for loop impedance we do that too.
But as cooler company where very unsure and i know the Swedish ruels but not the UK ones i thought it was best to check with fellow sparkies in UK thumbs .

Cheers Maveric