Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obalanga

amateur fork seal change tips

hi all, i will have to change fork oil seals on my suzuki 125. After utilising you tube tutorials I realise i may have to use a jack which I do not have. I have a rear paddock stand and working in a confined yard space. Any one have any tips on how to get round the jacking of the bike and are there any parts you would recommend changing whilst the forks are asunder??

Have you got anything up above that you can tie the bars to or two walls you could rest a scaffold pole across.

you not got a center stand? if so put it on that, get someone to lean on the back of the bike and put some bricks under the engine/headers once the wheel comes off it will tilt back on its own weight Smile

Block of wood and a couple of scissor jacks on the frame rails or peg mounts (must Know 2 people with cars just borrow their scissor jacks) just check condition of dust seal and spring length also take care fitting the new seal if the stanchions are pitted but all should be fine.........have fun! thumbs 

sweet. I have sorted the jack problem. My local mechanic has said I can borrow his over the weekend. Bet suzuki plc would never have done that. Do I absolutely need a seal driver to make sure the seals seat properly or is there another way round that monkey as well?

you don't need a seal driver,you can use a socket
that's is the same diameter as the seals but be carefull

or use a piece of plastic pipe like what comes from ya kitchen sink Smile thumbs 

How did you get on with the fork seal change obalanga, everything sorted now?

no I haven't yet. I thought with the sun out I may as well have another ride out in case I cocked the seal change up and grounded the bike. So I went out to kelder water and a certain alter ego convinced me to lug my unfit 20 stone frame round the lake ( 26 miles). Adding to that a 8 hour round trip , I am the one that has been grounded. Crawling to the bathroom now and again I haven't done much since but I will do it on friday and report back.

hi all, any one got tips on how to remove the damper rod nut if i do not have that special tool? I have the 8mm allen that goes in at the bottom

@obalanga wrote:
hi all, any one got tips on how to remove the damper rod nut if i do not have that special tool? I have the 8mm allen that goes in at the bottom

if its a nut socket and long extension

or leave the fork built up and take the allen key out first sometimes the pressure of the spring will stop it spinning,but have some one to help holding the fork with you

on the z 650 haynes manual said to use tool number xyzabc357 or failing that to sharpen a broom handle and knock it down the fork leg ; the broom handle worked for me and the allen bolt unscrewed first time mind you me mother wasnt too happy at the time this was in 1979 tho thumbs 

thanks all for the tips. I managed to complete my fork seal change. With the missus gone to wales the kitchen became a makeshift garage. I had to improvise and I bumped into a neat damper rod nut removal tip if you don't have the tools. That is to use a 1 inch box section to hold the damper rod in place preferably in a vice and an allen key on the other end. I think i should mention the forum as drriders.com this is the link
http://drriders.com/topic5617.html

@obalanga wrote:
thanks all for the tips. I managed to complete my fork seal change. With the missus gone to wales the kitchen became a makeshift garage. I had to improvise and I bumped into a neat damper rod nut removal tip if you don't have the tools. That is to use a 1 inch box section to hold the damper rod in place preferably in a vice and an allen key on the other end. I think i should mention the forum as drriders.com   this is the link  
http://drriders.com/topic5617.html

Congratulations on sorting your fork seals  Obalanga  party  and good tip with the box section to hold the damper rod bolt. thumbs  thumbs

pleased you fettled them m8 another skill learned thumbs