Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fr499y

Tyres - This is a new one for me!

Can't say i've had this happen before on a motorcycle tyre, I know it was getting low and needing to be changed soon ( just about on the wear bands ) But got to work this morning to see this!! tyre was fine last night and when I left. Got a 15 mile journey home and not looking forward to it at all!! Its like this, every 4-5 inch around the tyre!

that looks like its de laminating to me, I would take it back to where you got it from they might replace it and send it back to the manufacturer

just a thought is it a bubble or is it wear?

well after the ride home, i counted at least 10 bubbles in the tyre. The tyre was on the bike when i bought it in february and from what i can work out its a bloody old tyre!

if I were you I would bin it and get a new one ASAP, if the tread comes off at speed it could get a bit messy.

Don't worry, the bike came straight home from work and is now parked up in the garage, wont be using it till i get a new set ( i don't do singles and i wont touch part worn's ) tyre was fine this morning, so it was a case of getting home and putting it away.

I had something "similar" on a set of Battleaxes on my 1200 a few years ago. The centre of the front tyre started to lift around the tread pattern. It didn't bubble or such, it was as if the centre of the tyre had expanded. Don't know why, possibly over-inflation? Took it off and out a new one on. thumbs   Sounds the best thing to do in this situation.

i know you say you dont do part worns matt but what about where you bought the bike or the previous owner Shocked 

i know you say you dont do part worns matt but what about where you bought the bike or the previous owner Shocked 

Yeah, not sure but seems odd that the previous owner went for a conti on the front and a bridgestone on the back. Mixing models of tyre is fine to me as long as its a softer compound on front IF different to the rear, but not mixing makes. Might bite the bullet and get a set of maxxis supermaxx fitted in the morning then take the bike for a 200 mile run to scrub them in. Either that or order a set of Avon Storm 2 Ultra. Either way i'm looking at £200 ish the pair fitted censored 

those tyres look older than you!

well nearly.

if i need a pair of tyres on the bandit theyre the ones ill fit .got battleaxes on at present time though and theyre fine thumbs 

my mate rides a harley rocker c and put it in for a service last week £218 then they phoned to say it had a nail in the back tyre and harley dont repair tyres ;it cost him another £250 for a back tyre Shocked 

Age should be on the side of the tyre.
Week and year.

I have a couple of old ones on one of mine
but you wouldn't know from riding.

if the tyre is older than the bike matt you might have a case against the dealer

If I remember right its 4 digits in a oval ring , so if it reads 2212 the first 2 digits are the week number within the year. So the 22 is the 22nd week out of the 52 weeks in the year and the the last 2 digits are the year.

Yep, i did look a while back when i first got the bike and im sure it says **03 which would mean the tyre is infact, a year older than the bike ( unless the bike was made in 03 on a 04 plate? )

Don't worry about 1 year,
That's quite normal.

The original B-King was a 2008 model
but many (mine) were built ready in 2007.

If I bought a 2013 bike I'd expect the original  tyres to be 2012.

Dont go by the bikes model date, go by its build date,
I wouldn't expect tyres to be more than a year before that.  

Having said that....
Seen several suppliers selling tyres that are a few years old.
Would be quite easy to buy a new bike and wear the tyres out
and be fitting older tyres than the originals.

Shocked Shocked never seen a bike tyre do that
good job you check ya bikes over matt

good news! got a set of avon storm 2 ultras fitted this morning.. Bad news, f****ng screwdriver in it on the way home from skeggy! 200 miles and that happens. Good thing is, it went in the tread, not down through the tyre!!

@fr499y wrote:
good news! got a set of avon storm 2 ultras fitted this morning.. Bad news, f****ng screwdriver in it on the way home from skeggy! 200 miles and that happens. Good thing is, it went in the tread, not down through the tyre!!

Have people on this forum broke mirrors or something  affraid   affraid   affraid   affraid 

Everyone seems to be having problems/ incidents. Hopefully not me tomorrow  thumbs   thumbs