Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dick65

K&N air filter query

thinking of trying one in the ACE but reading the blurb it says older carbed bikes might need some adjustment due to higher air flow - now I don't want to start fiddling with the carbs as the bike runs spot on and I don't want to shell out for one if it's gonna run shyte- can anyone throw some light on this - cheers scratch

I have them in both of my Rf and did not need to do any adjustment on the carbs , at all ,i do think the bike runs a bit better with it in , and never buy one again works for me , my orange one is stock , but the green one does have a stage on kit dyna coils , advancer etc ,

@madsod wrote:
I have them in both of my Rf and did not need to do any adjustment on the carbs , at all ,i do think the bike runs a bit better with it in , and never buy one again works for me ,  my orange one is stock , but the green one does have a stage on kit dyna coils ,  advancer etc ,  
cheers garry - the Ace is a 97 stock model using genuine Yamaha filters I recently dumped the exup as the headers were goosed and fitted stainless headers but kept the stock end can and the bike runs better now and I was thinking a K&N air filter might improve things more , I might give it a go thumbs 

I put a K&N panel filter in the Bandit Dick and it ran terrible, very erratic idle and flat spots thumb down could be that running my Scorpion can without baffles and a free flowing air filter was   to much without re-jetting, one or the other would probably have been fine anyway don't let me put you off mate, may work well on the ACE thumbsthumbs 

our old ace ran without the exup and stock filter, with the K&N it didn't seem to run right, was boggy and sounded like it was firing on 3 even though it was on all 4. But then again, our ace did need a lot of work!!

cheers folks wish I knew someone with an Ace running a K&N but there like hens teeth around here confused
I have the original end can on so I might be lucky thumbs 

if anything dick its going to lean it out so you will probably need to raise your needles and maybe richen the pilot screws a bit.

@madcarper wrote:
if anything dick its going to lean it out so you will probably need to raise your needles and maybe richen the pilot screws a bit.

thanks ian - think I need to look into this further thumbs thumbs 

Don't think ya will get a 100% definite answer dick
some bikes will run ok without doing anything else
others wont

If it aint broke don't fix it thumbs 

@lee wrote:
Don't think ya will get a 100% definite answer dick
some bikes will run ok without doing anything else
others wont

If it aint broke don't fix it thumbs 

you could be right there lee thumbs might just stick to oem till I figure things out thumbs 

I all so ran my Bandit with a panel filter ran like a sack of shiyt.
Fitted one to the XS11 along with a set of ZR1200 carbs and free flow jardine exhaust and it pulls like a full on beast !

It will prob weaken the mixture, might not be noticable low to mid but it will be significantly weaker in the high range... and thats where the damage is done running high revs on a weak mixture.
A stage 1 kit will complement the filter and prob add a few ponies too. thumbs