Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fr499y

2006 DRZ 400 SM

Thought i would post it here as there are a few things being done to the bike, plus a make over in the works.

Sooo the basics!

Its a 2006 Suzuki DRZ 400 SM Supermoto ( surely SM in this case should be sluggish motorcycle? ). When i purchased the bike last month it has 2200 miles on the clock, one owner from new who just happened to be a work colleague of my dads.

The bike has a full stainless steel viper exhaust, 3x3 mod and a JD jet kit. This is a James Dean jet kit, not the Dyno Jet kit, which comes with tapered needles, about 7 jets and 2 different needles depending on where in the world you ride.

I'm running 160 main, 45 pilot, 3rd clip on blue needle ( colder climates ) 2.5 turns on the mixture, 3x3 mod on the airbox and a uni filter.

Next step is to make a new end can as this one was repacked  when i got it but the sleeve is cracked, discoloured and scratched to shite. I'm going for VERY high temp packing material ( same stuff i used on my old KTM 950 SM ) which can withstand 1000+*C so should hold up nicely to this single thumper, a carbon sleeve, looking to match the original size so will be roughly 410-420mm.
The internal core of the can will be left at 2"  and if all goes to plan, a nice titanium outlet in a dep/pro circuit style.

Oh and it might end up being bright yellow Laughing 

Pictures to follow! thumbs

seem to remember there was a little problem with the DRZ that might be worth looking into, they used to put a steel spacer behind the gearbox sprocket and as it corroded it destroyed the oil seal, easily sorted with a stainless replacement, unless they sorted it out at the factory.

least youll never need a front tyre, saying that my mates just lost his licence from wheeling a drz lol!

was that on the earlier E or S models though with the spacer? I know they have problems with the de-comp and cam chain adjuster. Not sure if i'm going to do anything with them unless its vital. Got my swingarm and fork bobbins on forgot to mention that bit lol