Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilinjack

Finally gone heated grips

Having decided I'll be keeping my VFR for some time to come, I ordered some heated grips the other day, half price from Sportsbikeshop. I've fitted them but not utterly tidied the wiring etc, just to try them out. Impressive, fitted in 45 minutes, got the original grips off in one piece thumbs. Got a battery saver mode which can detect if the grips are on and the engine isn't and turns them off, so shouldn't be any flat battery issues. Get pretty warm, see what they're like on the move on a cold morning. Smile

Been up the Peak District today, around 100 miles, temp 3-4 degrees. Got to say they've made this kind of ride far more tolerable. Just got to try them at speed and sustained distance which is where I need them most, really. Smile

Heated grips and hand guards is a combination I won't be without.

Marks just fitted some Oxford Hotgrips to his Busa last weekend must admit im very impressed, get very toasty. thumbsthumbs

I recently worked out my bikes horn becomes "live" when the ignition is on. Obviously gets to sound by the button giving it earth. I ran a relay switched by the horn to feed my accessories (wasn't sure about overloading the horns feed) now any accessories are only fed when the ignition is on. Stops me being a dumb-arse and leaving stuff powered up and draining the battery.

I'm piss-poor at electrics but it seems to be working.

most new heated grips will turn off when power drops below a certain amount. Never had any issues with grips wired straight to battery. Even on a bike with a old had it battery.

@fr499y wrote:
most new heated grips will turn off when power drops below a certain amount. Never had any issues with grips wired straight to battery. Even on a bike with a old had it battery.

These do. Controller can deduce when the engine is off because of the change in electrical noise. After about 20 seconds they turn themselves off. It works too. thumbs

As mike said i got the Oxford grips and they have a voltage drop sensor. But ive fitted a relay with an inline fuse wired to the ignition so they will never get left on.