Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lara

How to deal with the information you receive through the gift of discernement?

I've been told based on the experiences I've described to others that I have the gift of discernment. I've been able to sense things on a certain level ever since I got saved. 2 years ago I went to a conference that was really spiritually refreshing and it was like if the gift went off the charts. I started perceiving things at a higher level. I enquired about it and was told I had a prophetic anointing. Whether I fully believe this is another story but the point is that just by looking at people sometimes I see beyond what is there in the physical. It's like I can see the spirit behind the person or their true intentions. Lately it has become a bit more focused and a little less scattered. When I say scattered I mean I used to be sensing all alot of things but didn't know where they were coming from. I still don't know the source of everything but some things are crystal clear.

Some weeks ago I stayed with a someone who is taking the same program at the university while I was looking for a new place to live. It was very challenging for me for various reasons but while I was there I was picked up on alot of negative things in the atmosphere coming off individuals even though they were all christians. I had to share a bed with my friend (female) and one night I overheard her praying and it was like if after a while her stress and whatever started to transfer onto me.

I even saw by looking at her that there was some kind of spirit afflicting her body. It was like if I could see something on her. After I left her appartment, it took me a while to shake the negative stuff that had tried to latch on to me. For a while after I left her place I didn't want to be around her since I felt weirded out about being in someone's personal space and knowing stuff about them I wouldn't have known otherwise.

A couple of days ago I spoke to her for a while and I started sensing all of the spiritual stuff surrounding her life. She is a christian but it's like I was sensing that there is battle surrounding her life. I sensed all of this evil surrounding her like a cloud. And clarity came as to why I'd felt the way I did at the appartment. She was also sick that day. Once again I felt like if stuff was trying to transfer so I don't want to get to close to her. But what do I do with this information? The obvious answer is to pray. But how do I pray when I don't even know the source of what is bothering her? DO I tell her what I picked up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lara wrote:
DO I tell her what I picked up?

My short answer is, "No."

So many believers are going to be at different places in their faith, and even if they are friends or family, it's usually not helpful to tell them the things that you see. If you see something encouraging and feel released to share it, then by all means. If someone comes to you with a problem and asks you if you see anything, then sharing may be more appropriate - but, even then, I would use wisdom.

You already said it, but I believe that the primary purpose for this gifting is to be praying for others. And, to be honest, I wouldn't expect to have a conversation with whomever you prayed for regarding the things you've seen. They were revealed to you for a purpose.

On a practical side, if someone comes to you asking for prayer for something that you've already seen, you could confirm the issue by saying that you felt/saw that this was the case and have been praying for it, and then take the opportunity to pray with them at that moment. In this way, you're giving them confirmation, and you're encouraging them by letting them know that you've prayed and are willing to pray in that moment.

Lara wrote:
But how do I pray when I don't even know the source of what is bothering her?

The answer to this will be more and more obvious to you the more experiences you have walking in this gift. While I said above that the main purpose for this gift is to be praying for others, there's actually a purpose that's more important than that: This gift is for you and your relationship with God. It's going to keep you looking at him, seeking him for direction and wisdom. Out of that, he'll lead you in what to say, how to pray, when - and when not - to take action. Like Mary and Martha with Jesus: Relationship, first, and then the work. So, seek him on whatever you see or feel, and follow his leading in each situation. You'll grow in the gifting as you do, which is more than just the seeing and feeling - that growth is also in the application.

Blessings,
-Mark

TheWhiteShadow wrote:
Lara wrote:
DO I tell her what I picked up?

My short answer is, "No."

So many believers are going to be at different places in their faith, and even if they are friends or family, it's usually not helpful to tell them the things that you see. If you see something encouraging and feel released to share it, then by all means. If someone comes to you with a problem and asks you if you see anything, then sharing may be more appropriate - but, even then, I would use wisdom.

You already said it, but I believe that the primary purpose for this gifting is to be praying for others. And, to be honest, I wouldn't expect to have a conversation with whomever you prayed for regarding the things you've seen. They were revealed to you for a purpose.

On a practical side, if someone comes to you asking for prayer for something that you've already seen, you could confirm the issue by saying that you felt/saw that this was the case and have been praying for it, and then take the opportunity to pray with them at that moment. In this way, you're giving them confirmation, and you're encouraging them by letting them know that you've prayed and are willing to pray in that moment.

Lara wrote:
But how do I pray when I don't even know the source of what is bothering her?

The answer to this will be more and more obvious to you the more experiences you have walking in this gift. While I said above that the main purpose for this gift is to be praying for others, there's actually a purpose that's more important than that: This gift is for you and your relationship with God. It's going to keep you looking at him, seeking him for direction and wisdom. Out of that, he'll lead you in what to say, how to pray, when - and when not - to take action. Like Mary and Martha with Jesus: Relationship, first, and then the work. So, seek him on whatever you see or feel, and follow his leading in each situation. You'll grow in the gifting as you do, which is more than just the seeing and feeling - that growth is also in the application.

Blessings,
-Mark

EXCELLENT Response Mark!!

The one thing I've learned in prophetic training is that prophetic gifts are 90% prayer and 10% prophecy. A prophet is an intercessor FIRST. Like Mark said, you were shown those things to intercede for your friend. If God releases you to tell her, then by all means do so, but I would say that he showed it to you so you could pray freedom into her life. Ask God to open your eyes to see when the prayers over her have manifested. That's a whole different side of discernment. We can easily see when things are wrong, but to be able to see them when the shift has taken place is a different place. Ask for it...He will give it to you!

Blessings

Thank you so much for the advice. It brings a lot of clarity and saves me from making a complete fool of myself. (I don't want to be one of those people who creep others out.)