Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiddly Winks

Alert the media

Okay, you Twilight obsessors, I have decided to try and get the first film on DVD and watch it. I will say straight up, of the three books I read, the first one was the best, but that is it was only okay and nothing to write home about. If I like the film, I will keep it in my DVD collection, if I don't, I will resell it on Ebay.

But either way, I will review it like I did with Avatar.

Is that a good compromise from a non-fan? Laughing Here's hoping.

Let me know if its any good, thinking about getting it to watch myself from all the things people have said on here, although i must admit its only a thought right now lol. Its not that i think i wont like it but im not a massive film fan

I liked it and think I like the 2nd movie better. 1st book was liked better and 2nd movie liked better....I am just never pleased lol

I am curious to see how the 3rd movie turns out...3rd book was hmmm to me lol

I watched the first film simply for something to watch while ironing at my Mums.

I had the twilight book on my bookshelf for months prior to this yet it never really appealed to me. Vampire stories were never my thing Sad I have to say by the time I had finished the ironing I was sat totaly engrosed which is very unlike me as I am not a fan of tv/films at all.

It is not a particularily fast moving film, and it is not necessarily an action packed film, so if this is the sort of film you are after you will be dissapointed...yet I still found myself absoloutely mesmorised by it, the simplicity of it was what had me hooked.

I loved the second film, I think a lot of that was to do with the fact that I already loved the characters and couldnt wait to see what happened to them.

I then read the books (not like me to ever not read the book first lol) and I loved being able to get all the extra details that didnt make it into the film congratulations as well as getting to know all the characters better

I really hope you do enjoy it

I hope I do too. Someone told me that it was not exactly like the book, so I think that may be in the film's favor. One of my best friends said the guy who played Carlisle (my personal favorite character from the book) was a really good actor and that she had seen him in other stuff.

I am not going into this with any expectations, but if I like the first one, who knows I might watch the second. Now that I figured out what my feelings are (since they were pretty much all over the place) about the books, I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised.

But, all the same, don't look for a Twilight avatar by my name. You guys have definitely sparked my curiousity about this film. Smile

I hope you do like it hun, but if you dont then thats ok too congratulations x
it is possible to like a film and hate the book e.g. i HATE the lord of the ring books but i love the films

i agree with gaia on that! I also have to admit that looooong before the film i had the first book.. I have read only the first chapter and then i had to close it to sleep... It was a bad year for me then so i couldn't read it again and then the film came out.. I didn't liked it... But i have to admit that from that first chapter i wanted to read more! That doesn't change my opinion but i have to say that it's not bad! Mostly i'm irritated by the fact that they have altered the myths and i LOVE those myths! But I'm sure that at some point i'll see all the movies. If not for anything else then so i can form a better opinion! I may find it interesting in the end... Don't get your hopes up but

Okay, I have seen the movie, so here's my thoughts about it. I liked it a lot better than the book. The control drama issue that somehow dominated things in the book was not really evident, perhaps a screenwriting choice (a very good one, IMO). I suppose if I had seen the movie first, then the I would probably not have had such harsh issues with the overall storyline. Basically, I thought that it was a pretty good movie, and I will probably get the second film and watch it when it goes on sale here (Husband without work and all). The basic issue was how well they managed to detract away from that control drama. Edward's concern for Bella was more balanced and realistic in the film than it was in the book and I have to give the film makers a thumbs up for the film not being a complete carbon copy of the book. I think that was an issue that some readers have when books become movies. Usually the movies are not as good as the books, but in the case of Twilight, I have to say the movie outshines the book.

Yes, as people told me, the film did sort of drag a little, but having read the book, it did the same during the first several chapters. I kept watching and when Edward started his sparkling bit, I started to laugh. I couldn't help it, that whole sparkly vampire thing was just too funny to be real. He looked like someone dumped twenty tons of glitter on him. My other issue with the film was how dark it looked. The entire movie looked like it was filmed in the interrogating room of a police department or something. The dark blue hues made everyone, even Jacob and his dad, look like vampires. They needed more balance with the colors, because even though it was probably intentionally done like that, I am not a fan of those effects.

That complaint aside, I think the overall film was alright. I was surprised to see Michael Welch in it. He played in Joan of Arcadia several years back, and it surprised me beyond belief that he was in this film. He's a good young actor, and I am still trying to figure out who specifically he played, because I can't remember.

I think I like this is the guy the best. Smile He was my favorite in the book, and in the movie, he was fantastic. I know, he was considered a 'minor' character, but I really thought he was great, the acting was really good, and his portrayal of the character was great. I always liked Carlisle in the book, he was very well rounded and the fact that he was a doctor was rather ironic, but still the actor did a great job. My friend who told me about this guy was right, he was good.

I thought Alice was good in the film too. I didn't imagine her having short hair, but somehow it worked. She was funny and quirky and sort of how I imagined the character to be. The other vampire characters were also good, although I cannot remember all their names. I also couldn't get over how Charlie was so well cast for the role as Bella's father. Truly a good choice, and some of his lines and actions were just funny. I think he had some of the best mannerisms I had seen, especially just before formally meeting Edward, and what he did with the rifle. That was good.

So, in essence the movie was pretty good, not my favorite movie of all time, but it was entertaining enough. For now, it will not be a film that I will sell off on Ebay. I think I may, before the smoke clears, watch it again. Sometimes I do get more out of a film watching it the second or third time. At least it was interesting enough to entice me to watch it a second time. I am pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it, but still not what one would call a diehard fan.

I am pleased that you like it Smile even if you had hated it, it still would have been ok Smile you will enjoy the second one too i hope, i look forward to reading your review Smile

I am now looking forward to seeing the second one. I liked the way the movie people handled it. Someone told me that the screenplay was written by someone other than Stephanie Meyer, which is perhaps why I like the movie over the book.

Hard call, but pleasant surprises are my favorites.

ahhh tiddly! i really enjoyed reading your review and actually agree with most of it myself!

i don't know if you remember (or care to know hee hee) but the scenes where bella and edward are in the restaurant together in port angeles and also the scene where bella get's bitten by james and edward is standing over bella while she is in agony -- the music playing in the background is actually rob patz (edward). the guy who plays edward in the movie is also a singer/song writer and that is his music congratulations

Tiddly Winks wrote:
wow, now I am officially impressed. He really is good. Do you know if he has a cd out?

sorry, i just saw this post.
no, he doesn't have his own cd out but the twilight soundtrack has both those songs on it.
as for his other music, you can find them on youtube.

his voice is so good!! he sounds tragic most of the time though hee hee.

did you by any chance watch new moon too?