Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bee1

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella

Published on SM website (stepheniemeyer.com) on 30 March 2010

Surprise!

I have a new book coming out. It's called The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Well, it's more of a novella than an actual book—my version of a short story.

Actually, this has been a surprise to me, too. The reason why it's a surprise was that I never intended to publish this story as a stand-alone book. I began this story a long time ago—before Twilight was even released. Back then I was just editing Eclipse, and in the thick of my vampire world. I was thinking a lot about the newborns, imagining their side of the story, and one thing led to another. I started writing from Bree's perspective about those final days, and what it was like to be a newborn.

This story was something that I worked on off and on for a while, just for fun, in between the times I was writing or editing other Twilight novels. Later, when the concept for The Twilight Saga: The Official Guide came up, I thought that might be a good place for Bree. Her story is a nice complement to Eclipse; it explains a lot of the things that Bella never knew. So I dusted it off and finished it up for placement in the Guide.

At the same time, it came in handy for the Eclipse film. Melissa (Rosenberg, the screenwriter) had a ton of questions about what exactly was going on in Seattle, how Victoria managed things, what Riley was like, etc. I let her read what I had then, and later gave the whole thing to the director, David Slade. David asked if Xavier, Bryce, and Jodelle (Riley, Victoria, and Bree) could read it as well, so all the parties involved would end up having a really strong foundation for their characters before the cameras started rolling. I was pleased that this side of the story would make it into the film and was looking forward to including it in the Guide.

Then I got the news: my "short story" was nearly 200 pages long when typeset. It was too long to fit into the Guide—without ending up with a tome as heavy as the Oxford English Dictionary. My publisher approached me with the idea of releasing the Bree story on its own. One of the major benefits of this plan was that it would be out before the movie, so people would get to know Bree before they saw her in the film. That made sense to me, and we decided to go ahead with it.

There was one thing I asked for: since this story had always been an extra for me, and was meant to be released with the Guide, I wanted to be able to offer it to my fans for free. You all have bought a ton of my books, and I wanted to give you this story as a gift. My publisher was awesome and embraced this idea. We still wanted to also produce a physical book with a cool cover (see below) that you can add to your set if you like, but starting at noon on June 7th until July 5th, it will also be available online at(breetanner.com).

One other aspect of this release is the plan to give a more important gift to people who really need it. One dollar of each book purchased in the US from the first printing will be donated to the American Red Cross for their relief efforts in Haiti and Chile and other parts of the world where people are in great need. We're going to have an option online as well, so you can choose to make a donation if you want when you read the story online. I hope you will. I think that we can really help a lot of people with this.

I really hope you all enjoy this story. I had a blast writing it. I'm glad that after all this time cooling her heels in my files, Bree finally gets her chance to shine.

Thanks for all the support,

Steph

yeah i saw this too and thought it very interesting that SM picked out bree tanner to write about out of all her characters. can't wait to pick it up to read. hope it's good!

Ok the hardback is out now (yes I have seen it shops yesterday) and the on-line version should be available from noon today (just don't know by which country's time they are going to publish it).

I can't wait to read it!!!

it's out now and you can read it for free right now online on SM's site!!

i know what you mean! i'm the same way.
but for now i'm going to read it online and see if i like it. i'm sure it'll be good!!

ok, i'm back from running errands and picked this up while i was out. congratulations
i figured i'm going to get it no matter what and it was on sale and part of the money goes to the red cross (according to the sticker on the book) so i just got it.
will let ya gals know how it is.

Ive just bought it today for £4.38 from my work congratulations im sure its worth the money and i cant wait to read it tonight congratulations

oh yay, you got it too!

i finished reading it this morning. it's a really fast read cuz the book is so short.

i have to say, if you're a twilight fan (and if you are reading this thread i'm pretty sure you are), this book is definitely worth a read! poor little bree and her second life!

i don't want to say too much cuz i don't want to give anything away, but i really enjoyed reading it. it was hard for me to put down last night and when it was over, i was sad that she died and wished they had spared her life!!

Smorkle you just gave it away hee hee congratulations
I would have bought it when i went shopping but i didnt see it until the i was on my way out Sad
Still havent read twilight yet Sad

silly! you need to go out and get the saga and read it right away!!
lol jk
i think even though you haven't read twilight or any of the other books, you can still read this one. it's pretty good. plus you can read it on SMs site for FREE so you don't have to spend a penny...what's your currency.....oh, a pound on it!! LOL!!

Ill have a look in the morning, its too late for me now congratulations
Im going to get all the books at some time in the future Laughing
And yes its the pound

ive read half of it so far, i will read the other half when i come home from the gym congratulations but so far IM LOVING THE STORY, and ive got a whole new view of the newborns

I have so far only read the first chapter but I have seen the book in Tesco on monday. It's a hard back and looks exactly like the picture posted. It's not as thick as twilight books are but it's not "book" as such.

ive just finished reading it and im stunned, it was amazing to read from the newborns point of view. I feel sorry for Bree and what she went through and ive gained a huge respect for her.

Noooooooooooooooo!
I shouldn't have come back here yet!
I have not finished reading it yet

I know the end!
I'm about half way thorough and I was hoping she will have at least little bit something with Diego - well there is always hope - the book is not over yet (for me) but so far I'm liking it

Gaiamaiden wrote:
ive just finished reading it and im stunned, it was amazing to read from the newborns point of view. I feel sorry for Bree and what she went through and ive gained a huge respect for her.

yeah, i felt sorry for her to. i almost felt like i wished she didn't die in the end.

Bee wrote:
I know the end!
I'm about half way thorough and I was hoping she will have at least little bit something with Diego - well there is always hope - the book is not over yet (for me) but so far I'm liking it

me too, i wish there was more with diego and her too. maybe someone in twilighted will make up a story about what would have happened if the book didn't end the way it did. i can always hope!

Gaiamaiden wrote:

smorkle wrote:

yeah, i felt sorry for her to. i almost felt like i wished she didn't die in the end.

me too, i wish there was more with diego and her too. maybe someone in twilighted will make up a story about what would have happened if the book didn't end the way it did. i can always hope!

I have now finished it

I must agree with you girls
And yes I too hope that someone in Twilighted will write happy ending love story between Bree and Diego.

I have to say I also liked Fred and he too deserves his own story - it would be interesting to know what happend to him after he parted company with the newborn army and waited for Bree who never turned up Sad

whats ur opinion guys should i read it??????????????what is about????????

esperia wrote:

have you read Eclipse? if yes than I would say read it.

It gives you better understanding of newborns.
Read the first post of this topic - you get all the information there.

I've read it and I like it. It's bitter sweet story

read all books

i will this book is available only in english ?????????no translations???????????

You can read it for free for limited time on website
breetanner.com - that's in english (it's short book only 180 pages).

There is actual book also available in shop (well in USA and UK) but I don't know if it's been translated it to other languages.

The book was only published on 5 June 2010 so it's very new.

Sorry I can't help you any more as I really don't know.

Thanks for the info Bee
I am quite curious to read this story, but will have to wait until -yes- finals are over :-) Or maybe I can read bits and pieces when I take a break :p

Bee wrote:

I have to say I also liked Fred and he too deserves his own story - it would be interesting to know what happend to him after he parted company with the newborn army and waited for Bree who never turned up Sad

i agree! fred was very interesting too and i would love to read that as well!!

esperia wrote:

for sure, read it!

Toulouse wrote:
Thanks for the info Bee
I am quite curious to read this story, but will have to wait until -yes- finals are over :-) Or maybe I can read bits and pieces when I take a break :p

you are going to really enjoy it. good luck with your finals!!

I have just read it and really enjoyed it...my only critisim would be that it is too short lol

I really felt for Bree, it was fantastic to read things from her point of view. I so wanted a happy ever after for her and Diego even though I already knew what would happen to her.

I would love S M to write about Fred, he was a very interesting character with a very unique gift!

Definately something I would recommend reading

lea75 wrote:
I have just read it and really enjoyed it...my only critisim would be that it is too short lol

I really felt for Bree, it was fantastic to read things from her point of view. I so wanted a happy ever after for her and Diego even though I already knew what would happen to her.

I would love S M to write about Fred, he was a very interesting character with a very unique gift!

Definately something I would recommend reading

i agree!!! i really hope someone from twilighted writes a story about her and or fred! they are really interesting characters!

I find myself thinking about Fred while reading Eclipse, i keep thinking, "I wonder where he is at this point?" lol