Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiddly Winks

To react or not to react

This is more or less about amateur (fan fiction writing) than anything else, but on the 17th I posted a story on the fan fiction page, and about five days later, someone else posted a story with almost the same theme.

I know that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but this stumped me. I opened the story and started reading it, and I saw bits and pieces of my own story in this person's writing. It really upset me. The fact that my story was my absolute first Cat Returns story, I feel as though something was sort of taken away from me.

What do you think? Am I overreacting? I mean; it is fan fiction, but the fact that so many small details were taken just makes me want to scream. The people who reviewed the story were very nice, but now even those have tapered off to nothing since this person posted, so I am feeling a little bit down about it.

Thoughts would be appreciated. I know that I should not get worked up about it, but yet, there is something inside of me that is and I can't help it.

Well, I don't know what to say.. but maybe you should try asking that person why does he copied your story...
Even it is just an Amateur fan fiction writing, your story is yours.
It is your property.

The way you feel is just pretty normal. After all something personal has been stole from you..

I was thinking about just posting a general ho hum review of it. They actually used German in the story, which also surprised me since I'm from Germany (not originally), but used a German name in the story. It may just be me, because I am rather sensitive about my work, but still, it just struck me as weird because five days after I posted mine, this person posted theirs, and I read the story and thought, hey some of these things were parallel to mine.

Since it is fan fiction, I figure that it would be wrong of me to react; but still, I do feel a bit stepped on. Sad They didn't copy the story word for word, but they did take aspects of mine and put it in theirs.

Here's what I noticed, the way the story was set up was similar to mine, but the plot was a little different. They used German songs, which I guess they copied from Google, and I have no issue with it, but why German? The situation with the girl's mother being trapped at the airport by the weather was exactly the same as with mine. I had initially thought about using another premise, a character death, but later decided against it because it was too depressing. Also, after the idea hit, I read another story by another writer where they had used that particular premise. So, out of respect for them, I changed it to this, and then it was copied anyway. Maybe it was coincidence, but I think that this was just seemed a tad bit too coincidental.

If I say something to her, then I run the risk of losing my audience, which I don't want to do, since I just started writing in this verse. But, something doesn't seem right with it, and it really does bother me since I put so much effort into the story.

If it bothers you then you really should say something. Is there any way of sending this other writer a private message, that way you are not making an issue publically

I can understand how frustrated you must be, to spend your time writing something you are proud of, just to have someone write another story off your ideas

I'm not going to bother with it. To be honest, it's really not that big a deal. It's just bothersome since it was the first story I wrote. But, I will just start writing a multi chapter story, and see what happens. If she copies that, then I'll know something is up, and consider reporting her.

That was good thing to do... I really like the way you think Yvette, staying cool at a situation like this, if this were to happen on me you bet I will be boiling mad and will be super upset.

I just wish that it will be a mere coincidence ( how I wish that they didn't really copied some..) to have some common ideas on both writers...

But, I am wishing you luck for your next story..

Thanks. Smile I guess it's an issue of acting my age and not letting them get me down. I did get a few lovely reviews, and I'm really psyched about doing the multichapter story. I will be fun, because I have a really neat idea. Smile

React.. If he/she has actuall posts from you or if it's really close to you make a complain to the forum manager and comment on this post for people to read you story.

But that's my opinion..

Let us now how it went.. Btw.. have you contacted the person that copied you?

No, I haven't reacted, but if any of my friends do, maybe it would have more an impact than if I complain. I just say, let people read both stories, and see for themselves if there was a lot copied.

Definitely react!!!!!!!!!!!! Report her for plagiarism (is that the sp.?) Drop her anonymous reviews asking why she copied the story (putting in a link for the original) ...flame her wall haha...If it were me, I'd be plotting some revenge plan and carrying it out
But you are full of grace! Wow, I admire you for the way you you dealt with everything.