Find results in...
Guest Guest

"4 Letter Word"

Guest Guest

New music Excited

Remember this thread contains SPOILERS Wink

Correct lyrics per cd iner:

"4 Letter Word"
(David Cook / Claude Kelly / Matt Squire)

Hold your tongue, hold it tight
Or we'll be destined to fall like the sun did tonight.
Leave it out, 'cause it might
Take the both of us down before we get it right.

Oh I know just what you're thinking,
But if we ever let it go

I see us slipping away,
Starting to fade
Crumblin' down til we both hit the ground
You know if we never say, we'll never crash & burn,
'Cause love is a 4 letter word.

Looking back, now I see
Saying just how we feel causes such misery
All I want is to keep
This moment alive between you and me.
And I know just what you're thinking
But if we ever let it go

I see us slipping away,
Starting to fade

I'm afraid I'm losing all that we had now
(A four letter word)
It could all get ruined if it's ever said out loud.

Slipping away,
Starting to fade

I see us slipping away,
Starting to fade

Does anyone want to help with the lyrics, please?

Hold your tongue
Hold it tight
Or we will be destined to fall
Like the sun did tonight
Leave it out
Cause you mind (?)
Take them both of us down
Before we get it right

Oh, I know just what you're thinking
But if we ever let it go

I see it sliping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down (?)
'Til we both hit the ground
You know if we never say
We'll never crash and burn
'Cause love is a 4 letter word

Looking back
Now I see
Saying just how you feel
Caused such misery
All I want is to keep
This moment alive
Between you and me

But if we ever let it go

I see it sliping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down (?)
You know if we never say

I'm afraid of losing all
That we have now
A 4 letter word
It could all get ruined
If it's ever said out loud

Sliping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down (?)
You know if we never say

I see it sliping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down (?)
You know if we never say

Guest Guest
I bet this is the second single.

Guest Guest

I like the song, though I think there are others in the record much better than this one. Run

Guest Guest

Not my favorite either, although several listens through it's grown on me a bit from my first listen.

I would not be surprised to see them release this as a single, simply because it (a) does sound like it might fit in with what is being played and (b) the singles usually aren't my favorites. LOL Face

It wouldn't be my choice though, that's for sure. Run

Guest Guest
Great Mae. Just some minor differences I hear.

Hold your tongue
Hold it tight
Like the sun did tonight
Leave it out
'Cause it might
Before we get it right

But if we ever let it go

I see it slipping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down
You know if we never say

Looking back
Now I see
Saying just how we feel
'cause it's such misery
All I want is to keep
This moment alive
Between you and me

But if we ever let it go

I see it slipping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down
You know if we never say

I'm afraid of losing all
That we have now
A 4 letter word
It could all get ruined

Slipping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down
You know if we never say

I see it slipping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down
You know if we never say

My only doubt is if the phrase is
"I see it slipping away" OR
"I see us slipping away"

Guest Guest

Made, That's exactly why I said it will be the next single LOL flag

Haha, I agree with Barb. I bet this is second single Razz

But even though it's also my least favorite, I can see it be a movie soundtrack.

Guest Guest
This is what I hear:

Hold your tongue
Hold it tight
Like the sun did tonight
Leave it out
Cause IT MIGHT
Before we get it right

But if we ever let it go

I see YOU sliping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down
You know if we never say

Looking back
Now I see
Saying just how you feel
Caused such misery
All I want is to keep
This moment alive
Between you and me

But if we ever let it go

I see YOU sliping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down
You know if we never say

I'm afraid of losing all
That we have now
A 4 letter word
It could all get ruined

Sliping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down
You know if we never say

I see YOU sliping away
Starting to fade
Crumbling down
You know if we never say

thoughts on this???

Guest Guest

Yeah, could be "I see you slipping away" or I see us..." scratch

Well, hope we'll know when the album is out Wink

I actually REALLY relate to this one...no, it's not GTTG or REM/Circadian, but I listened to this and immediately thought of my ex. Love was the '4 Letter Word' that literally made our relationship 'crash and burn'.

Of course, all I can think now is...is LOVE the four letter word he means, or is this like a fill in the blank, like 'love is a _ _ _ _.' That's been spinning around my head all day! LOL Face

Guest Guest
LOL Face that's a great thought!

BTW, I'm still mesmerized by your siggy Thud

I think that it's one of my lesser favorites from the album, but yet still so ridiculously good. I mean really, it might not be my favorite or the best on the record, but it's still above pretty much everything played on the radio lol

I ddn't like this song at first, but with repeated listens, now it is reminding me of 'Don't say a word'. There is something deeper than the those simple lyrics I think. I might be wrong, but I think he is saying it's better if they haven't said the word LOVE because it brings misery???

Like a lot of others this is ky least favorite song. But I think its because I don't understand the meaning behind it. What are your guys' thoughts on the meaning behind it?

I feel like it has a vague similarity to Lie, in the sense that if you leave things unsaid, then it's not "real" and has no chance to destroy you.

Guest Guest
I agree with that. Also the idea of you'll "jinx" it if you say it... that superstitious idea that when you acknowledge something it will fall apart.

I too see the similarities to Lie and Don't Say a Word. And that it's kinda supstitious. Like how you don't say the weather right now is perfect for the show/game/etc. for fear of jinxing it. It's a fear song. You want something so bad you don't want to ruin it by saying it aloud. It's also a very romantic notion - that if you say it aloud, you'll lose the magic that seems like maybe it's only there because it's unspoken. You don't want to do anything that might burst that magic bubble. Feeling like you're on top of the world but insecure and thinking it can only go downhill from here. It's also very pessimistic, especially the second verse.

I can't help, if this song is interpreted in romantic love terms, but want to shake him and yell, "Tell her!" lol. Because if the love is slipping away, it's surely not because one or the other is on the verge of saying it. It's because they don't! If he doesn't tell her he has feelings for her, she's naturally going to think that he doesn't, or that he isn't capable of opening himself to it at this time, and drift away rather than hold on to something he, in his silence, makes appear hopeless.

Let go, Dave! Lol.

Anyway, was just going to pop in to say this song is really growing on me. And an interesting changing point in the album - it's a kind of regression. It's an immature approach to this dream relationship. And I think he recognizes it and it's very purposeful that the song following it is Goodbye to the Girl. And while musically it is maybe not as rich as some of the other songs, lyrically it does fit in with the themes of the album with slipping away and fading and falling and hitting the ground.

Guest Guest
It's sort of growing on me too. It's still not one of my favorites though. My initial reaction was that I didn't like it at all. Now I find it compelling in an odd way.

Guest Guest

Maybe a guilty pleasure? LOL flag

Guest Guest
LOL flag Could be!

Guest Guest
I'm sorry but I just can't get past "love is a 4 letter word"! Really, David!?!?!

Yea see that's the part I don't get. Yes love is a 4 letter word.... what point are you trying to make....?

Guest Guest
"4 letter word" is a saying people have used for years to indicate a curse/swear word. Sometimes I will use the saying if I'm posting on a forum that does not allow swearing.... example: Oh (insert favorite 4 letter word here) my car broke down again. Here I would just type "Oh shit my car broke down again".

By using that saying I believe David is trying to show that LOVE is a word that can be considered a curse at times.

I was thinking about it on my drive home from work tonight and that is exactly what I was thinking about. It was almost like it just randomly occurred to me, like an epiphany. Anyways it makes a lot more sense now.

I'm actually surprised by how much I don't hate this song, LOL. I think I might even like it! I'll admit I was prejudiced against it before I even heard it, because it was a co-write with Mr. "Party in the USA". But it's growing on me, and I can totally see it being released as a single.

justforme wrote:

By using that saying I believe David is trying to show that LOVE is a word that can be considered a curse at times.

that is exactly what i got out of the song. i like this song a lot! Smile

Claude Kelly is actually a really good writer and has written a lot of good songs.... even though he did write "party in the USA" not one of his strong points, haha.

This song is slowly starting to grow on me. The more I listen to it the more I like it... which I think is the same for all of the other songs on the album too.

I still hate the opening tune but everything else is growing on me too. Didn't think I'd wake up humming the song but it actually happened once Very Happy

Claude Kelly is actually a really good writer and has written a lot of good songs.... even though he did write "party in the USA" not one of his strong points, haha.

Yes, I've probably judged him unfairly. I'm sure that "Party in the USA" was a product of knowing that he was writing for vapid teen queen Miley Cyrus, and that he's got an arsenal of better songs out there.... "4 Letter Word" being one of them.

I have a strong feeling this song live will be awesome .... just like "I did it for you" ... guitar riffs.... guitar jams... Mega Rock
I cannot wait to see them performing at the upcoming tour !!! Excited2

Guest Guest
It will be interesting to see how this sounds live. IDIFY was definitely not among my favorites from DCTR, but ended up being one of my favorites live. This song is still my least favorite on TLM, so I'm curious to see if, like IDIFY, it translates live into something I really like.

Jeannie wrote:
It will be interesting to see how this sounds live. IDIFY was definitely not among my favorites from DCTR, but ended up being one of my favorites live. This song is still my least favorite on TLM, so I'm curious to see if, like IDIFY, it translates live into something I really like.

IDIFY also was definitely not among my favorites from DCTR ... but all changed when I saw the live version... and was gifted with a very special performance at the show I went to... love plode

Guest Guest
Hope this one translates to a great live performance... though as I've said a million times I just can't get past the "love is a 4 letter word" lyric, lol. I totally get it can be sarcastic or have a second meaning like. "love" can also be a "curse word/feeling" but I think it's too subtle an interpretation for most of people to get, KWIM?

Actually, I think that the phrase "4 Letter Word" carries with it a connotation of "bad word", so I don't think anything about the lyrics will be lost on anyone.

Guest Guest
I agree, dorothy. That's the common interpretation of the phrase here, so I doubt the meaning will be lost on anyone.

I think the title "plays" with the duality of being in LOVE and the double meaning of the sentence - 4 letter word - the word "LOVE" has four letters but LOVE (the feeling) can sometimes be a "curse word/feeling"...

But I think the lyrics has some beautiful parts like this

"I see us slipping away,
Starting to fade
You know if we never say, we'll never crash & burn...
...I'm afraid I'm losing all that we had now..."

As I foresaw ... This song LIVE is a BLAST !!! AWESOME !!! Mega Rock

I just wanted to bring over to here something that I pointed out in the "Paper Heart" thread. There I was recently discussing how PH fits between TLG and 4LW in terms of the whole album being loosely based on a relationship playing out its course in a night of dreaming, as David has said it is.

I find it really interesting that the lyrics in the chorus are
You know if we never say, we'll never crash & burn
The lyrics are NOT "if we never say it" (meaning the 4-letter word, love). If you sing the song in your head, you can almost hear the "it" there - I found myself singing it in my head and adding the "it." But it's not there. He's not singing that saying the 4-letter word would cause them to crash & burn. He's saying if they ever say... anything, it will fall apart.

Sometimes I wonder if David writes such amazing lyrics because he has such trouble saying anything directly to a girl, to anyone for that matter, that he saves it all up inside and it almost only ever comes out as his lyrics. I think this song is about more than just the fear one has about saying "I love you" to someone for the first time, the fear of it not being returned. I think on one level, it is about that. But on another it's about his feeling like words only ever mess up a relationship. Maybe because he feels like he can't say the right thing at the right time. (And in the case of this song, that she messes everything up with words at least as much as he does.) Which... I would really hope for his sake he gets over someday. But then I wonder would he then have trouble writing lyrics?