Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stue11

Been offerd promotion

Ive worked for Ats Euromaster now for 18years qualified in every aspect of my job thanks to all the courses they send you on, ive been told that the assistant centre manager is moving to another branch and they would like me to fill his shoes behind the desk, ive unaficially done the job before but didnt get the extra 5grand a year to boot, so your all thinking whats to discuss, well is the extra 5grand a year worth all the extra pressure, is money everything..no... but a part of me thinks im not getting any younger and wouldn't mind a bit of promotion, i was brought up in a large family, i was raised by my farthers side of the family, all hard working class, on the other hand my mams side never had to worry about money as they have an endless pit of it, but being raised by my grampy and dad made me realise one vital lesson, moneys helpful but your health is worth more thumbs sorry to go on, just had to get this off me chest and share with everyone, give us your opinions on what you would do thumbs

Tough one mate, seen plenty go for it and regret it due to family pressure, but only you know the ins and outs of your family, great to have the opportunity though, hope it comes good for you

I quit a £30k a year job complete with Audi A6 in 2002 as it would probably have ended my marriage and/or killed me. Sometimes these days I regret it-I've never been so broke as I am ATM, but in my more lucid moments I'm in no doubt I did the right thing. The only way you'll know though is to do it-your call Smile

Naaaa Money is sod all they will burn you out,Look what you have now every thing and a ghost thrown in for nowt,
Its a tough one only you will decide any doubt in your mind leave it,IMHO Regards Gaz

stu think carfully this is aN ASSISTANT MANAGERS position which could
mean crap from both sides, aim higher or do what makes you content at work
you spend a lot of time there
good luck

Guest Guest

You've done it before but not got paid for it... so what's the issue? You can do the job right? You want to do the job yeah? So take the promotion, enjoy the money and I'm sure you and your missus can come to an arrangement about the changes it will have on your family. If it gets too much, then cross that bridge when you come to it.

At this time when there are sod all jobs about and not many promotions going, you'd be nuts to turn it down mate. Go for it. If all else fails, you will always know you at least gave it a go. thumbs

I tyred to get off the kit and was a site manager for 6 years, new car, bupa etc, I had up to 200 people on site at any one time , But i found myself being sick in the middle of nite with worry , i packed it in one weekend just like that, and the next week was laying bricks again , when i look back they was the worst 6 years of my life Sad

tough one stue.as said, only you know whats best for you and your family.hope whichever choice you make works out for you

The worst thing about management is the bloody H&S responsibilities , bloody risk assesments and safe working procedures for this and that, then there is the training and ensuring they continue to do it right , just one short cut by the employees that leads to an accident is a bloody worry, employees have to be treated as kids as common sense never comes into it any more....I can't even relax when i'm away on summer holiday in case something happens , the stress is unbelievable, I've been very close to just walking but can't do that the way jobs are at the moment.
The job itself is a peice of piss and can do it with my eyes closed having been with my present employer 18 years but I hate it and wish they would make me redundant so i can retrain with the redundancy money.
Given the chance again I would not have taken promotion as its not worth the hassle, money or upset it causes during my homelife.

Guest Guest
Well you have to break it down, its only about 280 a month after NI and Tax. So thats 70 quid a week or based on a 37 hr week an extra 1.89 per hour on top of you now hourly rate. You have to ask yourself for the agrevation you will get, is 70 quid a week worth it? (Check the firgures out yourself though).

Your right though, you would be more comfortable, possibly in the warm more and be able to look after yourself a bit more.

Then again I've been in situations when I've had less money and I was much more happier than I am now!!

Its a Tuff one Stue but well done on being so good at your job they have offered you a promotion and you also have to take into account that in this difficult times you've been offered a promotion when others are losing their jobs.

@jezza wrote:
The worst thing about management is the bloody H&S responsibilities , bloody risk assesments and safe working procedures for this and that, then there is the training and ensuring they continue to do it right , just one short cut by the employees that leads to an accident is a bloody worry, employees have to be treated as kids as common sense never comes into it any more....I can't even relax when i'm away on summer holiday in case something happens , the stress is unbelievable, I've been very close to just walking but can't do that the way jobs are at the moment.
The job itself is a peice of piss and can do it with my eyes closed having been with my present employer 18 years but I hate it and wish they would make me redundant so i can retrain with the redundancy money.
Given the chance again I would not have taken promotion as its not worth the hassle, money or upset it causes during my homelife.

well said Jezza, Icouldn't put it better than that thumbs

Only you know how you handle preasure be honest with yourself.
(Interview yourself for the job and be honest would you give you the job).

asst manager 2Ic (second in command) Is the worst job as you do get shit fom both ends.

1=Do you want the job for extra money ?
2= to massage your ego fancy job title etc ?
3= because it's a great job more interesting something you would really relish and enjoy ?

If answer is yes to (3 )GO FOR IT thumbs

whats the manager like is he/she a good guy you have a good working relationship with or a knob head that will drop you in it to save their own job.

Good luck with what you decide.
New year new career.
Or be carefull what you wish for.

yeah it a tough decision the extra money would be good but is it worth the hassle? if youre happy where you are id stay there i had the same sort of hassle years back so i just walked and set up on my own so im only answerble to myself ive also got a great work/life balance i can see its bothering you and its good to air things and get pointers but in the end only you can decide .i hope things work out for you whatever you choose to do.

Guest Guest

Grumpyowl - good points, well presented. Agree thumbs

Well guys and gals im over the moon with all the time everyones took to reply to this post, ive got til next friday to decide, theyve put no pressure on me either way which is good and i respect them for that.
Most of my family have had mixed opinions many of them matching whats been posted on here, my family life is stress free ive never let anything bother me too much lifes to short, im still 50/50 on the decision allthough i did tell Itchy last night in chat room i was going to go for it, i'd had a couple Laughing once again thanks for all your replies on such a personall matter, ile keep this post ongoing as the week goes by thumbsthumbsthumbs

Rose wrote:
Well you have to break it down, its only about 280 a month after NI and Tax. So thats 70 quid a week or based on a 37 hr week an extra 1.89 per hour on top of you now hourly rate. You have to ask yourself for the agrevation you will get, is 70 quid a week worth it? (Check the firgures out yourself though).

Your right though, you would be more comfortable, possibly in the warm more and be able to look after yourself a bit more.

Then again I've been in situations when I've had less money and I was much more happier than I am now!!

Its a Tuff one Stue but well done on being so good at your job they have offered you a promotion and you also have to take into account that in this difficult times you've been offered a promotion when others are losing their jobs.
Thanks Rose for taking the time to work that out for me thumbs

@jezza wrote:
Very true Jezza H&s is a nightmare even as a fitter thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
I tyred to get off the kit and was a site manager for 6 years, new car, bupa etc, I had up to 200 people on site at any one time , But i found myself being sick in the middle of nite with worry , i packed it in one weekend just like that, and the next week was laying bricks again , when i look back they was the worst 6 years of my life Sad
Bloodyhell Dave that must have been awful, thankgod you left thumbs

@Neill wrote:
stu think carfully this is aN ASSISTANT MANAGERS position which could
mean crap from both sides, aim higher or do what makes you content at work
you spend a lot of time there
good luck
Very true it was one of the very first things i'd thought about thumbs

@XS1100 wrote:
Naaaa Money is sod all they will burn you out,Look what you have now every thing and a ghost thrown in for nowt,
Its a tough one only you will decide any doubt in your mind leave it,IMHO Regards Gaz
Thanks Gaz lol

NoZ wrote:
You've done it before but not got paid for it... so what's the issue? You can do the job right? You want to do the job yeah? So take the promotion, enjoy the money and I'm sure you and your missus can come to an arrangement about the changes it will have on your family. If it gets too much, then cross that bridge when you come to it.

At this time when there are sod all jobs about and not many promotions going, you'd be nuts to turn it down mate. Go for it. If all else fails, you will always know you at least gave it a go. thumbs
Very true Noz thumbs

@Grumpyowl wrote:
Only you know how you handle preasure be honest with yourself.
(Interview yourself for the job and be honest would you give you the job).

asst manager 2Ic (second in command) Is the worst job as you do get shit fom both ends.

3= because it's a great job more interesting something you would really relish and enjoy ?

whats the manager like is he/she a good guy you have a good working relationship with or a knob head that will drop you in it to save their own job.

New year new career.
Thanks Grumpy, its between 1 & 3 def not 2, brilliant way of putting it thanks.

Good luck with your decision but i would seriously sit down and write out the pro's and cons of the job money stress and time you would have to commit to the job thumbs

what ever you decide stue,good luck with it all

cant really comment,never had the chance to be in that situation and to be honest I dont want to

aslong as me bills are paid, ive roof over me head, and food in the cupboard,good health Im happy thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
Ive worked for Ats Euromaster now for 18years qualified in every aspect of my job thanks to all the courses they send you on, ive been told that the assistant centre manager is moving to another branch and they would like me to fill his shoes behind the desk, ive unaficially done the job before but didnt get the extra 5grand a year to boot, so your all thinking whats to discuss, well is the extra 5grand a year worth all the extra pressure, is money everything..no... but a part of me thinks im not getting any younger and wouldn't mind a bit of promotion, i was brought up in a large family, i was raised by my farthers side of the family, all hard working class, on the other hand my mams side never had to worry about money as they have an endless pit of it, but being raised by my grampy and dad made me realise one vital lesson, moneys helpful but your health is worth more thumbs sorry to go on, just had to get this off me chest and share with everyone, give us your opinions on what you would do thumbs

Ok in short do you what to do it?

If you like what you do and you think you can keep doing it keep at it however; if you want the change and you think you can do it go for it!

Tell you bosses the truth say you’re not sure, but you are very VERY interested in the opportunity, and see if you can do it for a month or so.

It never hurts to be honest.

E Goldstein “They are watching you” Suspect

I have worked for shit loads of money and also for shit money (one year it cost me more to work away from home than I made) but I loved my job and that carried me through...

But in the back of my mind was that I cant do this job when 60

So, one last question to ask yourself is...

Would I be better off in a nice warmish office or scratting around in a cold open workshop in 15 years time... Which will be worse for your health, stress or arthritus??

Good luck whatever!!

@Whitsy wrote:
I have worked for shit loads of money and also for shit money (one year it cost me more to work away from home than I made) but I loved my job and that carried me through...

But in the back of my mind was that I cant do this job when 60

So, one last question to ask yourself is...

Would I be better off in a nice warmish office or scratting around in a cold open workshop in 15 years time... Which will be worse for your health, stress or arthritus??

Good luck whatever!!
Would I be better off in a nice warmish office or scratting around in a cold open workshop in 15 years time... Which will be worse for your health, stress or arthritus?? my thought exactly.

@Stue11 wrote:

Ok in short do you what to do it?

If you like what you do and you think you can keep doing it keep at it however; if you want the change and you think you can do it go for it!

Tell you bosses the truth say you’re not sure, but you are very VERY interested in the opportunity, and see if you can do it for a month or so.

It never hurts to be honest.

E Goldstein “They are watching you” Suspect
Tell you bosses the truth say you’re not sure, but you are very VERY interested in the opportunity, and see if you can do it for a month or so. Thats exactly what ive said, ive got til next friday to decide and discuss, thanks thumbs

in the one word post you described yourself as happy so why risk being unhappy
Could turn out to be true Very Happy thanks. thumbs

@suzukijax wrote:
Good luck with your decision but i would seriously sit down and write out the pro's and cons of the job money stress and time you would have to commit to the job thumbs
Thanks thumbs

@Grumpyowl wrote:

New year new career.

Wise words from someone who's obviously been there.

I used to be a senior exec for a massive electrical goods retailer (spits) & part of my job was one of the nursemaids for the fastrack graduate managers. I have a particular dislike for anyone doing a job for the first 2 reasons.

As for shit coming from both ends, it comes from above, below, front & back as well m8, it's how you handle the shit that can make or break you.

Never "tell" a colleague to do something, ask them, there's a HUGE differance in that approach. If it doesn't get done, or for any other issue, take them to one side & privately ask them "what's their problem".

Be firm but be fair, people respecting you is 99.9% of the job.

Customers aren't always right, I'm famous in my old job for putting customers right often quite bluntly, no one's paid to be insulted, shouted at etc etc.
Similarly, they aren't paying you to be ripped off, lied to, insulted etc etc.

Be firm but be fair, people respecting you is 99.9% of the job.

As for going for it, it's better to have tried something which you may later regret than to not try something which you will always regret.

Go for it, you wouldn't be up for it if someone didn't think you worthy.