Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
always1more

It's been a strange one today vavles and carbs + extras.

Started earlier today, you will get the idea off the times on the pictures mind you I gave up after I sorted the valve clearences.

Took my time as you do thought I'd be done around 3pm...infact it was 16.45pm Surprised

It's been a bit strange though I'll explain in a sec. Took the tank off bla bla de fuckin bla lol.....Took the Valve cover off no problemmo then started to check the gaps..

Most of them had too much gap with a few that where too tight, not fuckin one was correct so just goe's to show they suggest checking them yearly like I've just done Very Happy

Anyway set all the intake's to 0.13mm and the exhaust to 0.20mm

No probs took me time, next time though I'll have the special tool for the job, cos using the spanner and pliers is a bit hit and miss sometimes as you can have the gap too tight or not enough matron.

Right I'll move on.....Got the cover back on and all fastened up then it took me an age to think of something to use for a wee small petrol tank lol...Anyway I found a bottle I had full of oil so spent 10 minutes cleaning that out and then filled it with petrol from the tank.

Fixed that to the petrol line that should be connected to the tank.
Got my guages out and fitted them ready. Fired the bike up, started 1st time and sounded fine the needles on my carb sync all over the place....after some pissing about set the dampers so the needles where steady, synced carbs 3&4 then 1&2 then 1&2 to 3&4 all the time giving it a sharp right hand of throttle.

Let the gauges settle now this is where my fun is beginning to start. After each turn of them pozzy screw that you have a job getting to to adjust...I gave it some right throttle and let her settle down. When I gave it bags of throttle it sounded rough as f**k I thought it can't be valves as I double checked them...the bike is now throttling like a bag of shit...wishing I had left her alone as the real reason for me to want to check the carbs were in sync is because the last few weeks sitting at traffic lights she runs a wee bit lumpy then sorts herself out again. Throttle and smoothness not 3 bad.

Well I carried on got all the carbs lined up and gave her some right hand...not bloody happy as I thought right she should respond no problem...naaaa sounded like I was flooding it and only running on 3 when she got to a certain rev.

Turned off and let her cool down a bit, burnt the back of my hand trying to adjust the idle...bastard design lol.

Fired her up again no probs all fine then after a couple of blip on the throttle she started to sound shit again, I thought this can't be right as everything is spot on...Only thing I could think of was I was running this on the 1ltr bottle of petrol which I was using instead of the main tank...Sod it put the tank back on and tidied up and put my gear away.

Fired her up and hey f****ng presto sounds like a superbike that is running like it should.

Gave her loads of throttle on and off..rev limiter kicking in and she sounding lovely and sweet, she's been responsive on the throttle since the last check but she seems very smooth now and very reponsive...I even did some extra little jobs like disconnecting the push pull system on the throttle cables and ran some 3in1 oil down them and set them up again, like a new bike now thumbs

Right I've had a chest infection all week and felt like shit, had nothing decent to eat in 4 days not felt too good so tonight I'm having a proper tea which is nearly ready and when I come back shortly I'll upload some pictures thumbs

Laters Very Happy

Cheers m8's thumbs

Yeah I was worrying for a short time but thought I've done everything right and dbl checked and made sure I'd not left anything in the top before I put the cover back on lol thumbs

I will tell you one thing though others might find useful.

When I took the cover off I just stood there for a short time and eyed up the cams and the condition of things, just then I noticed 1 of the dowels had fallen inside by the 3rd intake valves, carefully picked it out with a magnetic screwdriver Shocked

Ohh and I found one of the lobes on the intake camshaft was pitted slightly could have sworn it wasn't like that last year. Other than that everything else as it should be, ohh and notice how clean the area is before I put the tank back on, bloody marvellous that Paraffin, cleaned up oil the dirty cables and pipes and coils thumbs

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2106267&id=1510939298&l=85c748746f

Let me know if you can see the pictures ok ?

Taaaaaaaaaaa Smile

Pics come up fine mate, if only i had the first idea what i was looking at Very Happy

I'm getting lazy m8 in upping them to photobucket then parsing the url here and f****ng about lol.

Right I'll up them to the bucket and show them here ....1 minute thumbs

I'm getting lazy m8 in upping them to photobucket then parsing the url here and f****ng about lol.

Right I'll up them to the bucket and show them here ....1 minute thumbs
lol i know what you mean it is a pain Embarassed

Hi Tim the reason it ran rubbish with the bottle attachment was may be fuel starvation as the bottle could not breath there is no vent hole.Just a though have a nice night.you did a good job.

Thanks XS1100, for the info that would explain it then thumbs

Thank you Stu...sweban and Yankee Smile

Did anyone pick up on the slighty pitted cam lobe, seems to be running fine so I guess no harm done. I'll take a look at photoshop later and zoom in and edit the picture for better view.

great write up and excellent pics,top job mate thumbs

I noticed the pitted lobe did want to pick faults though Sad Suzuki build quilty Sad my xs as done 100,000 not a mark never had to adjust the valves clearances.

nice write up and excellent pics,

at least i know what im looking at now, hahah

Thank you Dick..and Eddie...hope they help thumbs

XS1100 it's not really bad just a few pings, I maybe got to it before it got any worse Shocked

Flippin eck you've done great there with the XS, and long may she be good to you, thats fantastic thumbs

Nice 1 Tim, u done a gud job there m8
As already said, fuel starvation due to no breather in the bottle.
Don't worry bout the pitting, I first noted pitting on a few of my cam lobs about 5 years back, last time I did the clearances the pitting was no worst and it's never effected performance. thumbs

Hiya Rob...nice to hear from you m8 thumbs

Thanks for the reasurrence, I can sleep tonight, yeah I had a gut feeling earlier today it may have been the bottle as one minute I was getting all the needles on the gauge reading the same then as soon as you open the throttle she ran rough and the gauges were reading slightly out from before.

I'll give her a blast up the coast road tomorrow, she should perform better now m8y thumbs

Forgot to add...lastnight I was getting genned up on home streaming....I could have done this today and put it live on here for the lads who are not sure how to...mind you 6 hours of live vid of me outside would bore too many lol.

Good idea though for the future if somebody needs advice on something thumbs

Yeah Rob I can talk the balls off a brass monkey so maybe not a good idea afterall lol... lol!