Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gazman

Brand new project, really old CB250 (cafe racer)

Recommended Posts

OK boys and girls. Just got home from a couple of days in Lincolnshire. I went on my own with my daughters yorkie puppy in the van and collected the 2x CB250 project bikes. Left Lincoln at 4am this morning because our little puppy was making a lot of noise and as I was up, I thought I may as well leave and get home in time to get the new projects settled in at my place. Just to get this thread started I am posting the sales pictures here as a before reference. I will be taking loads of pic's and posting info and progress every step of the way. Can't wait to get started, will post more pics later, once the bikes are off loaded.


This is the Cafe racer project




This is the restoration project which I will start straight after the cafe racer is complete


Gaz thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks good gaz, cant wait for an update. sod it just gimme your address ill come round and make a start! thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@pugeyed wrote:
looks good gaz, cant wait for an update. sod it just gimme your address ill come round and make a start! thumbs


That's fine mate, how many sugars in your tea ? thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great stuff look forward to the post thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good!I had the CJ360T and built some thing weird cost me nowt but a bit time thumbs used as an hack for a year and flogged it. Sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@XS1100 wrote:
Looks good!I had the CJ360T and built some thing weird cost me nowt but a bit time thumbs used as an hack for a year and flogged it. Sad


Sounds like good fun mate. I don't think this will be too hard a slog, compared to the Bandit project I've just finished. Don't really have to source to many new or original parts. There are bits on the other bike I can rob for the cafe racer, because they are not up to standard for the restoration project but will modify nicely for the non standard machine, all the rest off evilbay, see what I can find. Going to pay a lot of attention to the finish though, I won't want to ride it if it's shabby. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 sugars please matey, i could restore bikes all day, problem is no one would pay me to do it lol Laughing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@pugeyed wrote:
2 sugars please matey, i could restore bikes all day, problem is no one would pay me to do it lol Laughing


Im sure it won't be many days before I need some assistance with something on these old bikes. I know where to turn if I get stuck though. Very HappyVery Happythumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't look that old to me, seems like only yesterday. The ex-missus had one.



Ohh Farouk!! that was thirty years ago!! Shocked



I must admit I'd be inclined to do the resto first, then use what's left over to do the cafe racer.

Good luck Gaz.

Oh and make sure you clean out the centrifugal oil filter, the one on the ex's was full of swarf!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too, been tinkering all day, clearing space, looking at what I've got and searching for bits on, amongst others, Ebay. Keep you posted. thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@pugeyed wrote:
pics? thumbs


Sorry mate, nothings changed yet, they still look the same as the pics i've posted. I will take some fresh ones tomorrow, close up's of the rot and grime, so that you can see the current condition. Been on google quite a bit today, sourcing parts, you know ally tanks and clip ons, Oh and a leather helmet and some flying goggles. foflfoflthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you go Mark, I will definetly do more tomorrow mate.

















thumbsthumbs






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah ha! nice pics gaz .
do they run ? or have you tried to get them running yet?
some nice flames on that tank
looks like you will be busy sandblasting the cafe one ,tank might be a bit far gone?
good luck with them matey, cant wait for more pics, think im more excited than you lol Embarassed
applauseapplauseapplauseapplause

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@pugeyed wrote:
ah ha! nice pics gaz .
do they run ? or have you tried to get them running yet?
some nice flames on that tank
looks like you will be busy sandblasting the cafe one ,tank might be a bit far gone?
good luck with them matey, cant wait for more pics, think im more excited than you lol Embarassed
applauseapplauseapplauseapplause


You're Right about the cafe tank, got a spare one with the bikes though and it's got a good condition chrome filler cap with the little locking mechanism intact, result. The cafe is seized solid at the moment but the resto turns over nicely. gonna take the engine out of the cafe fairly soon in the project to try and sort it out. Thing is, I really need to construct the cafe bike fully before I paint, polish or chrome anything as there are a few modifications to the frame and other bits that will need to be done before any finishes are applied. afraid that means lots of work with not a lot to show to start with. Once it's all working and constructed, I will strip it for paint and chrome etc. I do need new rims, spokes, shockers, stanchions and header pipes for both bikes, hense do one at a time, the resto will be put away and forgotten about for a few months while I concentrate on the cafe thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thats good news about the spare tank.
here is a link to a rechroming place i use.
very good and actually "restore" the parts before they are chromed rather than just plating over the rust like other company's.

nickel is a lovely colour , got a box of stuff heading there way

http://www.marquerestore.co.uk/index.html

thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@pugeyed wrote:
thats good news about the spare tank.
here is a link to a rechroming place i use.
very good and actually "restore" the parts before they are chromed rather than just plating over the rust like other company's.

nickel is a lovely colour , got a box of stuff heading there way

http://www.marquerestore.co.uk/index.html

thumbs


Cheers for that Mark. Goes to prove these forums are a god send when you need info. I will ring them tomorrow, can't see me getting much work done this week, too busy withthe project. thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@maxnod wrote:
Doesn't look that old to me, seems like only yesterday. The ex-missus had one.



Ohh Farouk!! that was thirty years ago!! Shocked



I must admit I'd be inclined to do the resto first, then use what's left over to do the cafe racer.

Good luck Gaz.

Oh and make sure you clean out the centrifugal oil filter, the one on the ex's was full of swarf!


agree

IIRC the cam runs on an oil film (no bearings) so oil pressure is v.important...centrifugal filter fils up and stops oil flow.... thats how i siezed the top end of my 250 G5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@bonzo-b wrote:
@maxnod wrote:
Doesn't look that old to me, seems like only yesterday. The ex-missus had one.



Ohh Farouk!! that was thirty years ago!! Shocked



I must admit I'd be inclined to do the resto first, then use what's left over to do the cafe racer.

Good luck Gaz.

Oh and make sure you clean out the centrifugal oil filter, the one on the ex's was full of swarf!


agree

IIRC the cam runs on an oil film (no bearings) so oil pressure is v.important...centrifugal filter fils up and stops oil flow.... thats how i siezed the top end of my 250 G5


Oh that's worth knowing, thanks mate, I'll bare that in mind. I see your Oxford'ish area, anywhere clost to Witney by any chance
? Gaz thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Gazman wrote:
@bonzo-b wrote:
@maxnod wrote:
Doesn't look that old to me, seems like only yesterday. The ex-missus had one.



Ohh Farouk!! that was thirty years ago!! Shocked



I must admit I'd be inclined to do the resto first, then use what's left over to do the cafe racer.

Good luck Gaz.

Oh and make sure you clean out the centrifugal oil filter, the one on the ex's was full of swarf!


agree

IIRC the cam runs on an oil film (no bearings) so oil pressure is v.important...centrifugal filter fils up and stops oil flow.... thats how i siezed the top end of my 250 G5


Oh that's worth knowing, thanks mate, I'll bare that in mind. I see your Oxford'ish area, anywhere clost to Witney by any chance
? Gaz thumbsthumbs


Yes mate.... live nr wantage, work in witney Very Happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@bonzo-b wrote:
@Gazman wrote:
@bonzo-b wrote:
@maxnod wrote:
Doesn't look that old to me, seems like only yesterday. The ex-missus had one.



Ohh Farouk!! that was thirty years ago!! Shocked



I must admit I'd be inclined to do the resto first, then use what's left over to do the cafe racer.

Good luck Gaz.

Oh and make sure you clean out the centrifugal oil filter, the one on the ex's was full of swarf!


agree

IIRC the cam runs on an oil film (no bearings) so oil pressure is v.important...centrifugal filter fils up and stops oil flow.... thats how i siezed the top end of my 250 G5


Oh that's worth knowing, thanks mate, I'll bare that in mind. I see your Oxford'ish area, anywhere clost to Witney by any chance
? Gaz thumbsthumbs


Yes mate.... live nr wantage, work in witney Very Happy


Your the closest member I've found to date. I live in Minster Lovell, two miles from Witney, may have passed you out on the road. mbikethumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Gazman wrote:
@bonzo-b wrote:
@Gazman wrote:
@bonzo-b wrote:


agree

IIRC the cam runs on an oil film (no bearings) so oil pressure is v.important...centrifugal filter fils up and stops oil flow.... thats how i siezed the top end of my 250 G5


Oh that's worth knowing, thanks mate, I'll bare that in mind. I see your Oxford'ish area, anywhere clost to Witney by any chance
? Gaz thumbsthumbs


Yes mate.... live nr wantage, work in witney Very Happy


Your the closest member I've found to date. I live in Minster Lovell, two miles from Witney, may have passed you out on the road. mbikethumbsthumbs


Think Rose lives in Abingdon Very Happy
i`m ususally in a tin can (lift share), but head out minster lovell way coz i work along Range Road ... when i ride in its mainly on my bronze bandit 12, but have occasionally been known to terrorise nearby oxfordshire villages on my 750Turbo Twisted Evil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@bonzo-b wrote:
@Gazman wrote:
@bonzo-b wrote:
@Gazman wrote:


Oh that's worth knowing, thanks mate, I'll bare that in mind. I see your Oxford'ish area, anywhere clost to Witney by any chance
? Gaz thumbsthumbs


Yes mate.... live nr wantage, work in witney Very Happy


Your the closest member I've found to date. I live in Minster Lovell, two miles from Witney, may have passed you out on the road. mbikethumbsthumbs


Think Rose lives in Abingdon Very Happy
i`m ususally in a tin can (lift share), but head out minster lovell way coz i work along Range Road ... when i ride in its mainly on my bronze bandit 12, but have occasionally been known to terrorise nearby oxfordshire villages on my 750Turbo Twisted Evil


I'll keep an eye out for you mate, You don't see many bronze ones, but I really like them, especially as they are less common. I take it you know Froudy, he had a bronze one but wrote it off a couple of months ago, car pulled out in front of him I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Gazman wrote:
@bonzo-b wrote:
@Gazman wrote:
@bonzo-b wrote:


Yes mate.... live nr wantage, work in witney Very Happy


Your the closest member I've found to date. I live in Minster Lovell, two miles from Witney, may have passed you out on the road. mbikethumbsthumbs


Think Rose lives in Abingdon Very Happy
i`m ususally in a tin can (lift share), but head out minster lovell way coz i work along Range Road ... when i ride in its mainly on my bronze bandit 12, but have occasionally been known to terrorise nearby oxfordshire villages on my 750Turbo Twisted Evil


I'll keep an eye out for you mate, You don't see many bronze ones, but I really like them, especially as they are less common. I take it you know Froudy, he had a bronze one but wrote it off a couple of months ago, car pulled out in front of him I think.


yeah i`ve met steve (froudy) a coupla times (calne and afghan heroes (wooton bassett)) ... think i`m probably the only bronze left now Sad
think ryan (thumperslaw) is from witney, but i`m not 100% on that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so I've spent a couple of days researching CB250's and tracking down people to carry out various parts of the project. I was recommended a company in Coleshill, called Central wheels, who will supply new stainless or alloy rims and rebuild onto the hubs I have, once polished of course, with stainless spokes, that's a must, I'm thinking stainless all the way, save polishing too often. Also found some bits on ebay, just waiting for auctions to end etc. Then today, I couldn't contain myself any more and set about stripping the frame. Got everything off but leaving a rolling chassis for a while, until new tank and seat combo are fitted and rear sets and linkages etc. I want everything fitted nicely with new mounts before I remove the surplus mounts and lugs, then sand blasting and powdercoat. Got loads to do now though, I can fill my time stripping, sanding and polishing various items that will be reused, lovely aluminium handle bar controls will polish up a treat and engine cases, brake and clutch leavers, top yolk etc. any way hears a few pics, I know you all love pics, tell me if it's too many though and I will cut back a bit.



















































I have more pictures of the strip down but something has happened on photbucket and they are not appearing on there, I will sort the rest out tomorrow. Gaz thumbsthumbs




























































Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PHOTOS! bananabananabanana
did you struggle with any bits gaz? looking great so far, ive used central wheel before and they are very good, add a week or so to the delivery time and you wont be dissapointed.

looks like very little rust on the stuff you have got to keep which is good.
keep em coming , good luck.
Mark. applauseapplauseapplause

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to watching the progress on the work. I think a bit of jealousy on my part, would like to do it but don't have the room or skills EmbarassedEmbarassed

Good luck with it, will keep looking for the photos and progress thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@pugeyed wrote:
PHOTOS! bananabananabanana
did you struggle with any bits gaz? looking great so far, ive used central wheel before and they are very good, add a week or so to the delivery time and you wont be dissapointed.

looks like very little rust on the stuff you have got to keep which is good.
keep em coming , good luck.
Mark. applauseapplauseapplause


Hi Mark, no everything came off a treat, little squirt of WD40 on some nuts/ bolts. with regard to the rust, although both bikes are rustier than the bandit was, I still only need to do the exact same processes, with the exception of getting the wheels made and fitting new saddle and rear sets and possibly tank, can't decide whether to change the tank or not, I have 2x CB250 tanks and it's tempting to use one as the tank is going to be painted. I'll decide that when I have finished trawling through Evilbay. Not too many photo's was it ? Gaz thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Looking forward to watching the progress on the work. I think a bit of jealousy on my part, would like to do it but don't have the room or skills EmbarassedEmbarassed

Good luck with it, will keep looking for the photos and progress thumbs


Hi Mike, I really am not Proficient at this restoring lark at all. I tend to make a plan of action and stick to it rigidly, only change direction if it's essential and put the hours in, even when you don't feel like it, always do something. Theres always a small job you can do sat in a chair, clean a clock or assemble something. Give it a go mate, you really dont have to spend a fortune, although it is fun buying nice parts. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grabbed a nice little bargain off evilbay today. Spotted these rar sets for a FZR1000. They were in Oxford. went to see if they were suitable for my cafe racer project and they are ideal, gave the guy 20 quid and came home with them. Just need a couple of mods and they will work a treat. Mainly painted alloy, so just need to get the nitromores on them, a bit of sanding and a couple of hours on the buffing wheels, sweet as a nut, will go perfectly with the rest of the polished bits. Hope to get these ready for the welder along with starting my new seat unit, this weekend. I will post more pics as it happens. Gaz thumbsthumbs


First of many parts (FZR1000)rear sets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Gazman wrote:
Grabbed a nice little bargain off evilbay today. Spotted these rar sets for a FZR1000. They were in Oxford. went to see if they were suitable for my cafe racer project and they are ideal, gave the guy 20 quid and came home with them. Just need a couple of mods and they will work a treat. Mainly painted alloy, so just need to get the nitromores on them, a bit of sanding and a couple of hours on the buffing wheels, sweet as a nut, will go perfectly with the rest of the polished bits. Hope to get these ready for the welder along with starting my new seat unit, this weekend. I will post more pics as it happens. Gaz thumbsthumbs


First of many parts (FZR1000)rear sets

nice 1 no1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a really neat idea for the seat unit as well. I won't reveal anything yet, in case it doesn't work out as planned, in which case I won't mention it again. foflfofl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Gazman wrote:
Got a really neat idea for the seat unit as well. I won't reveal anything yet, in case it doesn't work out as planned, in which case I won't mention it again. foflfofl
you cant do this to us fightingVery Happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Davehutch wrote:
@Gazman wrote:
Got a really neat idea for the seat unit as well. I won't reveal anything yet, in case it doesn't work out as planned, in which case I won't mention it again. foflfofl
you cant do this to us fightingVery Happy
agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell you what then, I'll make a start on it and if it looks like it's gonna work out I will post some pics. thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Gazman wrote:
Tell you what then, I'll make a start on it and if it looks like it's gonna work out I will post some pics. thumbsthumbs
Very Happythumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Gazman wrote:
Tell you what then, I'll make a start on it and if it looks like it's gonna work out I will post some pics. thumbsthumbs


Is that what they call diplomacy? Or just covering your censoredfoflfoflfofl
I'm sure it will work, so waiting to see the pics thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@pugeyed wrote:
gaz i just couldent help myself!
/t2853-finally-a-new-project#33348 thumbs


Yes now, Well done Mark, well pleased for you mate. I've had that saved in my watch list for days and was very interested, pre a brace of cb250's. Check out http://www.dotheton.com/ forum, loads of good stuff on there if cafe's or classic japanese is your thing. Like you would say, and do regularly, pics please, lots of. Gaz thumbsthumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on the note of cafe racers , i saw this on ebay and thought i would put the link up for you

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280715771810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1259wt_1139

dont use the stainless zip ties though cus they are worse than rubbish, you cant get them tight enough.

what you want is some of these that way they dont show but are still stainless steel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikalor-BLACK-W3-Stainless-Steel-Worm-Drive-Hose-Clip-/250826389564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item80107c8738#ht_2363wt_928

thats if you want to use black exhaust wrap probably dont show so much with the natural coloured stuff.

thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did someone say polishing bananabananaLaughingLaughing

good luck with it looks like you got plenty to do,but if your bandit is anything to go bye,Im sure it will be a good rebuild thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@pugeyed wrote:
on the note of cafe racers , i saw this on ebay and thought i would put the link up for you

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280715771810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1259wt_1139

dont use the stainless zip ties though cus they are worse than rubbish, you cant get them tight enough.

what you want is some of these that way they dont show but are still stainless steel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikalor-BLACK-W3-Stainless-Steel-Worm-Drive-Hose-Clip-/250826389564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item80107c8738#ht_2363wt_928

thats if you want to use black exhaust wrap probably dont show so much with the natural coloured stuff.

thumbs


Cheers for that mark, like the look of the wrap but I am hopping to go stainless or chrome if funds will allow, you know what I'm like for a bit of bling, can't help myself. I think the black wrap looks good with black powder coated wheels but I'm hopping to stretch to new stainless rims and stainless spokes, only coz they bling. Made a few adjustments to the rear pillion peg mountings tonight and then mounted the new rear sets in the existing rear pillion peg mountings, it simplifies the whole set up and saves a little bit of weight. Just need to sort out the rear brake linkage now and that's the first mod done. Bought a universal brake/ clutch cable today to swap out the metal bar linkage, just need to figure out a neat way of routing it to the brake peddle. I'll sort out some pictures later tonight to show you. Let us know your plans for your XS850 once you've had time to decide. Nice project you got there mate. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.