Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gazman

Brand new project, really old CB250 (cafe racer)

@lee wrote:
did someone say polishing bananabananaLaughingLaughing

good luck with it looks like you got plenty to do,but if your bandit is anything to go bye,Im sure it will be a good rebuild thumbs

Thanks Lee, Just starting the polishing process tonight, removed the seized rear hub and freed everything up, coated it in nitromores and tomorrow I will be sanding and polishing, just for fun. It all needs doing at some point and it's nice to slot it in amongst other jobs to break it up a little. I was surprized to find that the alloy bits back then were polished and laquered not painted straight out the casting like more recent bikes. All the same though the laquer has corroded off and is just as big a mess as if it were old paint. Gaz thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:
Looking forward to watching the progress on the work. I think a bit of jealousy on my part, would like to do it but don't have the room or skills EmbarassedEmbarassed

Good luck with it, will keep looking for the photos and progress thumbs

Hi Mike, I really am not Proficient at this restoring lark at all. I tend to make a plan of action and stick to it rigidly, only change direction if it's essential and put the hours in, even when you don't feel like it, always do something. Theres always a small job you can do sat in a chair, clean a clock or assemble something. Give it a go mate, you really dont have to spend a fortune, although it is fun buying nice parts. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Would like to try it, but I don't have a garage at the moment, live in a flat, and my Mams garage already has three bikes in Shocked , so no room. May give it a go if move and get a garage. Should it happen, will let everyone know. Good luck in the "Restoration Race" thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:
Looking forward to watching the progress on the work. I think a bit of jealousy on my part, would like to do it but don't have the room or skills EmbarassedEmbarassed

Hi Mike, I really am not Proficient at this restoring lark at all. I tend to make a plan of action and stick to it rigidly, only change direction if it's essential and put the hours in, even when you don't feel like it, always do something. Theres always a small job you can do sat in a chair, clean a clock or assemble something. Give it a go mate, you really dont have to spend a fortune, although it is fun buying nice parts. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Would like to try it, but I don't have a garage at the moment, live in a flat, and my Mams garage already has three bikes in Shocked , so no room. May give it a go if move and get a garage. Should it happen, will let everyone know. Good luck in the "Restoration Race" thumbsthumbs
You must get a place with a garage Mike as i have no where to park me Rizla when i come up Very Happythumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@Gazman wrote:

You must get a place with a garage Mike as i have no where to park me Rizla when i come up Very Happythumbs

I'm sure we'll sort something out when you manage to get this far north without passing out from lack of oxygen foflfofl

@Stue11 wrote:
@Gazman wrote:

I'm sure we'll sort something out when you manage to get this far north without passing out from lack of oxygen foflfofl
thumbsVery Happythumbs

Few fresh pics of the slight modification to the rear peg mounts.

before with captive nut in place

after removing captive nut

Right side rear set and brake peddle mounted

Left side rear set mounted and gear shift linkage

Start the new seat unit tomorrow and squeeze in a little polishing, I't would be rude not too. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Just thought. Most people have a "bring a bottle" party. Couldn't you have a "bring a brillo" party and get the frame cleaned up? foflfofl

Just thought. Most people have a "bring a bottle" party. Couldn't you have a "bring a brillo" party and get the frame cleaned up? foflfofl

I know, what a state to let a bike get into. No point in cleaning it though, It will all come off with the blasting, just before powdercoat. thumbsthumbs

looks good gaz, tank looks in much better nick than that other one, have you got spare forks or are you going to get the stantions rechromed .
what colour are you doing the frame? applause

@pugeyed wrote:
looks good gaz, tank looks in much better nick than that other one, have you got spare forks or are you going to get the stantions rechromed .
what colour are you doing the frame? applause

Trouble is I have loads of ideas and I need to stick to one.The forks are fooked as far as the chrome is concerned, done a bit of investigating and compared prices etc, my gut feeling is to get these rechromed, that way it's an original Honda part, which I like the idea of. Tanks in pretty good nick and I am really beginning to like the colour and decals, thinking of having it all done back in that colour/ style and adapting the decals to do the seat unit to match, although I do have another couple of colour schemes in mind as well, As far as the frame is concerned, if I use the original Honda colour scheme/ decal idea, I will have the frame black but one of my other ideas involves lots of silver, probably liquid chrome paint on anything that is not polished. Will have to see what I fancy when the time comes. What about yours, got any ideas yet. I've got to say its a nice size bike, will probably pull well when it's going, does it run ? Gaz thumbsthumbs

sounds good, i too love the colour and decals on the tank, its nice and subtle.
frame would look great in black , it would match the decals nicely Wink
no plans as such just ideas at the mo, no its not running but dont think it will take much, engine has done just 10k, might take a peep inside just in case though.
thumbs

Just trying out the new Project section for size. I like it, I like it a lot. Can we have a coffee machine in here though ?, it's thirsty work uploading pictures and typing into the small hours. foflfofl

that or a vending machine gaz, i feel your pain with the pictures lol thumbs

Been busy today but progress was slow. Started off by giving the frame a bit of lypo suction, Removed all of the luggs and mounts that are not required any more, including the old back brake pedal mounting and the seat hinge and lock etc. Also modified the removable brace/ mudguard stay at the rear of the frame, making the frame a couple of inches shorter, ready for the new seat unit. Not gonna reveal the seat unit yet, as it is still work in progress but I think it's gonna be good.

Here's a few pic's of todays efforts, minus the new seat unit. thumbsthumbs

All surplus bits removed

Gaz thumbsthumbs

looks nice gaz are you gonna keep the centre stand or ditch it? thumbsthumbsthumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
looks nice gaz are you gonna keep the centre stand or ditch it? thumbsthumbsthumbs

Hello mate. No the centre stand will be removed before sand blasting but it's handy at the moment for getting around the frame etc. I will leave the centre stand mounts on, just to give me the option in the future, you can't see them down there anyway. Im pretty excited about the seat unit but I don't want to reveal it until I have it all worked out, got the photo's though and I think you will like it. What about you, done anything to your new project yet or is it still in the design stage. If you're anything like me you've probably stood and looked at it for hours, thinking of ideas ? Have you got any pic's up yet, I'm just about to take a look at your thread. Gaz thumbsthumbs

ahh come on you can tell us about the seat probably have more ideas than me at the mo, i haven't got mine home yet its being delivered next weekend, im really excited to be honest Laughing

@pugeyed wrote:
ahh come on you can tell us about the seat probably have more ideas than me at the mo, i haven't got mine home yet its being delivered next weekend, im really excited to be honest Laughing

I bet that's killing you, waiting. At least you'll have it all planned out by the time it arrives ? I will reveal the seat idea but I just need to make sure it's gonna work first. To be honest I think it will make a good little read as a project within the main project. Gaz thumbsthumbs

yeah it is a bit but it will be worth it, have no real plans as yet as i dont really know whats going to turn up or how much work he has done lol, have to wait and see.
working on her 2morrow?

@pugeyed wrote:
yeah it is a bit but it will be worth it, have no real plans as yet as i dont really know whats going to turn up or how much work he has done lol, have to wait and see.
working on her 2morrow?

Yes Mate, Hoping to make a little more impact than today and will probably polish a couple of bits as well, just to keep the day interesting. thumbsthumbs

Right, project going a little slow for my liking, I've been stumbling around doing lots of thinking and planing the project. I now have fairly good plans for how to proceed and have just returned from my welder buddy who has agreed to fabricate my new seat unit for me. I don't want to reveal my plans for the seat unit until I have something to show but I can say I am very excited by it. I just need to make scaled drawings a cardboard mock up and run the frame over to his workshop on Monday and he is going to fabricate the seat unit and frame mounts for me along with a new, repositioned battery box. For this weekend I'm going to start some serious polishing, anything alloy, fork legs, engine casings, handle bar controls, basically make a proper start and Sunday Brackley show. Gaz thumbsthumbs

looks like this will be a lot of fun M8 , I rode one of them way back in 1977 , my mate had it and i had the gt250 Suzuki ,

@madsod wrote:
looks like this will be a lot of fun M8 , I rode one of them way back in 1977 , my mate had it and i had the gt250 Suzuki ,

Yes' it's a tiny little bike but should be a lot of fun for next summer, just need to kick start the project and keep the momentum going. Can't wait to get it on the road though. thumbsthumbs

You know yourself you cant rush a good project mate thumbs

is that the DREAM or the super Dream , looks like the early dream to me . very best of luck with the build ,

hello mate, just got back from a short break so I haven't been active on here for a few days. I'm just about to take a look at your thread for some updates, hopefully there is some progress mate ? thumbsthumbs

@madsod wrote:
is that the DREAM or the super Dream , looks like the early dream to me . very best of luck with the build ,

Yes mate, it's a 1975 CB250 G5 Dream. No further progress as yet. need to get the seat unit fabricated and all mounts welded and then I can get the frame blasted and powder coated, been away though. thumbsthumbs

OK, so the the buffing wheels have had a nice rest for the last month or so. I've started to set about some of the alloy parts, ready for re assembly. Been busy making a model of the new seat unit, got that done and need to drop that, the frame and tank over to my fabricator this week so that he can do his bit and then it will be straight to powdercoat. I will post a couple of pics later, of today's progress. thumbsthumbs

Mark, like me, you don't have time to sit on the net, get on with it man. Been watching your progress mate with a mix of envy and a real sense of, I can't be bothered. Been flat out at work recently and it's taking it's toll on my energy levels. Still I'm back on it now. thumbsthumbs

I've hardly started Stue. Not much to get excited about but I will be posting pics tonight. thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:
I've hardly started Stue. Not much to get excited about but I will be posting pics tonight. thumbsthumbs
Very Happythumbs

Got a few pics here of yesterday and today's efforts. I'm using the original knackered tank off of the silver bike to create a seat unit, mocked up the rest of the seat unit out of cardboard ready for fabricating in sheet steel, the rear will house the repositioned battery and so a battery box will be welded to the frame in the correct position once the seat unit is made.

Today was just polishing, not a lot to show for a whole day's grafting but the Aluminium on this old bike is heavily corroded and needs cutting right back with the orbital sander before and buffing can take place and that's a long enough process on its own. Please with how it's looking though, the rear sets have come up very nice.

Brake pedel before polishing

36 year old engine casing brought back to life.

One day's work

Will keep the posts coming, now I've started again. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Change yer name Gaz after few beers things start to get wierd Gaz Very Happy
bloody nice job you have done there mate excellent thumbs

liking the seat gaz, what you gonna do about the hole at the back? custom rear light?
might have some polishing to send your way lol. thumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
liking the seat gaz, what you gonna do about the hole at the back? custom rear light?

Cheers Mark, I've made a template for a steel infill mate, I want to leave it proud of the rear profile though, so that it remains visibly a piece of petrol tank. At one point I was going to mount the rear light and number plate bracket off of it but I have a more innovative idea for mounting them now, using more of the redundant parts stripped off the bike a couple of weeks ago. If you have any small bits that need polishing, send them over or take a ride out here on the bandit, i'll do them while you wait, can't do to much though, it's more time consuming than most imagine, 9 hours for that little collection yesterday and i'm paying for it today, ache aint the word. I'll PM my address if you want to get anything to me. You going on the ride out on the 18th Sept, I'm going as long as it's forecast dry. Gaz thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:
@pugeyed wrote:

Cheers Mark, I've made a template for a steel infill mate, I want to leave it proud of the rear profile though, so that it remains visibly a piece of petrol tank. At one point I was going to mount the rear light and number plate bracket off of it but I have a more innovative idea for mounting them now, using more of the redundant parts stripped off the bike a couple of weeks ago. If you have any small bits that need polishing, send them over or take a ride out here on the bandit, i'll do them while you wait, can't do to much though, it's more time consuming than most imagine, 9 hours for that little collection yesterday and i'm paying for it today, ache aint the word. I'll PM my address if you want to get anything to me. You going on the ride out on the 18th Sept, I'm going as long as it's forecast dry. Gaz thumbsthumbs
You guys are bloody clever fairplay thumbs come on Mark more the merrier for the 18th thumbs love to meet ya all thumbs

Stue, I'm really looking forward to it mate, how many are going (weather permitting)? thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:
Stue, I'm really looking forward to it mate, how many are going (weather permitting)? thumbsthumbs
ile have a list sorted this weekend, but theres atleast 5 of me friends coming from south wales and were i live now, hopefully a couple more to add thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@Gazman wrote:
ile have a list sorted this weekend, but theres atleast 5 of me friends coming from south wales and were i live now, hopefully a couple more to add thumbs

Sweet, I'll be there mate. thumbsthumbs