Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

of the shelf or home made?

Guest Guest
just been checking out the new bike market and seen loads of street fighters and cafe racers that you can buy str8 from the factory, jhust wondering if you lot approve of buying ready made and well proven but generic bikes like this or if you think they should be a labour of love in you're garage creating something truly personnel as well as a bloody great mess.

If that's your thing then I see no valid reason not to buy a new one - it's not like you can't customise it further. Triumph seem to sell enough of the retro stuff to suggest that plenty of people feel the same way.

Guest Guest
triumph thruxton is one dam nice bike. not sold one the ducati street fighter however.

if it looks good out the showroom go for it. what some call streetfighters. 20k with of work into bikes is actually wrong in a way. the definition streetfighter is "to repair a sports bike as cheaply as possible", but times change and its all personal preference so if you like it go for it thumbs

i would buy a factory fighter then add the little extra's i want, hence the zed Smile also would love a thruxton in red with the checkered flag ovc!

dunno if i like the thruxton personally. i like old cafe racers with usd's chunky tyres etc put on. looks lush

the definition streetfighter is "to repair a sports bike as cheaply as possible"

No it's not and never has been, ripping a fairing off a damaged sports bike or sticking a pair of Renthalls and some twin bates on a Bandit will never make a streetfighter though to the uninformed they are.

Guest Guest
@Bezzer wrote:
the definition streetfighter is "to repair a sports bike as cheaply as possible"

No it's not and never has been, ripping a fairing off a damaged sports bike or sticking a pair of Renthalls and some twin bates on a Bandit will never make a streetfighter though to the uninformed they are.

think the whole defining what is and isn't is another issue entirely. just wondering what peoples views on the ready made things are.

im all for buying from a dealer, take a look at these

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bikes/

and as said, who is saying you cant customise it further.

im also for making something special yourself, i like the thought that the bike is unique.

(PS the definition of a streetfighter is something i really dont want to discuss lol, you would need the rest of your life to answer that question lol)

Hi Mate, This is what I think on the subject. I like many things, bikes, cars and guitars, amongst many other things. Some of my favourites are brand new and off the shelf and many are old and original and lots are old and modified. I don't think there is a right or wrong in anyone's choices but of course you will always attract other peoples opinions with the choices you make, that doesn't make them right or wrong. Noel Gallagher once said in an interview that there wasn't good or bad music only music you like or don't like. That is a good philosophy to have. He went on to say " who's to say the telletubbies are no good, my 3 year old loves them". I get that, music is for everybody not just a select few. I believe It's the same with everything in life, make your choice's and live by them. If you see a bike in a show room and you like it and can afford it, buy it, enjoy it and modify it if you want to and don't pay attention to other peoples opinions. One word of warning though, people will then label you arrogant so be prepared for that as well. There you go mate, philosophical and diplomatic in one paragraph, hope this helps. Gaz thumbsthumbs

@Bezzer wrote:

yeh not always bates or renthals. but thats how the craze started, then people with money liked it so made tens of thousands of pounds worth. Times change, but there is no clear deffinition imo, everyone has different views on it

@Gazman wrote:
Hi Mate, This is what I think on the subject. I like many things, bikes, cars and guitars, amongst many other things. Some of my favourites are brand new and off the shelf and many are old and original and lots are old and modified. I don't think there is a right or wrong in anyone's choices but of course you will always attract other peoples opinions with the choices you make, that doesn't make them right or wrong. Noel Gallagher once said in an interview that there wasn't good or bad music only music you like or don't like. That is a good philosophy to have. He went on to say " who's to say the telletubbies are no good, my 3 year old loves them". I get that, music is for everybody not just a select few. I believe It's the same with everything in life, make your choice's and live by them. If you see a bike in a show room and you like it and can afford it, buy it, enjoy it and modify it if you want to and don't pay attention to other peoples opinions. One word of warning though, people will then label you arrogant so be prepared for that as well. There you go mate, philosophical and diplomatic in one paragraph, hope this helps. Gaz thumbsthumbs
agree end off well said Gaz. thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@Gazman wrote:
agree end off well said Gaz. thumbs
agree thats put that to bed Laughing

i would defo buy one off the shelf if one took my fancy, would prob "individlize" it a bit. Very Happy

i think its a personal choice but you'll always take better care off/ love a bike you've built yourself owning it is a far more pleasurable experience and the one thing you can virtually guarantee is that know one will ever have 1 exactly like yours....the chioice is totally yours scratch

i would defo buy one off the shelf if one took my fancy, would prob "individlize" it a bit. Very Happy
agree