Ok so I'll start a little build thread

Hope you all enjoy the quick catchup

Started with this

Done this

A bit of this

then to

Postman brought me one of these

How she stands

Progress has slowed now and I'm trying to suss what bike to take the rear brake setup off. (Open to ideas and input)

Cheers

I cant help ya on any ideas but ile enjoy watching the progress Very Happythumbs

ITCHY wrote:
You rebuild/project Guys amaze me, you turn a piece of junk into summut megga thumbs

Cheers dude.

Just a whole lotta turd polishing!

Guest Guest

clip on's, twin high level pipes, rear sets, rs125 subframe and seat with single seat cowl and...hang on a moment i just made a mess in my pants Embarassed

@airlock wrote:
clip on's, twin high level pipes, rear sets, rs125 subframe and seat with single seat cowl and...hang on a moment i just made a mess in my pants Embarassed

The plan is a RS125 front end with clips, single under slung headlight, cafe single seat, standard pipes but cut off at just under foot pegs.

Well thats the plan anyways! lol

Guest Guest
see if you can shoe horn the gsxr-400 usd forks on there, go on.

@pugeyed wrote:
hmm guest?
whats goin on? Huh

I'm sure he was a member.

So thought I'd have a little look in the carbs

Gave em a little bit of a fighting chance.

Next job is to print the pages of the manual and strip em down properly.

i can get em much cleaner than that lol thumbs
just take the jets out and send em over matey. Laughing

@pugeyed wrote:
i can get em much cleaner than that lol thumbs
just take the jets out and send em over matey. Laughing

Dude if you're sure I'll finish sorting em out tomorrow and send em over.

A large pile of crap outta the float bowls

One cleaned

Also I've inadvertently fecked up one of the needles so gonna have to find a replacement. (damn it!)

ITCHY wrote:
You rebuild/project Guys amaze me, you turn a piece of junk into summut megga thumbs
agree

Cheers Mark but don't think thats the right kit.

I have found a company online 22.90 Euros per kit plus postage.

Hello mate, I can see you're having fun with this oldie. I'm sure you already know this but just in case it helps, it looks like your bike is a CB-250 G5. You will be able to find loads of Honda's of that period with the same carbs as yours. Gaz thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:

Hello mate, I can see you're having fun with this oldie. I'm sure you already know this but just in case it helps, it looks like your bike is a CB-250 G5. You will be able to find loads of Honda's of that period with the same carbs as yours. Gaz thumbsthumbs

One step ahead of ya Gaz Wink

Woops, I should have read the title of your thread before telling you what bike you had. My excuse is, i've been stood at the buffing wheels all day and my eye's are full of
s censored t. Apology's. thumbsthumbs

@Gazman wrote:
Woops, I should have read the title of your thread before telling you what bike you had. My excuse is, i've been stood at the buffing wheels all day and my eye's are full of
s censored t. Apology's. thumbsthumbs

pmsl

come on man, need some updates?
at least send me your carbs so i have summat to do, bored out me brain here ! Wink

@pugeyed wrote:
come on man, need some updates?
at least send me your carbs so i have summat to do, bored out me brain here ! Wink

Pmsl. You've been having some good progress!

Waiting on the feckin postman!

Nothing to update really. Tidied up my shed a bit but I'm sure you don't wanna see that lol.

anything is better than nothing lol.
ordering a few nuts and bolts up but nothing major , got no new parts on the way for mine apart from clutch spring from the states. Laughing

you running pod filters on it? if you are going to, fancy a pair? 52mm as i have no use for them now thumbs

@fr499y wrote:
you running pod filters on it? if you are going to, fancy a pair? 52mm as i have no use for them now thumbs

Yep the plan is for pods but thats a way off yet.

Post man brought me the rear brake set up and it was as described

What I didn't think about is that because the drive side of the Aprilia is not the same as the Honda, and I'm running the rear wheel backwards the caliper mounts point the wrong freakin way!!!!!!!!

Damn it.

Any ideas of 125 sports style bikes with the brakes on the near side?

Pays me to look at a job properly before commenting on how things don't fit!

I was offering the caliper up under the swingarm as thats how I wanted to fit it.

But now I've had time to look at it in the original 'above' the swing arm position I am liking it. I've taken a little time to make a carrier template out of card and will also make a template of the bracket I'll have to weld onto the arm itself.

Picture will follow but im a litle board waiting to pick the kids up from school.

Stay tuned!

Pays me to look at a job properly before commenting on how things don't fit!

I was offering the caliper up under the swingarm as thats how I wanted to fit it.

But now I've had time to look at it in the original 'above' the swing arm position I am liking it. I've taken a little time to make a carrier template out of card and will also make a template of the bracket I'll have to weld onto the arm itself.

Picture will follow but im a litle board waiting to pick the kids up from school.

Stay tuned!
I am tuned amd waiting Laughing

First attempt at caliper carrier.

Any thoughts ideas for improvement welcome.

The plan is to have a piece welded onto the swingarm then run 2x mounting bolts through the brackets with a spring between the parts to allow for a little movement.

hmm, could you use that plate you have made but instead of welding it to the swingarm make it so the rear spindle goes through it then run a torque bar to the swingarm?

@pugeyed wrote:
hmm, could you use that plate you have made but instead of welding it to the swingarm make it so the rear spindle goes through it then run a torque bar to the swingarm?

Hey Mark

Did think about this as my 'Plan A' with the under slung caliper.

Problem is mounting it at the top there's nowhere to run a torque bar as the damn suspension gets in the way. Personally it is the preferred plan but ain't gonna work unfortunately. So it's plan A.1 (at the moment)

hmm yeah i see what you mean, you could always make one that goes around the shock would still be nice and strong if you made it beefy enough , gotta remember only 25% of your braking comes from the rear.

or make a bar that goes from the top of your plate to the back of the shock mount, dont know how much room you have back there or if it would be strong enough?

Problem with any torque bar is the fact that the rear wheel is as fat as it is.

Think I'm gonna solid mount it all.
All I've done is made another template and mount it to the outer side of the caliper.

@madsod wrote:
that should work . will you weld it on the swingarm

Its cardboard, it wont weld on very well.

I was thinking of selotape....lol

Got my hands on some plate. Not overly interesting but it's still progress.

Only had 20mins after work to play with tools as the better half is off out!

But hopefully get some more time tomorrow night.

just takes ages to cut though doesnt it, oh for a plasma cutter. Laughing

@madsod wrote:
that should work . will you weld it on the swingarm

Its cardboard, it wont weld on very well.

I was thinking of selotape....lol

i did no that but most caliper mount move with the chain , that why i asked .

Mark - we've got a plasma cutter at work but the workshop is about 10 mile from the office so I don't get over there much.

Madsod - sorry couldn't resist.

I know what you mean but theres not gonna be that much movement (I hope) so going for a solid mount (maybe extend the holes caliper end to allow for a little adjustment)

Ok so we're changing direction with the caliper mount...again

Found this on eBay for less than a fiver thumbs

And it looks like this

I can then with this setup use a torque bar (I know I said there's not enough space..... I'm wrong again)
I could either shorten the original one or bend it a bit to clear the tyre.

Dude remember to watch what tyres you have fitted. With that, I presume is a 160 rear tyre?? It will stick to the road like dried shit to a blanket.

The issue is the frames back then are no way as stiff as they are today, hence the skinny tyres. You raz into a corner the bike will stick to the road but the frame may well melt. Very Happy

@darkember wrote:
Dude remember to watch what tyres you have fitted. With that, I presume is a 160 rear tyre?? It will stick to the road like dried shit to a blanket.

The issue is the frames back then are no way as stiff as they are today, hence the skinny tyres. You raz into a corner the bike will stick to the road but the frame may well melt. Very Happy

It's a 150 rear but will be replaced with a 140.

I was made very aware it the difference in the old tubular steel frames verses ally ones when I rode my old 350lc back to back with my mates nc31.

Bit this thing isn't being built as a race bike.
It's all about the looks baby!